Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

After my mother's death my brother claimed her house as his own [she died intestate]. Can he do this?
Find answers to your legal question.

After my mother's death my brother claimed her house as his own [she died intestate]. Can he do this?


no he cant and he knows it. Dont let yourself get pushed around.

you dont say where in the world you are but in the uk it goes as such:
If this occurs it means obtaining Letters of Administration and appointing your administrators can take months and in some cases years. This can mean that your surviving spouse may have a period without access to the money that is part of your estate and this can last for some time.

In the event of intestacy there are rules that decide who gets what after your death. If the person who has died has a surviving husband or wife and there are no relatives of a certain type they the spouse will be entitled to everything. If there are children, parents or siblings (brothers and sisters) the following occurs in order of preference.

Shared between children, grandchildren or other lineal decedents else:
Shared between parents else:
Shared between siblings:
If there is no surviving husband or wife the following occurs in order of preference:

To issue on the statutory trust if there are any else:
To the parents split equally else:
To the siblings (brothers and sisters) else:
To the grand parents split equally:
To the aunts and uncles split equally:

stick man
Not unless she put his name on the title before her death. Get an attorney.

It probably depends on what state the property is in. In California, if the person dies without leaving a will, the proceeds are divided equally among the children.

no seek legal advice

He has no more right to it than you do unless your mom put it in her will that he gets it, or if he has some sort of authority concerning her estate. Get an attorney if you want part of it too.

No, all assets are to be divided by next of kin. In this case it is you and your brother. You have the right to claim your half. I would really push for it if i were you.

True B
It would depend on who has been appointed the Executor.

You should get some legal advice

Trish D
Depends on the law wherever you are.

No because if even if does, he holds on to trust for himself and others in the family who will have a share, you can protect yourself by registering a notice on properties charges register to prevent further dealing. You should go to solicitor, will all the facts chronologically laid out.

technical difficulties
is there a will stating this? if not then the property goes to the state or the power of attorny.

your brother can't do anything yet.

he'll have to get it through legal means.

Calamity Jane
No, other siblings have a right to their parents property after they have passed over. Go see a solicitor/lawyer.

Been There Done That
If there is a will it goes by what she willed. If there is no will, it is to be split between to two equally. You need to find Probate Court in your state.

Sally J
I am no lawyer, but in the UK, if someone dies without having made a will, I believe the estate goes to next of kin. If there are just the two of you, you will probably SHARE it.

GET LEGAL ADVICE. I don't think your brother can do this!

Good Luck

Becky J
No, intestate property goes to children first.

you will be suprised what people can do.
Did she have a will if not your screwed he is not claiming you.

yes because he has. ha.

my mother died 3years ago leaving her house to me 2 brothers and 1 sister,in the will it states that all the time my brother wants to live there we cannot sell im i also entiteld to stay there

hi i want to know onething we are from andhra pradesh in india .my mother has house but now she expaired last year.now that property can share all means daughters and sons other wise how.if share my father also get a share or not?she did not write any will before she death.now wt we can do.will it share all family like my father and my brothers and siters or it goes to only my sisteres.plz tell me your good suggetions please.

Hi, My mum died without leaving a will, She had three children one a minor. The two of us who are of age have applied for letters of administration but brother to my mum has objected. I want to know if he can do this and what is the next step of obtaining letters of administration without him included.

My mum die left no will I am the only surviving imediate family do I need to apply for letters of administration for the property it is in barbados..

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Would you feel safer if guns for citizens became illegal?
Taking into consideration that there have been at least 8 mass shootings in the US in the past month, would you want to restrict guns for only the police and military? I certainly would. If I was ...

 If there were no laws for a whole day, what would evreyone do?

 Do people who believe that people should be able to do whatever they want to their bodies . . .?
favor amputating healthy limbs if the person wants them removed? Why or why not?...

 Should asylum seekers, refugees and any other type of immgrant be deported from the uk if they are criminals?
I mean people who have been convicted and served their sentance, and people who have commited serious crimes, or a series of petty crimes (and show no signs of stopping).

I sympathise with ...

 Do you think prisonment for parking in a disabled bay is a good idea?
I had a long drive back home yesterday and was listening yo a debate about people parking in disabled bays and there was suggestions that offenders should be put in prison,how scary is it becoming to ...

 I was just abused by my moms boyfriend, what procedures should I take to make sure I get justice?
I said I was going to kill myself and he said How about i help you and jumped on my and threw my head into the corner of a wooden computer desk then when i was trying to defend myself i think he ...

 My son up at court. stole my car. let his freind drive it who crashed it.my son then set it on fire?
hes got an arson charge.no insurance. no licence.obstucting a police officer.criminal damage. theft of the vehicle. hes friend crashed it through two walls then my son set it on fire tut tut.car was ...

 Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?

 Should we be informed if a paedophile is living nearby?
I've been living in my current home with my 4yr old daughter 4 15mths now & I read in the paper yesterday that a paedophile has been living in a house that runs parallel with mine.
All ...

 Should an I.Q. test be required for people seeking public office?

 Does the FBI e-mail before arresting u?
I was notified by someone claiming to be and FBI agent he told me that I was going to be arrested for not wiring money to a person in nigeria the sum of 524.00 and now the FBI is telling me I got 48 ...

 Should smoking be outlawed in bars, restaurants, and other public places?

 If I said "stop" and the girl doesn't stop, is it considered rape???
I went to this party and i met a girl, she had a crush on me...and i somehow liked her to....it was all a case of "consenting adults"...until she became reckless...i told her to stop but ...

 Why do people ask so many dumb questions?
They can obviously work Yahoo Answers but they've never heard of a search engine????...

 Drink driving can my friend be prosecuted??
My friend was out a few months ago now had just filled up car with petrol drove a few miles and his car broke down.
he had a bottle of vodka in car for later that night but decided to drink it ...

 Why is it, that we do not all have the right to Free Health Care?
We live in the " Power Belt" of the world called"" AMERICA""and no health ins for our ...

 Is it legal to open other people's mailbox to put in some advertising material from my company???
I've being thinking on doing some advertising on my neighborhood for my company. and i'm not very sure of if I can do this........the main objective is to put in a flyer on the mailboxes. I...

 What would you do if someone started making threats to you in public and around little kids?

 If you ordered a laptop online and received two in the post by accident, would you contact the store?
I purchased a £500 hp laptop online and it seems the store messed up a bit, they were supposed to send it out on Tuesday but they didn't, i received on on Thursday which they had sent on the W...

 Is this legal?
I was shopping the other day at a clothing store in El Paso TX. I went to the dressing room to try on some clothes and they told me I had to pay $1 to use the dressing room. At first I was like '...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, February 13, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links