Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can i legally kill my neighbors dog for trespassing on my property and attacking my cats?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can i legally kill my neighbors dog for trespassing on my property and attacking my cats?

Yak Rider
If the dog is on your property, and YOU feel like you are in serious, imminent danger, kill them. Remember, tell the cops YOU felt that you were in "imminent danger of serious bodily harm."

Lillian
No but you can call animal control and make a complaint. The best thing to do would be to keep your kitties housebound until that beast is under control.

Logic316
Rating
If it's actually going after your cats, then yes. Your cats are only considered personal property under the law, but so is your neighbor's dog. If your neighbor's property threatens to damage or destroy your property, you can use any reasonable amount of force to stop it. I know for a fact it is legal for farmers to shoot any dogs that threaten their livestock, so I don't see why you can't do the same to protect other kinds of animals that belong to you as well. Personally though, I'd rather go after the damn thing with a broomstick and put up a fence.

Tater1966
Rating
In the state of NC you can. My step mother shot and killed 3 Dobermans that kept coming over and killing her animals. The deputy sheriff told her if she could kill them if they were on her property. And there was nothing the neighbor could do about it, he refused to keep his dogs on his property

Pascha
Rating
If the dog is in the process of attacking your cats, can;t you use pepper spray to chase it away? I think you are allowed to protect your animals on your property from an animal that comes onto it. But it is not necessary to use excessive force.
And if you are shooting at a dog in a town or a city, you would be in big trouble for endangering people.

Chance20_m
Probably not, but it all depends on where you live. Contact animal control, and maybe a lawyer too. You could always file a civil case against your neighbor.

litecandles
Rating
Look up the local laws and find out. It seems that in this case it would be OK. But it must be done humanely. Like I said, look up the laws first.

Voice of Liberty
Most counties/cities/jurisdictions have leash laws. Call your local animal control officer and file a complaint. If you come to find that your neighbor is violating the law, demand that he/she be cited.
Option#2 - Tell your neighbor that the dog is aggressive toward you and that you will kill it in fear that it will attack. When they begin to argue simply tell them that if you do happen to club or shoot the dog it would be justified and you were simply trying to warn them. Most jurisdictions do have provisions for justification of lethal force on an animal. Check your local laws.

buttfor2007
Rating
Why kill the dog when you can sue your neighbor, make money, and send a message to that dog lover?

angela d
YOU CAN KILL THE DOG IF YOU HAVE SOME MONEY (YOU"LL HAVE TO PAY THEM) IF THEY TAKE YOU TO COURT. IF THEY LOVED THAT DOG THEY WOULD KEEP IT SAFE. IF I WAS YOU I WOULD NOT LET THIS DOG TAKE OVER MY CAT & YARD. YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR FAMILY, HOUSE, CAT, AND YARD SAFE. DON'T KILL IT. DON'T SIT BACK AND LET THEM TAKE OVER YOUR CAT AND YARD . PLEASE STAND UP FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR CAT.PLEASE!!!

Ed Borden
If the dog is on your property at the time and you feel reasonably certain that the dog is putting the well being of your cats in danger, then you are acting in their defense.

my avatar's hot!
Depends on what state you live in. Your best bet is to contact the local police and ask them to get a straight answer so you're not in trouble later.

We've been there, too, and in NY all we are allowed to do is call animal control unless the dog is attacking us or our children, other animals don't count.

fishshogun
Rating
not nice to kill dogs

southron2002
Rating
Depends on the State

T
if you have proof that they were harming your cats and trespassing. also, make sure that your neighbor has been told what the dog has been doing at least 3-5 times. also, make it look like an accident

BUT
BUT
BUT

don't do it. your neighbors are going to take you to court and everything. its not worth it, and you'll probably lose cuz the judge is some animal rights activist and the little girl that might be in your neighbor's family testifies crying with red bloated cheeks saying that the dog was all she had and blah and blah and blah

also, its not legal

but you could sue them for damages on your lawn or property that the dog made and emotional distress

the emotional distress is if your cat got hurt and was whining the entire night and you couldnt get sleep because of what that dog did

but if you're gonna sue, make sure you have lots and lots and lots of evidence. but don't blame me if you lose though. you shouldn'd listen to me

brucec83
Rating
Not unless you live in Texas.

(I havn't researched this exact issue, but I know that Texas is unusual, in that you can legally shoot a human who tresspasses at night).

glenda w
There is a leash law it sounds like you both are breaking it.

rpritchard86
not legally but your only breaking the law if you get caught

Flying_james
Rating
I think if the dog were attacking your cat & was the dog was killed in the process of saving the cat's life, you would be Ok. I think if you went into your neighbor's in the middle of the night with an axe, you might have some problems.

