Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Would you call the cops if someone egged your car?
Find answers to your legal question.

Would you call the cops if someone egged your car?

I found 2 eggs someone threw on my windshield. Should I call the cops? Is it worth it? Would they do anything?

legal citizen
I suppose it depends on the laws where you live. I live in San Diego and it happened to me and the cops said they could not do anything about it.

babyshoes
Rating
yes.as long as you can prove it or have witnesses.egging a car is vandalism and punishable by law.

oldtimer
Rating
If you have no idea who did this, it probably will not do much good to call the police. However, if you do not report this incident it is likely to happen again. Reporting things like this let the police know there may be a problem in an area so they can be on the lookout for possible vandals. If the police do not know of a problem, they cannot be expected to stop it.

Leogirl0804
Rating
Unless you caught those that did the dirty deed, I would think you time would be best spent getting that egg off your car before it hardens.

joeanonymous
Rating
You were lucky they were on your windshield and not your paint.

What do you think the police will do?
Our service policy is that if there are no suspects, an officer will call you to get your details for the report but no officers will come out. Talk to your neighbours to see if they saw anything, if you have suspects then call the police, it is a mischief.

sandsunsurf
If there is no damage, then there is probably no crime to report. If there is a small amount of damage, then it would probably be a misdemeanor crime, so if no one witnessed it, there is nothing the police can do, so you would only want to spend the time for a police report if your insurance required it. I would say it's not worth your own time, unfortunately.

L J
Rating
Just get a hose and wash it off i mean you going to call the cops if a bird sh$ts on your car just wash it off.

Sweetness
Rating
If i knew who did it and i knew it was just a prank then probably not but if I knew who did it and it was out of vengence then yes i would. Hurry and get that crap off though, it will eat your paint.

Rating
No, it would be a waste of time, and besides, they wouldn't do anything anyway.

SGT. D
I would wash the car. By the time you get past (big IF here) the dispatcher and then fill out a statement, the car could have been washed. Just be glad it wasn't 9MM rounds.

bugged
That will depend on the size of your local agency. They will take a report over the phone. Basically it is to document it in case there are further problems down the road by someone. If you have a suspect or think you have a suspect..then they will usually come down and take a report in person and then go and talk to the other party.

Zero1
Rating
No, but then I'm ex-special forces and I usually take care of my own problems. I have a couple suggestions but I'll let you use your own imagination.

corezink
Of course they would, they'd get a good chuckle out of it.

JAD
Rating
Sorry to hear that. I guess you could. It is considered vandalism. It might be two eggs now but maybe much more or worse later. They could have a file and keep track on what's happening.

Rosebee
I would. At least they could take a report and keep an eye out for the buggers that did it. Probably kids.

Coconuts
Rating
My family had our car egged twice and the first time we reported it because we had to get our car repainted because we could not get it off. we reported it the second time so that just because of the damage the first time they never found who did it but the stepped up patrol in my area and it never happened. Now i would not report it if there was no damage just take it as a stupid kids prank but if it happens again or there is damage i would report it because you never know what the kids will do next

someonecanbme
the windshield can be washed and the egg does not cause permanent damage. NO.

rehcueguy
i don't even know what kind of charge would come up because it really doesn't damage property if taken care of. If anything it would be harassment but you would have to know who did it and even herder prove that they did it. Keep an eye out and take justice into your own hands if ya know what i mean
GL

tj
Rating
They will most likely tell you there is nothing they can do.
Even if you saw the vehicle and got the tag number and had their prints on the eggs.
This is a waste of time for them. There's too many victimless crimes (i.e. traffic tickets to write, drug users to catch) for them to worry about some petty vandalism or property damage that actually injured someone.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I gave a smart answer to a couple of police after they pull me over, does that give them the right to beat me?
They wanted to know where I lived and asked me my name. I told them John Doe and I lived down on penny lane. They stop me for nothing....

Do DEA agents smoke weed ?

Should marijuana be legal?

What do you tell a judge to get out of a speeding ticket 15mph over?

Whats wrong with these MADD mothers?
Can't they leave enough alone. The BAC level has been lowered to .08. They are making it impossible to go out for drinks. Just because they don't want to have fun is their own problem. ...

What's the meaning of CSI?

Do Police Community Support Officers (PCSO) have the power of arrest?

Additional Details
Let's make this a little clearer. Can PCSOs only make a citizens arrest, or can they make a proper arrest like a normal copper can?...

Is it just me or does the police force contain a disporportionately large amount of angry, rude people?
Note: I didn't say all. I said disporportionately large.

Call me codependent, but i myself value politeness to and from all people, even to cops. I call them for a simple question ...

How far would you go to help a cop?
The pay is bad, no respect, and many citizens look the other way when cops need help.

In fact, just a week ago I witnessed a car veer off the road and side swipe a police car that had ...

Would not allowing a dwarf to be a police officer be discrimination?
I think so, but my friends disagree. Who do you think is correct and why?...

Wat do i do if sum1 breaks into my house and i hav a knife and im not shur whether or not he is armed?

Additional Details
ok i no 2 call the cops, but im scared tht if he cs me duin this, he will jus shoot/stab me and thn run away
im pretty shur i cud take most robbers in a fite, ...

Opinions of the British Police?
Of all the people who have a bad view of the police, is this because of your own experiences, third hand information from friends or just ignorance?
Additional Details
Would appreciate ...

I was wondering if being nude on your own property and people can see. Can you be arrested is it illegal. brb?
If I were to go naked on my front porch or in my yard can I be arrested for being naked on my own property. Even if police, adults or children whom ever where to see me. Is it illegal. T...

What colour is a Polar bear?

What Punishment do u think this guy deserves?...?
Man urinated on dying woman

By ONLINE REPORTER
September 19, 2007

A MAN who urinated on a stricken disabled woman as she lay dying in a street is facing jail after ...

If my roomate is on probation and authorities come to search our place, can they search my room?

What do you call a person who escaped from jail?
what do you call this?? prisoners escaping from jail or prisoners who already escaped from jail what are they called?...

Wearing seat belts?
I understand that there are some exemptions, such as lorry drivers etc. Do the police have this exemption? Have seen numerous that don't wear them.
Also seen them on the radio, yet we can�...

Is my friend going to prison?
My friend has 6 charges against him, for animal cruelty, resisting arrest, possession of a fire arm, obstruction of property and they found a sawed off shotgun on him and 2 other charges I dont know ...

What's the best thing to say to a cop?
What's the best thing to say to a cop to get out of a speeding ticket?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links