Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can i sue the hospital?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can i sue the hospital?

just a question but, can i sue the hospital for not giving me an epidural?

i just got another baby and when i was in labor i asked for an epidural and they didn't want to give me one, and kept telling me the anesthesiologist was all the way down stairs and they could not reach him right now! i was in excruciating pain because of the pitocin they gave me, the drug that speeds up labor and makes the labor pains 10 times more intense. not that im going to but im just curious if i could sue them?

btw... i think it was revenge because i cursed one of the midwife for treating me as if i was "just another pregnant person" lol!! she was really rude!
Additional Details
i had more than enough time for an epidural, and any woman that has had pitocin knows it feels like someone is tearing your uterus out with there hands!

and ive had natural births before with my first and second so im not a punk lol!!!!

kaisergirl
Rating
Call around to different lawyers and see what they say. They will say they are not interested in your case. I guarantee it.

notyou311
Yes, you can sue. That doesn't mean that you will win.

Scorpius59
Rating
Are you going through postpartum ? I doubt that your lawsuit would be worthy of the courts time. Childbirth is no picnic. If it was SO necessary for the anestheliologist to be there, he would've been there. When you are in intense labor like that, it hurts. I went through it too. So have millions of other women.Hopefully you are happy with the outcome ! ( I know what you mean by intense pain. Those shots to induce you work TOO good. I thought I was going to lose my mind. I was exhausted.....and after all that, I had an emergency C-section.)

mac_fixit
Personally I would only bother sueing them if my baby died at birth due to their medical negilence which would be VALID reason to sue them.
I always thought a certain amount of pain at birth was just part of the process....

Chincubus
Rating
Yes, but your reason for it is very illogical. You were not in a life or death situation, and I'm sure you WERE in a lot of pain but suing over that just doesn't seem very logical.

candleinthewind7579
Unless there was a medical reason to not give you the epidural...the excuse that the anesthesiologist was "downstairs and couldn't be reached" is bogus. Every doctor and nurse is reachable on and off duty. You could probably sue, but it's not exactly the definition of malpractice...so talk to an attorney

Mike P
Rating
This is a question for a malpractice lawyer.

I think that you'd have a poor case. You are ok and were not harmed. Because of that most attorneys would stay away from it.

alang1001
sue them. the hospitals only care about money b4 the patients. the medical industry is a multi million dollar industry. obviously they do not care for you only the money. the doctors are trained to always subscribe you something so they can boost their profits. sue them so we can get some of the money back they have stolen off of us please.

i dont know, google it.
Rating
umm i dont think you can...
but you can try

bosox3141592
Rating
No, they did what they thought would be best with the resources they had. Honestly, you wouldn't have much of a case.

Just ME
Rating
Most likely not... Because of all the frivilous lawsuits it is very hard to sue inspite of what you see on tv.

You can still get a free consult with a lawyer who could advise you better than here.

Sometimes they don't give you one for medical reasons and they could always lie and say that.

Many people do not have ethics anymore and will lie to cover their butts...

I'm sorry you had to suffer!!

kobie
My daughter in law gave birth on August 4th and due to health problems the baby died. Is your baby healthy if so spend the time your wasteing wanting to sue someone by spending it loving your baby. Childbirth wasn't meant to be pain free.

Guitarfreak818
you can sue anything you want. You can sue water.But if you sue a hospital you'll lose

trippple
Rating
There's a point in labor when you can't be given epidural, so I suggest you don't sue them because that might be your case.

Shawn F
you could try, but hospitals usually have very good lawyers, so even if you won, you'd probably just have to use the money to pay your own lawyer.

Rayz
It wouldn't be a very strong case.

XO-sunshine
Rating
If you want too.. but if I were you I would just talk to them first and say that it wasn't right and you should have an apology from the staff. It's up to you though.

not my real name
Rating
nah, i don't think that you can sue, if you could, they would have had that anesthesiologist right away.

SL
Probably not. It really depends on what type of contracts and paperwork you signed during admissions.

It's over with now, so what's the use?

Anna M
Rating
i would

Unfrozen Caveman
Rating
AFTER A CERTAIN TIME INTO YOUR LABOR ITS NOT RECOMMENDED TO GIVE A EPIDURAL...YOU WAITED TO LATE

Roxas
an epidural has to be givin before major labor occurs, and no i don't think you can, well i'm sure u can try but i'm not sure what you'll get out of it besides the person fired and not able to be a nurse,

Sandra M
UMMM I would say YES sue the you know what out of them. I had to have an emergency C Section with my last child, they would not give me any pain medicine because I was already fully dialated which is understandable but they gave me an Epideral before they took me in to have the C Section.

Nana64
Poor baby, the midwife treated you like "just another pregnant person"; well, guess what - that's exactly what you were. You often have to arrange for an epidural before you go into the hospital and labor or they will not give you one, for legal reasons.

One of the problems in our society today is that at the least provocation people immediately think "can I sure". Your priority SHOULD be your baby and not how you can make a buck off the hospital.

Mason M
yes for pain and suffering

hamrrfan
Rating
If the anesthesiologist was in surgery or tending to an emergency e.g. a cardiopulmonary arrest, you would not have a case.

You would have to prove negligence in their treatment of you. Some pain meds can have ill effects on the baby. You would have to prove that they did not exercise due diligence in attempting to relieve your pain and in protecting the baby.

sooother
Rating
"i just got another baby "Shucks
,And you experianced some unexpected discomfort.
Sue?,,, Your still typing to tell about your horrible ordeal....
Best focus on your new born,,,,

St. Eggy
Rating
Any lawyer would tell you that that's a valid case. I think you're actually justified in this one. Good luck.

eg
Rating
get over it. my mom delivered all 5 of us naturally... i dont think you could because you chose to go to that hospital they didn't make you go there.