Ronak
Rating
damn dont kill hte dog....just call the police.

sixftrd
Not unless you want the ASPCA on your back! Depending on where you live, and whether or not you have a leash law, you might be able to report your neighbor for allowing the dog to run loose. Killing it is not worth the hassle you will get if the ASPCA comes after you!

Richard L
Rating
no but you can call the police and have them come out and issue a ticket for distruction of personal property. it sounds silly but once they come out if the owner doesnt use restraints on the dog the aspca can get involved and put down the animal as a dangerous one. ps you can kill it as long as no one finds out just slip it some hamburger meat with antifreeze in it over the fence if your local pd doesnt want to help

t. B
No you may not. People pay taxes for the privilege of owning a dog. Any moron can have a cat. The payment of taxes comes along with rights and responsibilities. I am sure the dogs coming into your yard are in violation of a leash law of some sort. I am also sure that the penalty for this violation is not death. If you want to keep this dog out of your yard invest in a fence that the dog cannot get by.

Doodle Pup '07
Rating
Why would you want to?!?!?! Dogs are beautiful creatures. *sigh* I just don't want you to kill a dog that is just following it's instincts, that's all......=(

MimiRatt
I have the same problem! My constant companion, Tiger, was killed by a dog yesterday evening. My husband didn't even know how to tell me when I got home from work... He didn't even want me to see him bury my baby because of the blood and mangled flesh. I decided I'd remember him as he was and let my husband do it without me, But I also told him that any dog coming onto our property would be shot if he came anywhere near our other cat, or near one of us.

Kelley
It is legal in the state of Idaho to kill any animal or person on your property that is threatening harm to you or your property. But if they/it does not die then you are liable for the medical bills. Ask a police officer in your state. They can tell you what you can do to protect yourself and your pets.

keepyourpoochhomeitssimple
Yeah, just pay your bills and plan your day around hell hound! How do most of you even survive with your stupidity? My house, my bills, my kids, my pets...All that is mine stays put. But some of you clowns say, awwww just lock yourselves indoors forever knowing that nobody will ever take care of the aggressive dog til a kid gets bit in the face..Even then you morons on here will say,,oh well was the child making faces at it or something? If the dog kills your pets, which are considered many peoples children, then yes, on spot take care of the problem. I do recommend that you video tape some aggressive behaviors prior just so you have proof.

fingdogs
You can kill a dog on your property and say you were in fear for your safety under the dangerous dogs act, you'd be doing the world a favour and saving many harmless cats. Or get some chickens and get a shotgun license to blast it into pieces, muhahahaha

Bobby
t. B...why should he have to invest in a fence for the NEIGHBORS dog?...it seems to me that that responsibility falls on the neighbor. If the dog is aggresive on his property toward his animals it will be aggresive on his property toward him and his family(especially children). If you feel that you are in IMMEDIATE danger DO NOT HESITATE TO KILL THE DOG!

pissed off in RED BANK, TN
i have a delima it's illigal to even shoot a bb gun in my city but its also illegal to let your dog run loose off a leash and shit in my yard i went to the man and calmly without any cuss words explained how unhappy i was after putting my hand in his dogs doo so i've made a firing range in my back yard to get a lil practice and they call the cops on me yet they do nothing about this rodent of a dog he assured me it wasn't his dog but his son in laws dog that shit in my driveway yet the next day i watched him let his dog out which headed for my yard it saw me and went to another neighbors yard to take a shit idk if i should shoot it poison it or trap it and when the pound FINALLY shows give it to them with my luck he'd call the police and they would make me let it go

fhedrick
New York is the only State where the ASPCA is really a law enforcement government funded agency.

Fhedrick
If there are not any laws restricting firearm use in most states you can kill any animal doing harm to your property. You should be able to kill the dog and then sue the neighbors for damages. Most sates have leash laws for dogs but for cats it is very rare. As far aspca it is none of their business if the state law code says you can do it. Then plain and simple you can. Call the sheriff or local law enforcement and ask them what the state law is.

mamamia
It's a sad situation, in my neighborhood there is a huge beastly nuisance dog. I can't even walk by sons in their stroller anymore. I've called the police and animal control, and anytime they've come, they 'cannot find the dog' . I would love to say that I would have the right to kill the dog so i dont have to worry about walking down the street or to my car, but it's almost like you have to wait until they attack you or someone's children before it's deemed acceptable. Yes, I have a fence, but I used to have my own dogs, and some have gotten out, so who's to say one can't get in? As for pepper spray, I'm sure they'll just come back madder than ever. I dont live in the country, we have neighbors, so I am afraid that if i shoot it or somethin i could be charged with endangering someone, so that's not worth it. so, im at a loss for a solution right now.

