Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can landlords with hold personal belongings of a tenant, if the tenant was in arrears with rent and evicted?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can landlords with hold personal belongings of a tenant, if the tenant was in arrears with rent and evicted?

wizjp
In some states. Talk to your local county atty's office

e2them2thei2thely
No. When you take a tenancy you are signing a contract to pay for the building itself and any furniture so your personal belongings are not legally eligible for collateral.

That said, if you are in arrears the landlord is technically loaning you money by letting you live there.

If you have been evicted then you only own the landlord the rent and he is illegally holding your belongings.

mistueme
Just because a tenant is behind on the rent and even evicted does not give the landlord the right to withhold the former tenants property.
They can take a tenant to court to collect the money that is owed, but that is all they can do.

rogerglyn
In the UK, and strangely enough this is a UK site.

The answer is no, it would constitute theft.

wwpetcemetery
No...they have to go through eviction proceedings through the courts. If you left and the property was left behind then the landlord has the obligation to items for about 30 days if he believes it's ot junk and can dispose of it after that as they see fit..you can get the stuff back if you pay reasonable storage costs...which is usually what the going average rate is.
This is different from state to state but it's almsot the same.

flatfootfred
Rating
yes

Benji
Rating
In most states, the landlord can take your property and sell it, in order to pay the tenants debt. The same is true for hotels and motels.

Guardian angel
I am not a legal expert but it doesn't seem right that a private individual can seize someones goods without the courts permission

Pogolaw
In most states only with a court order and in states where they can without a court order they face legal action if they hold property that has a greater value than the amount owed.

Summertime & the Living's Ea
Rating
This really is a question that is specific to the lease you signed, it could be yes or no. Read your lease carefully and if you have questions still I would contact a lawyer, if the goods are valuable enough to you to fight it. Chances are the landlord will just throw the stuff out or take it to Good Will.

Tapestry6
Rating
What usually happens is they change the locks and remove the contents of the apartment to a storage locker (our landlords had an extra garage they stored things in at the apartment building). Now the manager cleans the place out for a new tenant. ( The one we helped her clean was totally filthy with broken glass in the carpeting, broken eggs on the floor and diaper stuff all over the walls, pretty bad). I think she said they had 90 days to come back and pick it up or she would sell the contents with the proceeds going to the amount the tenant owed.

QuestionAnswers
Rating
Legally, no.

A landlord has the right to evict a tenant on the notice agreed on the contract. However, the landlord (like every other debtor on earth) must take legal action as a means of recompensing an outstanding debt.

If the landlord makes the argument "The property I have withheld was on my property", it is invalid - the agreement to use the land for any of your personal belongings was also made in the signing of that contract.

I suggest you contact a solicitor to go about reclaiming this item, and he will also contact the landlord about his preference for re-compensation.

♥ Rory Alexander ♥
Rating
NO he's not aloud to keep them he has to throw them out (im in england)

that's what my grandad said his neighbour was chucking some stuff out ma grandad asked him what he was doing and he said i evicted the tenants but i cant legally keep their stuff so i'm skipping it and he chucked it in a skip.

go to your council or something they'll help you out.

he would probably have to get someone in authority to do it but im in england not sure where you are

also im not defo sure but spk to your council or someone like that

nickoname
Yes and no

dels replies
Rating
Yes he can I think . If you are in arrears and evicted , Its your own fault

rickinnocal
Rating
Absolutely not. This is illegal in every State.

In many States, that's one of the things that can get the arrears of rent set aside by a court, and even get the landlord hit with punitive damages.