Jicksaw :P
UH.. shouldn't this be a little more personal? Dont.. its a freaking hospital.

Rjd2
huh, i don't know .. but why would you wanna sue the hospital, they coo mann .. they are there to help you, save your life .. it ain't right if you gonna sue the hospital.

TealRose
I am sorry you have had so much abuse on here! If you really think you were treated badly by the nurses etc not getting the anesthesiologist up for you when you needed an epidural, then yes you should at least go back to the head of the hospital and tell them what happened. If you get no apology, yes, sue if you can! Just because millions of woman have given birth without etc .. doesn't mean you should be left in agony just 'because'. As an ex nurse I am horrified at what goes on in hospitals these days !! As to the others here - if this poor woman was not able to have a epidural for some reason, she should have been told WHY the real reason not just fobbed off !!!

TealRose
I am sorry you have had so much abuse on here! If you really think you were treated badly by the nurses etc not getting the anesthesiologist up for you when you needed an epidural, then yes you should at least go back to the head of the hospital and tell them what happened. If you get no apology, yes, sue if you can! Just because millions of woman have given birth without etc .. doesn't mean you should be left in agony just 'because'. As an ex nurse I am horrified at what goes on in hospitals these days !! As to the others here - if this poor woman was not able to have a epidural for some reason, she should have been told WHY the real reason not just fobbed off !!!

curious
I was 17 when I had my first baby he was born with problems which I knew before birth but didnt understand anyway he died after second surgery and the hospital in duced my labor instead of stoping it I was only 8 months, it was the first case they had of my sons condition in 1992-93 anyway I find out years later that they let the baby daddy name him and make all medical decisions on him without my permission therefore he could be alive today in my opnion cause I would have made different descions on his treatment. we were not marreied and they had no proof he was the father I was out the whole time due to emergency c-section so I was unaware of all this my point is its been 18 yrs and I just found out I could have sued ,for one I was under age in a state by myself no family around and they let him make my desions he was in his twentys at the time and no proof he was the baby daddy and let him make those decisions without my consent can I still sue the hospital now Im old enough to understand

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What do you think about banning cell phones while driving?
Do you think it should be against the law?
Additional Details
Haha very funny soldier.. Thank you for all you do!...

Should car drivers who are over the drink limit and kill a pedestrian be given life in prison?

What ages should be raised and lowered?
I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 and the marriage age raised to 21....

Do you think it's ethical for parents to spank their kids?
California might be passing a law where parents won't be allowed to spank their kids. If a parent spanks their kids they will get a year in jail. This law hasn't been passed yet, but if it ...

Should guns be banned among citizens in order to stop violence?( excluding law enforcement, police, etc.)?

Should the death penalty should be illegal?
should death penalty should be illegal, why and why not.

details and good sources are great thanks....

Could i be sued for this?
I run a blog, and I plan on exposing the factories in my local community that contribute the most to global warming. as long as i am not defaming, etc. am I allowed to say that they are doing that ...

Do you think Marijuana should be legalized for Medicinal purposes and recreational purposes?
Whats the difference between an alcholic who drinks every day and a recreationsl smoker who smokes a joint every night? Why does Marijuana have such a bad rap sheet?...

To all of those against abortion..would you be happy when women are dying on the streets?
For the want of a safe, legal termination?
Additional Details
That's what I meant, they did die in the back alleys....

Is it illegal for my dad to beat me with a belt?
I am 13 and yesterday my dad beat me with a belt yesterday. He has hit me with it before but yesterday was different. He hit me repeatedly leaving marks and me screaming in pain. It was horrible, I ...

Is slavery still legal in the US?

Additional Details
It took 11 wrong answers before somone got it right! Don't ANY Americans actually read their Constitution any more? PRIVATE slavery was abolished by the 13th A...

Is my X violating his restraining order?
My X just bought a house and moved in less than 100 yards away. My restraining order states he can not come within 100 yards from me. Will the District Attorny measure property line to property ...

Should i report my neighbour for benefit fraud?
both are living in the same house but are getting paid single benifits and hes working with his mate on a handyman business the vans parked out side my drive everyday and has no road tax on ...

If there was NO LAW what percent of the population would take advantage of there being NO LAW?
NO JAIL time+NO bad reaction to anything you did wrong because there would be NO right or wrong?...

Is this inhumane?
Why not get all the rapists, murderers, child abusers, serial violent offenders and stick them all on an island together - they would have the oppurtunity to work the land to grow food - but they ...

What are you views on abortion?
And why?...

Should we get rid of both abortion and death penalty?
I was just thinking, if we are to value ALL life, shouldn't we get get rid of both the death penalty AND abortion, and not just one or the other?

Death sentence or prison?
which is more cost effective death penalty or prison? and why?...

What would happen if you lied about ur age at the doctors?
my friend wants to get pregnat but she is only 17 and i told her shes crazy and needs to wait, but she wants to go to a new doctor and lie and say she is 18, would she get in trouble? what kind of ...

If a school confiscates your phone 1 for the wrong reason, and loses it, aren't they entitled to pay for it?
My phone was off and it fell out my pocket, I picke dit up and put it back in my pocket, that's when a teacher walked in and saw it and took it. I then found out the next day that they lost it, ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links