joeyjail
i have told my neighbor that he has to keep his dog on a leash he said i dont believe it that i have a fences but why dont the owners be able to do as they please and i should have to put up with a nasty dog that ran from me to turn around and show his teeth at me on my own property i have 2 dogs and they dont leave my yard i called the dog catcher let see what will happen if the dog attacks my family or worse my autistic grandson i will end it for that dog !!! I JUST CANT BELIEVE THAT IM SUPPOSED TO KEEP HIS DOG OFF MY PROPERTY WHAT IS WRONG WITH DOG OWNERS JUST TAKE CARE OF THEM AND PUT IT ON A LEASE IS IT REALLY MY RESPONSIBILITY TO SPEND MORE MONEY BECAUSE DOG OWNERS WONT PROTECT OTHER PEOPLE OR THERE OWN DOG WE WILL SEE i really like dogs but will not let it attack me or my family I ACTUALLY HAD THE NEIGHBOR COME ON MY PROPERTY AND TELL ME NOT TO TELL HIS ADULT KIDS WHO SWORE AT ME THAT I WILL SHOOT THE DOG IF IT ATTACKS MY FAMILY I TOLD HIM TO LEASH HIS DOG I HAVE 2 DOGS AND CANT SAY THEY WILL NEVER BITE ANYONE ALL IM SAYING IS I WISH EVERYONE HAD A LEASH ON THERE PETS IT IS BETTER FOR ALL I KNOW DOGS GET LOOSE BUT NOT ALL THE TIME

jesus
joeyjail you obviously have to report your problem to the proper authorities if you havent already dont let your emotions get the better of you and dont try to take matters in your own hands those problems can be taken care of with a simple phone call

joe
kill yourself you sound like a piece of trash

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

A girl I know got caught shoplifting...?
On Thursday a girl at my school got caught shoplifting $150 worth of makeup. She wants to be a surgeon when she's older but do you think this will affect it? Personally I don't sympathize ...

I know a 13 year old addicted to cannabis, any advice?

Additional Details
I know you can not get addicted, but you know what I ...

What happends if i take off?
what happens if i just up and decide to move across country to start a new life for me (i need it) while on probation or criminal charges (m2, m3, m3) pending? no ...

Which amendment allows us to bare arms?

Should parents of obese children get prosecuted for child cruelty?
I have just watched BBC news where 2 dog owners have been found guilty for letting their dog get too fat. I think there are plenty of parents of huge children who would be more deserving of their day ...

Should channel four Dianas dying pictures?

Additional Details
re DILB............men you a one mean ****....show some compassion bruv.........

What do you think about hanging? Should it be brought back?
Todays U.K. prisons are over flowing. Serious offenders are out on the loose, would hanging resolve this problem.
Opinions please....

If we're going to let gays marry each other isn't that as unnature as humans marrying animals?

So, I'm having an affair with a married woman. Advice? lol...?
Now, first and foremost this is a completely honest and serious question. I am not facilitating any sort of lie, I'm just asking for different opinions.

First of all, the woman in ...

Should All Non-smokers Be Given Lessons In Tolerance?

Three cops have just been killed by a gunman. Isn't it time we banned guns like the UK and other countries?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/
WEEK OF SHOOTINGS
Sat 4 April: Gunman kills three policemen in Pittsburgh before being wounded and captured.
Fri 3 April: G...

If corporal punishment was brought back into schools do you think it would improve bad behaviour?

Can i be charged with a drink driving offence if i was not given a roadside breath test?
i was only given a breath test after a 25 minuite drive to the police ...

Is it legal for the police to go into a high school and question a minor without parental consent?
my daughter was detained and questioned by police for 4 hours at school. i was never contacted in any way by the police or school authorities....

Should you have to pay child support if a parent wants soul custody and no visitation rights?
what do you think we should do I say don't give up soul custody?
Additional Details
The Mom wants soul custody of my child so she can take her to Mexico and I don't have any ...

My neighbour is growing cannabis in his back garden?
How do I anonymously report him?
(UK)
Additional Details
Actually he IS a dealer too, no end of druggies turning up at all times of the day to get their gear off him. Yes he is ...

Is there anywhere a 16-year-old could stay overnight?
I can't stay with my parents tonight, and my friend doesn't have any room. Is there anywhere a sixteen-year-old could legally stay overnight?

Thanks....

My homeboys flipped on me and now I'm going to prison, what should I do?

I have been convicted of D.U.I 6 times, is it possible for me to get a Pilot license for a light plane?

I been on my job for 11yrs i tesred positive for meth on a drug screen what can i do or say to keep my job?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links