Richard

Eager2learn
Rating
check the lease

Nicole E
no they have to protect belongings for 24 hours them let them go to you

Das N
I dont think sober

smickaylward
im in arrears with my privete rented garage and the landladys saying if i dont clear the arrears she will destroy my personal things in the garage .can she do this ?

carlitagrady
ok so i was givin a house by my momma and i had two roomates paying me rent to live plus the other bills..well the agreement was pay the rent on the 1st. blah blah blah..well they moved most of their stuff out on the 30th (a couple days ago) and they didnt come back at all.they left a bunch of stuff that i DONT WANT but their dog died i had to pay $203 to help them put their dog to sleep I HAVE THE RECIPT FOR THE DOG TO BE PUT DOWN cause they had no money no job just SSI and they skipped two months of electric bill witch is now 150$ we bout their washer and dryer from them for 120 took it of the debt of the dog and now we were asking for just 80 so all together they owe me $230 they will NOT pay us wat they owe.but they were tring to kick in my door for there stuff.they vacated the property and they do not live here anymore.but the are trying to get a lawer! i NEED HELP PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW MY RIGHTS

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Help, Im Scared! My ex said he found my info online could this be true? Been trying to protect myself from him
My ex-boyfriend just told me he found out about a new credit union/checking account that i recently opened up, he said he found it online, is this possible? He also said he found the address to my ...

Can a company force unpaid vacation?
The company my husband works for notified them that they are closing from dec 24 to jan 5th with 1 day paid - xmas and the rest of the days unpaid.Can they legally do this?They didnt even give them ...

What would you do in this situation?
You are a member of a jury. The jury is hearing a child molestation case in which the defendant is accused of a series of molestations in his neighborhood. You have been advised by the judge not to ...

Why do people complain about cannabis when alcohol has worse effects on people and costs taxpayers more,.?
i dont drink anymore i smoke cannabis instead,u may frown upon this but before i gave up drinking i was in a&e or the local police cells at least once every 3 months. what a difference a spliff ...

Suppose one of your family members is murdered, God forbid, and you know who the killer is?
you love the victim very much, say a brother or sister. You witnessed the crime, or have irrefutable evidence of the crime against the killer.

But the murderer is aquitted on a ...

How can we eliminate the overcrowding issues in our prisons?
Be specific and ...

Can a male go to court and prevent a woman from having an abortion?
If a male is confident that the fetus growing inside her is his, and she wants to have an abortion, can't he legally prevent her from doing so. What if the male wanted to marry another woman ...

Why do people think abortion is okay? Not okay?
I'm doing a report and just trying to get some opinions....

Why isn't weed legal?
I mean c'mon now, it's a lot safer than alcohol and it's healthier than cigarettes.....

Have you noticed when they raised minimum wage the price of everything you purchase went up, especially food?
Raising the minimum wage sounded good, but all it did was left us in the same boat we were in at first. We still can't afford anything. And the people who get minimum wage are still in a boat ...

Yet another violation notice why is it ok for some users to openly condemn and criticise?
our present prime minister yet when i question thatchers contribution i get a violation notice is yahoo being run by tories if so its a disgrace
Additional Details
does this mean that we ...

LAW QUESTION, read below?
Ok, if you answer a question on here and then the person uses your advice but it is wrong, can the asker sue the answerer for damages or in legal terms is the person answering libel?...

Can we have mandatory birth control please?
We do not need more homes and buildings highways and police; wake up, we need a maximum birth control policy of 2 children per 2 people or one family! The right to lifers are worried about one fetus ...

When did women gain equal rights?

What rights do i have at age 21?
When I turn 21 in the United States, what rights are granted to me? I need detailed rights besides drinking and owning a handgun. Easy best answer! :)
Additional Details
I mean little ...

Do you think people who are able bodied and dont have a serious mental illness should have to earn benefits?
I think that people who are on benefits, including single parents- who's kids are at school, who are not physically or mentally handicapped should have to earn their benefits or not get paid ...

Is it illegal to buy pirated games?
I know it is illegal to sell pirated games...but Is it illegal to buy pirated games? regardless online or on the spot?

what if I return the good to the buyer? is it still against the law? ...

Is Michael Vicks sentence fair or unfair?
Does his fame play a part of the sentence? Some people say that an average person of the street would not have been judged so harshly for dog fighting. However, there are other charges against him ......

What do al of you think about the verdict for Andrea Yates....not guilty!?
She killed her kids.....murder, you can get away with anything in the USA today....

Can a child be adopted by the steparent without the consent of one biological parent who refuses to sign?
The biological father is stationed overseas and is afraid something will be done without his consent- the biological mother and stepfather have already began the adoption process- they know where the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links