Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can I sue my city for injuries my child received at a city owned skating rink they charge admission for.?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I sue my city for injuries my child received at a city owned skating rink they charge admission for.?

cincywahine
NO....

You knowingly took your child that...or at least your child was their voluntarily. I do not think that the city FORCED your child to skate.

Kids skate....skating causes accidents and injuries...who is to sue?

My son is 6 and loves to skate...and he is quite good if I say so myself...but I know the dangers of him skaeboarding. If he is to get hurt...regardless as to where he was skating...it would be his/my fault. No one made him skate.

Don't you ever watch those stupid shows about what happens when kids skate?

What are you thinking? Please take some responsibilities for your actions and teach your son the same.

Jessica W
not likely. you can probably try. Most skating rinks have a notice that you are skating at your own risk. they probably are well covered for injuries whether or not they cahrge admission for it.

Sgt. Pepper
Rating
I doubt you can, there should be disclaimers posted warning you of the risks and their lack or liability.

Anyways, you shouldn't. Being a landscape architect who has designed skate parks in the past, I feel that cities willing to invest the money to create a place where the users can safely do what they want without fear of getting in trouble is a rare and admirable feat. It's people who sue who will make places, and soon parks in general, obsolete.

Yahzmin (US)
Rating
Many skating rinks have posted signs stating that participation is at the person's own risk, to avoid such a situation. You need to do some research before you waste your time and/or money to see if that is the case. Then, contact a lawyer about doing something on a contingency basis. Hope the child is OK!

charles o
the probabaly will not have liability

2/3 the last rinks i went to say "______ rink excuses itself of all liability"

Mark O
Rating
I am sure the quick answer is Yes.

However, is this really the right thing to do? Was the city somehow responsible for your child's injuries? Or perhaps was your child behaving irresponsibly...or were you or another adult not supervising properly?

We sue far too often in our society, and the costs affect all of us.

msi_cord
Rating
You might be able to. If this is just an accident, your child fell, you will be less likely to win. However, if the city is clearly negligent, some danger above the implied danger already associated with ice skating, you will be more likely to win.

Gottlos
How was it their fault your kid got injured?

Thomas J
Rating
you can sue whomever you want. the question i would have is why are you suing- was it negligence on their part, or was it just your child doing something that lead to the injury and you just want to get money? if it is the former, then you may have a case. if it is the latter, then you are one of the reasons our legal system is a disaster.

Terry
Rating
That depends on what happened. Was the child properly supervised? Did it follow all the posted rules? Was it in any way responsible for the injury? Was anyone else involved?

Goose&Tonic
You don't give enough details. What was the nature of the injury? How did it occur? Was it becuase your kid fell down and went boom or becuase of direct negligence on the part of the skating rink?

Suing for suing's sake is ridiculous and is only going to end up raising your taxes. If you child isn't permanently injured or the hospital costs are minor, get over it and set an example for your child -- personal responsibility.

If the city blatantly did something that led to your child being harmed and your child is irreparably damaged, then you can and should sue. If not, move on.

Kutekymmee
Rating
only if you can prove that the injuries were the result of something they did or did not do, that they reasonably should have. for example, if they did not maintain the rink properly and that caused an injury, you may have a case. If your child just fell from normal skating, you do not.

All hat
Rating
Why not? A lady sued McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on her leg - perhaps you can act as honorably too -

Terri
How was your child injured?

I'd say no, because every skating rink I have seen has said "Skate at your own risk" or similar statement somewhere at the entrance.

chuckles
no i think you can only sue the skating rink if your going to sue

Seikilos
Rating
Unless exempt by law, you can sue anyone or any business for anything, but winning is another matter.

A skating rink comes with natural hazards because of the nature of the sport of skating. Every person who has learned to skate has fallen or crashed into something at some time during this activity.

If you sue because your daughter fell or ran into someone or something while skating it is not likely you will win.

If she was injured because of an act of neglect by the owners or their employees, then you may win.

An attorney can evaluate your chances.

