Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can I get a gun license with a mental illness history?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I get a gun license with a mental illness history?

never been hospitalized but had therapy with a psychiatrist. What are the illinois restrictions?/

Dave
Rating
no you cant dude. im sorry but here in texas if your mentally ill you are not even aloud to enter a gun shop else you get a fine upto $60

monkseeker44
Rating
I'd like a gun, then i'd be able to hold up drug dealers and take their money.

scottsherriand
What kind of mental illness?

Funky Farmer
I expect you can LOL After all he rest of the gun owning population got theirs

Jennifer H
I own several firearms and all I can say is God, I hope not.

®PsychologyGuy
If you don't report it, they would never know. However, there are reasons they want to restrict this. *Most* mental illness falls into two categories. Either something along the depressive spectrum, or something along the psychotic/anti-social spectrum. People on the depressive side are more likely to attempt and succeed at suicide if they have a gun. On the other side of that fence, they are more likely to harm or kill someone with a gun.

So...what is your motivation for wanting a gun and what was your reason for needing therapy?

buffalo
Rating
No . but you can get a gun. go for it. Colleges are prim e spot to check it out

Chris
Rating
it is illegal only if you have been a patient of a mental hospital in the past 5 years.. or if you are mentally retarded.

no-one important
I guess you could but why would you need a gun in the first place?

Witch
Rating
Heh, if they give you a gun Im staying well away!

lladnylnavillus
Rating
Have no idea what their restrictions are but definitely you should not be able to get a license for a firearm.

Jess :)
i want a gun! besides surely having a mental illness history means that the news men can make loads of money if you terrorise the community.

im sure you either can or cant get a gun. i dont know.

entropys_advocate
Rating
If you were never hospitalized then there should be no history of mental illness.

angiee
Rating
i dnt think u vill but still it depends on till vat excess u have recovered...

topendgirl
do you have a criminal record?

werwolff2008
Try traveling to Texas and buy a machine gun.

ben s
Rating
look get the gun first, then if it becomes an issue you can always throw the gun in the river and make a quick run for it...

Or you can do the next best thing.. Get Married..

BT
And you need a gun for what again?

Golden
Rating
obviously not from texas. therapists in texas are required to issue you a six pack and a firearm as treatment.

Renay
Umm.. if you have a criminal record .. its not a good idea anyway

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can a store clerk legally refuse to take a bunch of pennies?
I had saved $87 in pennies - 8700 pennies... and then I came to a local liquor store and dumped all the pennies all over the counter for the idiot to count... My purchase came to $85 or so, so I knew ...

Do you think abortion should be legal?
I obviously have my own opinion, because I'm catholic. But does anybody else think it should be legal. In my opinion, it shouldn't be a woman's choice, whether they are risking ...

One something is thrown into the trash, can anyone legally take it?
One something is thrown into the trash, can anyone legally take it?

I can't seem to find the info on the internet...
Additional Details
Are there any links I could look ...

Is having an abortion murder?
Some people believe it is murder, some do not. One thing is clear though, it either is or it isn't. State your opinions....

Is this racial profiling?
When 80% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 80% of the population is black is it racial profiling or the Law of Probability?...

I got caught speeding! 70 in a 55. Is it worth it to go to court?
The ticket was issued in Wisconsin. About 6 months ago I was caught speeding in Illinois, this was my first ticket. I chose to take a defensive driving course to get the ticket taken off my record. I...

Should drug addicts be sent to jail?

What is your opinion on the new smoking laws?
also are you a smoker or non-smoker....

Do you think Al Sharpton's....?
15 minutes are up? I do! First he's yammering about Imus, and ( yes, it was wrong what Imus said to the Rutger's team but he shouldn't have gotten fired over it.) NOW, Mr. Sharpton is ...

What is the worst crime / illegal act you are willing to admit to?
I read an article that law-abiding citizens, people from so-called 'respectable backgrounds' are/have committed crimes or illegal acts in the same rate and manner as the paupers, rif-raf, ...

What are some reasons why the death penalty is in place?
Do people think it helps stop the crime rate?...

Are you more worried about the 4 burned flags or the 50 million Americans who can't see a doctor?
Last year, four flags were burned. 50 million couldn't see a doc.

Should the US be able to provide the services to its legal citizens that Canada somehow is able to provide?...

A friend of mine died yesterday. What can his roommate do regarding the other half of his rent?
Who's typically obligated to pay it and is there anything the roommate can do about it? We've taken up a collection for him, but is there a more permanent answer?
Additional Details

Do u think marijuana should b legalized? Y?/ Y not?

Can I be charged for resisting arrest?
If I am not being arrested?

Lets say I get pulled over and the cop goes back to his car to write a ticket and I begin to resist arrest in my car then stop when he comes back....

Whats your thoughts on abortion?
i'm not talking about relgiously, im talking about politically... i have my own opinion, and i was just looking to see what other people thought... like for those who are against it... why do ...

If your boss walked in to your office right now and fired you, how long would it take you to pack your office?
Would you need more then one box?

I'm looking around and I must practically live here because so much of the stuff in this office is mine. It would take me half a day to sort through ...

Blacks vs.White.... White vs Black?? People get real?
I just sent a "?" regarding why white people get angry...I am not racis at all! I was not talking about all white people, but there are some! Let the truth be told people pretend to like ...

Should writing a short story about a school shooting warrent expulsion?
even when the kid i am talking about didnt use any names and didnt even bring the story to school. his mom found it and called the cops who told the school who expelled him.
Additional Details

How do you feel about euthanasia?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, December 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links