Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Would i be allowed to watch a trial at court?
Find answers to your legal question.

Would i be allowed to watch a trial at court?

im a criminology student and never been in a court room, am curious to see exactly what goes on.
Does any one know if i would be allowed in to obseve even if i am not connected to the case

purplepadma
There is a public gallery in every courtroom which you are entitled to sit in and watch proceedings. The exception to this is Youth Justice cases, if the defendant is a young offender the public gallery will be cleared.

Many Courts also have open days where members of the public can tour the Court and find out about its workings - that way you may get to see other parts, such as the cells.

I would recommend reading up as much as you can on Court process before you go, so that you understand who is who and what's happening. It would also be worthwhile to try and go to both a Magistrates' Court and a Crown Court so you can see the differences.

x600525
Rating
all trials are open to the public, except for some special circustances.
hence the term public trial

god
Rating
Yes all court hearings except family proceedings are open to the public. Talk to the court usher or just go and sit in the area reserved for the public. you can walk in or out at anytime but not during a judgment.

Yahzmin (US)
Rating
Yes, you can. Certain cases are considered "open" and others are "closed" though, so you might want to check beforehand.

joe123
yes anyone can watch a court case as the law says that Justis has to be seen to be done.you can just go in and sit down.

dukalink6000
Rating
Unless the judge specifically bans people not related to the case, you may sit in, but you must remain for the course of the day's action.

You can't decide to split after 20 minutes, but are free to go when they take a break

stone
Rating
yes, most court rooms have a public gallery, you will be allowed in to most cases, unless it is a case of indecent assault involving a minor. Minor cases are usually held in a closed court.

puffy
Rating
Yes there is a public gallery in most courhouses. If its a big case though you need to get permission and probably book a seat!

Janbull
Rating
I did when my ex was up for ABH

tizzy
Rating
yeah you can, but check with the courts to be certain beforehand, but they do have a public gallery

st.abbs
Unless it's a "closed" courtroom then you are entitled to go in and listen to the cases

whatthewhocaresanyway
i dont know your location....different countries have different laws....if you are in the UK you can arrive at any crown court and sit in the public gallery and watch the whole show .....UNLESS the case involves persons who are protected from reporting....eg children....however 99% of cases are open to public viewing

On Time
Yes you can. Unless a judge has closed the trial to the public, which they can do for different reasons, or if it is a juvi case, then it is public. The best thing to do is go to the local court house to one of the judges chambers and tell the secretary that you would like to sit and watch a trial, and they will be happy to tell you when would be a good time or good trial and what court room it takes place in. You can always just show up and sit and watch whatever is going on, but a lot of times their aren't any trials going on. Usually just a bunch of hearings, or conferences. You need to find out when the civil and criminal TRIALS are taking place.

naplusultra
Public gallery? Anyone is allowed into court. No mobile phones, camera's tho. Good luck in your career.

angelswings
Yes you will be allowed in the courtroom, provided it is not a closed court" you will have to sit in the public gallery, and most courts welcome law students.

Nobody M
Rating
Absolutely you can. Some limits though: can't walk in and out while the jury is being charged; can't sit in on the jury deliberations; and can't cause a disturbance to the case.

Also, if you can't hear, that's too bad. You can't ask people to speak louder or show you exhibits or displays.

Martin
Rating
Most courts have a public gallery. This is a vital part of the system as it allows justice to be seen to be done.

badshotcop
Rating
I went to court, just show up a little way before the case and ask for permission to be entered.

mrg5150
Generally, yes. Ask the Clerk of the Court for permission though.

NOS4blood
Rating
if u know wat court its in and when it begins u can watch.

spoofred
it really depends on what the person is getting tried for

David D
Rating
Only if the public are allowed into the courtroom, which is the "norm".

norafarawi
Rating
go to www.ticketmaster.com :P ahhh juss playin :D

fr_chuck
Any case except Juv cases. unless the court room is cleared for a reason.