George B
No. If you live in an intelligent and caring city part of the ticket you bought goes towards an insurance policy if someone becomes injured.

jack w
Rating
Talk to an attorney. Some municipalities exempt themselves from liability. Your state laws may also be a factor. Good luck.

Scott K
Absolutely, at least if the city is in the USA. Usually, there is some kind of disclaimer at the ticketing booth, but that isn't enough to grant them total immunity. You will likely have to prove negligence on the city's part; e.g., they didn't maintain it properly, they didn't adequately supervise the rink, etc. You'll need an attorney, of course.

lizzie s
Rating
if a release was signed no but otherwise yes.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What would you do?
what would you do if you saw a friend stealing something off a mutual friend? neither the victim of the perpetrator know that I saw this, but I feel he shouldn't get away with what he's ...

If I live with some, do i have rights to their property?
My friends dad has some woman living with him (g/f). What rights does she have to the house he shared with his deceased wife??
Additional Details
Hi, UK & no my friends not a ...

.I have made a will leaving my house and money to my lover will my wife and daughter have any claims?

Are you required by the Constitution to have a driver's license in order to drive on public roads?
I have wondered before if you really need the approval/permission of the government/state in order to drive a privately owned vehicle on public roadways. I have found several references both in S...

"If" the Government banned guns would you turn yours over?

Do you think the Americans have the right to jail a harmless UK computer nerd Gary McKinnon?
Gary McKinnon was arrested in 2002 following charges by U.S. prosecutors that he illegally accessed 97 government computers -- including Pentagon, U.S. army, navy and NASA systems --I do not believe ...

Should the gov't legalize marijuana?
With the US economy in a recession, do you think it's a good idea for the gov't to legalize marijuana? I can see pros and cons of legalizing, but do you think taxing it will benefit the ...

Vick made a plea bargain with federal prosecutors, now county prosecutors want him. Is it double jeopardy?

What is the law regarding pay when working christmas eve?
am sure if u work christmas eve past a certain time u are supposed to be paid more?
Additional Details
i know its not a bank hol - just thought u got paid extra if u worked past a ...

Can I sue my Husband's parents for having him?
Get me my attorney....

Why do grocery stores throw out old food and not give it to the poor?

Additional Details
The food is not spoiled people. My sister worked in a grocrey store and she told me that even non perishable goods are thrown out after 3 months cuz the companies ...

I got a ticket and...?
well its been about 6 months since i got this ticket and it didnt have a fine to pay it just said court it was for driving trough someones yard ( didn't even leave a mark just flattened grass) ...

Do you believe there should ever be times when Freedom of Expression should be limited?
What do you think?...

Is the death penalty society's correct response to murder?
Society lives by symbols.
The money in your pocket has no real value, it is a symbol of value.
The death penalty is a symbol of society's values. It says there are some crimes so ...

Are the names Hitler and Hussein synonyms with evil?
If yes, why are children taken from parents for naming their children after Adolf Hitler, but okay to elect a person as a President of a country with the name Hussein?

http://www.nj.com/...

I know someone who is working here illegally, whats worse is that his son is a right crook/thug.?
Would u report them and anyone got any clues as to how i report them?...

So who thinks prince Phillip is a Nazi and a racist.?
personally,i have no time for any of the royal family,but mohamed al fayed said exactly what a lot of people thought about him,but could not say,...

License suspended 3 years for breathalizer refusal wtf?
my ma license was suspended for 3 years for refusing the Breathalyzer plus 210 which the court gave me. so almost 4 years. i was under 21 when it happened. has this happened to anyone? and is there ...

The right to discriminate or the right to religious faith ---- gay adoption !!!?
who is right about the issue of gay adoption ? the british government or the Catholic Church.
Additional Details
for people who quoted from the bible , in GENESIS 9:3 Everything that ...

What Do You Guys Think Of Guantanamo Bay? Should It Be Closed Down?
Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Sunday the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay for foreign terrorism suspects should be immediately closed and its inmates moved to the United S...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links