Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can a verbal agreement hold up in court?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a verbal agreement hold up in court?

kloackster
Rating
yes especially if there are witnesses

Crace
Rating
It can. But The Court would belive you more If you had a written agreement. If I were you I'd always a written agreement

Rebecca
Yes, a verbal contract is still a contract. Unfortunately, it becomes hard to prove because it becomes a he said/he said type of situation. It will depend on whom the judge believes.

kim
only if the person who made the verbal agreement with you agrees that you did have a verbal agreement or if there were trustworthy witnesses to this verbal agreement

?
Rating
yes they can

speddy
Rating
Yes if their are wittiness to it and also i was a juror on such a case we voted for the old lady who said she was being robed by her soninlaw who said he did not have to pay her since it was not a written contract but verbil or written they still will stand up in court

Dorothy and Toto
Rating
YES! The exception is real estate, which must be in writing.

Earl D
Rating
Generally only if state law allows it. Calfornia does, but it's hard to enforce.

SoCal Attorney
Rating
Verbal agreements can be upheld in court, but you still carry the burden of proving the terms of the agreement.

People enter into "verbal" agreements all the time, practically every day. When you go to buy gas, the price is listed on the pump. When you put the credit card in the machine, there is an agreement that you will pump the gas and pay the credit card bill when it arrives. There is no written contract for the purchase of the gas, but there is proof of the contract.

sonyack
Rating
It might, depends. Got witnesses?

Sam Goldwyn, of MGM fame, noted for his "Goldwynisms," said "A verbal contract is not worth the paper its written on."

Nancy Kay
Rating
Very little in the legal field can "hold up" if it is not in writing, and the law prescribes certain types of contracts that can NEVER be oral...so as a general rule of thumb, NO.

laughter_every_day
Certain kinds of contracts must be in writing. For example, a contract for the sale of real estate must be in writing. Most do not. You should know, however, that not every "agreement" constitutes a binding contract.

crazycora
Rating
not usually, get everything that matters in writing (signed and dated)

Rada S
more of an up hill battle than if you have something in writing, but It can be done!

drniles81
Yes, oral contracts are good as long as one can prove firm offer, valid acceptance and proper consideration, as with written contracts. Witnesses may be necessary depending on the state. The exception is that certain contracts, like contracts for the sale of goods over $500 and contracts for marriage, can only be made in writing or else they violate the statute of frauds. It's best to look at your state's Uniform Commercial Code to find out what is required for any contract, and their specific statute of frauds.

a
Rating
yes it can. However, you will still to show the court proof of the agreement. It may be in how someone acted or what was sold, etc.

marklemoore
Rating
Yes. Usually you need two credible witnesses to it (other than those who made the agreement).

vanamont7
Sam Goldwyn: " A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on. "

Cimp L
Of course it can - it's an agreement between 2 people. Right - credible witnesses that are not allied with either party to the agreement. This is not like in a police case where other police are "witnesses" - that of course is bogus since they are not disinterested

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What are some names for people who run from the law?

Really wierd question.. Are you allowed to just start a new country with some signatures?
I figured America was founded just by attacking tribes, why cant people do that today?...

How Corruption can be brought under control in our country?

Do you think 16 is too young to drive?
As more teenagers get there liscense, there are more car crashes. But, you can't blame the careless ones and spoil it for the others by saying oh you cant drive til 18, what do you think?...

I wanna know what a homicide is? I never knew what that was.?

What do i do to get my son if my wife cheating on me. she leaving me for another man after 8 yrs of marriage.?

Additional Details
she fail in love with another soldier within a month time. this guy just came back from iraq and now he coming back over here.they plan on moving in together after i ...

I fell at work and then was fired. What should I do?
I was finishing up a task at work one day when I slipped on an overly wet floor (mopped) and partially dislocated my hip. I told the owner and the human resources person the same day. I was told that ...

How does a non Christian/Atheist living in Christian country swear the oath in court?
"The whole truth..." etc when they don't believe in the Bible and the judge doesn't believe in for e.g. the Koran etc.......

Can a goverment be tried for treason if they lied to the people?
the e.union ...

Is it OK to steal from a thief?
I know it would make me a thief also but this is a litttle diferent. My neibor just got his lawn mower stolen, we noticed while walking on our creek that this guy who lives just down the road from us ...

What type of legal trouble could a Man get into If?

Additional Details
If a Man accidently raped a woman? What if a man wearing a ski mask broke into a woman's home tied her up and raped her, only later to explain that he was only ...

Do you think Bush is telling the whole truth about his reason for going to war?
Is the freedom of the press actually controled by "The Powers That Be"? Explain your response of need be.
Additional Details
TO KNOW THE REAL TRUTH....you must wittness it.......

My boss opens everyone's e-mail before we see it, is it illegal to do that ?

WHat can i do about Death threats?
My ex boyfriend has been threating me for two days now about how hes gona shoot me and my new boyfriend. Its real immature, i should get my number changed but i fear that if i do, he might start ...

What a rip off?
I have a guy who works for me and he was short on cash. He went on line and borrrowed 400.00 bucks. Now they are debiting his checking acct for the next 4 months at 90.00 a month. How can the banking ...

What is worse: 3000 dead from 911 or 120,000 in Iraq.?
Do you think the invasion of Iraq is justified?...

Im scared. what do I do?
our neibour touches me and kisses me. he said that if i told annyone he would kill my dad or set our house on fire. all i have got is my dad...i don't want anything to happen to him. if i tell ...

Should euthanasia be legalised in the uk?

Do i have to open the door to be served a subpoena?
The court is trying to serve me another subpoena again!~i was served one time and they postponed the hearing!i will not testify against my huband and they keep coming to the door looking fot me ...

Can my parents take my money and property from me?
Im getting a C in school, and that's the only reason they have for confiscating my money and possessions. Can they simply take my money and property, use the money, throw away the property, and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links