Just walk in, sit down and be bored.

frankmilano610
You can go in a court room

3D Farms
Rating
Yes , if it's a public trial

Matt M
Yes you probably will be but I think you need to arrive at the court early that day, tell the court clerk and then find out what cases are on the docket and what judges will allow it. The area behind where the lawyers and plaintiffs/defendants sit is called the gallery. I thought that they give preferential treatment in gallery to family members connected to the case, witnesses, reporters etc. but there is usually room left over for others.

You could also try watching court tv when they televise actual court proceedings.

breedgemh_101
If you are not a witness in a case, you are perfectly entitled to observe. Witnesses must wait to be called before entering the actual hearing.

bearerofknowledge
Rating
Get arrested and you'll not only be allowed you'll get front row seats. lol

kyle289652
Can an under 18 year old sit in a case?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Just got a speeding ticket through the post, if i cant remember who was driving me or my wife, who should pay?
or do the police have to prove who was driving, both of us are registered to drive the car and insured....

This cops been...?
This pig has been watching me for a while now..all ive been doing is standing on my block at the corner..and its makingme nervous....what should i do?:

dont go out there
or

Can a mother report her child as missing/runaway if she gave her permission to move out?
My niece(will be 18 in 3 month's) was given permission BY HER MOTHER to move out last Jan. On the 5th of April she reported her as a runaway/missing child. There has been nothing but animosity ...

I feel realy guilty but am i a bad person?
i work as a security guard at a locan shopping centre... two young guys were hanging around outside smoking i asked them to leave and they said they were waiting for there parents so i continued on ...

Isn't it better to Limit ownership of GUNs to police/security officers?

Can you get in trouble for fliping off a cop?

Better to hit-and-run or pull over if you get into a car accident while intoxicated?
I know what the moral answer is, but I'm wondering which will get you a lighter sentence. I'm trying to settle a bet with my friend....

Im going 2 college soon, but i've changed my career plan and want to be a police officer. should i still go?
im studing media, history, crictial thinking and english language, but i do really need to go to college or not? if so, what should i study in order to join the police?...

How many seconds after driving through a red light are you allowed before you get caught by the camera?
I received a letter saying I committed the offence of failing to conform with the indication given by a red traffic signal. The time into the red was stated as being 1.5 seconds. I have been led to ...

If your sentenced to life should it mean life like until they die i think so do u?

If a person is being abused physically or verbally could the person who is doing it go to jail?
If they can,for how long? What should someone do if they know someone who is abusing another person,but doesnt want that person to find out?...

If a 16 yr old gets a cell phone (prepaid) without her parents permission and pays for it with her own work $?
then can her parents take it away from her? ..or is it her property...or what? ...

Can I shoot a person breaking into my car in front of my home legaly?
I live in California and my car got broken into in front of my house parked in the street in the middle of the night.My driver side window was shattered and my stereo was taken. I have a firearm ...

If someone refuses to take a field sobriety test would the Officer still arrest you for DWI anyway?
Any Police Officer's out there to give advice on that?? If someone refuses to take the test on the side of the road, would you still arrest that person? How does that work?...

Do you like cops?

How many people on your Christmas card list are in prison this year?
Just wondering, or how many people do you meet in a week that have been in prison?

Specify where you live as the USA has lots and lots of prisoners?...

Would you do that ?
If you feel that police is not really doing anything to bring your rights.

If you feel that no one is really listening

Would you go in the street carrying a sign to bring ...

DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED...question. Can you help me settle an argument?
If seen by authorities, will a drunk man go to jail if he is sitting in his PARKED car WITH the keys in the ignition?

Will he go to jail if he is sitting in his PARKED car WITH his keys, ...

Can a cop pull you over?
can a cop pull you over because you look to young?
I am only fifteen i have to have someone older in the car that is 18 or older when i drive if i get stopped by my self how much trouble can i ...

Will the U.S. ever ban the gun?
After what happened at Virginia Tech and the fact that 80! Americans are killed every day by a gun do you think that America will ever ban all ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links