Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can multiple people make the exact same lawsuit?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can multiple people make the exact same lawsuit?

Like that guy who suied the toilet paper company for millions because they weren't the exact same length claimed. Can't I sue them as well and say I want compensation for the exact same thing too? And seeing how he won the case, and mine is exactly like this, I should get compensation effortlessly? Or does only the first person to make the lawsuit get to receive compensation? like a first come first serve kinda thing, and they only got 1 serving?

Chris K
If you want a piece of the pie you would have to enter into a class action lawsuit.

DaBird
Rating
First of all, quit thinking of using frivolous lawsuits as a get-rich-quick scheme. Go get a real job.

When lots of people get together on the same suit, it's called a "class action suit" (at least here in the US). There was a big one involving the pricing of CD's years ago. Class action suits happen when an entity wrongs lots of people in the same way, like by engaging in shady business practices (remember the suit against Blockbuster for its late fees?).

I'm not sure what toilet paper lawsuit you're talking about, but once a high-profile trial or settlement concludes, the company usually prevents itself from being sued again in a similar fashion by offering compensation at the individual level along with a non-disclosure agreement. Either that, or the court orders the company to provide compensation to affected parties.

Elliot
This question has nothing at all to do with class action lawsuits. A class action suit involves multiple plaintiffs in the same case, you're asking about multiple people making separate claims. And the answer to your question is yes, although it won't be the exact same case because there will inevitably be differences in regard to the harm caused, et cetera. But if you suffered millions of dollars of harm as a result of uneven toilet paper then you can sue them, regardless of whether someone already has.

flika
You have to participate from the beginning, that would typically be a, "class action suit."

Kat
Rating
That was a stupid *** lawsuit.

Ron Akia
Rating
Yes, multiple people can sue although in reality it's usually done via a Class Action Lawsuit in order to share expenses and for a smoother handling of the overall process in the court.

zlatko
one law suite and result at a time... since it was already brought up oncde, it canot be brought up as a case again...

but, for another matter.... 1000000 once case as a group and expect a rulling

BHO bows to muslims
Rating
yes, its called Class Action.

Knightro
Only the first one...otherwise it would have been a Class Action Lawsuit.

JaY
Rating
Well you can attempt to sue for the same thing. But chances are the company may have already covered themselves someway so they can't be sued for the same thing twice.

What could do is gather people who have had the same problem and start a class action suit against the company....

In all honesty for your chances to be good you would need something slightly different to have a decent chance.

whatever you do, just go for it.

confused
Rating
It is called a class action suit but multiple people have to do it at the same time it can't be one and then after it's over another and then another. That is not allowed. All together or only one.

PJ
Rating
Yes. It is called a class action law suit.

You have to belong to a class of people that has been wronged in the same way. Just because the first guy won, doesn't mean you will.

trip
Law 101 it is a class action suit.

airjordanx510x
It doesn't have to be a class action lawsit, and a lot of people on here don't understand that a class act is a collective lawsuit. A judge would have to agree to allow a class act.

Yes you can make a lawsuit and it doesn't have to be a class act.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How to get copyright for a website?
hi
i want to make my website,plz tell me that how can i get the copyright for my website....

Why do people oppose stem cell research?
don't they realize it can save lives?! Also, the babies are already dead, why just waste them?! I just don't see how the people opposing this could make an impact so big that Bush would ...

Am I in trouble for leaving a voicemail to someone saying that I will file a lawsuit against them?

Can I get arrested for having an out of state license?
I have been living in Maine since December 20th, I registered my vehicle in Febuary, but I still have my NH license.( It's 60 dollars to get a license. I simply don't have the money right ...

Is my attorney disbarred?
How can I find out if my attorney has been disbarred? I live in Texas and looking for a good attorney that is licensed to practice....

Why is the U.S. Government not allowing gays to marry?
What reasons are they stating that marriage is between a man and woman. These are religious beliefs. Is there a legal reason for disallowing gays to marry other than because (for now) it is okay to ...

What happens in default judgment?
My ex neglected to show up for a paternity test requested by me, what will happen to her and the case?...

Can I transfer child custody case to the county the child lives in?
I'm taking my Daughter's father to court to reverse the custody back to me. We both lived in one county when the first thing started, Now he lives in the neighboring county and that is ...

So just what does the Geneva Convention say about treatment of illegal combatants?
How does the Geneva Convention say terrorists, in no uniform, picked up in foreign lands, trying to kill US soldiers and other civilians, should be treated?

And has the USA agreed to that ...

I live in Texas, so what are my rights to remove an intruder from my dorm room?
He came in and started threatening me. I told him to leave several times. He didn't leave for several minutes. Could I have made him leave through force? I'm not sure if the "Castle ...

Are sop's (standard operating procedures legally required for fire dept. in michigan?
our fire dept does not have any sop's and i want to know if we are legally bound to have ...

Is this wrong for a lawyer?
if a lawyer tell you to pled guilty because it will be easier to deffend you is that wrong?...

Opinions on gay marriage?
Ok today I asked my friends of they support a gay persons right to marry or if they are against it and only 1 out of 10 supported them. So I was wondering, why do so many people oppose gay marriage? ...

Can a criminal history decide what kind of visitation rights a non custodial parent will have?
PLEASE ANYONE WITH A RELATED SITUATION ANY IMPUT WILL RELIEVE THE STRESS!!! So I will be giving birth to my 1st child in a few weeks. The father has not been in the picture and he recently received ...

My FMLA is going to end and my employer won't let me come back to my FT position part-time. What can I do?

What's the concept of recidivism.?

What to do next when intestate?
Does a person have to have a lawyer when their parent has passed away without a Will and they need a legal probate done ?

The dad passed away .. he had a wife .. and 3 kids by another ...

I need to find an address for alaska house of corrections?
MY uncle is incarserated, hes been there for a long time id like to write to him but I dont know the adress or phone nember can anyone find it for me, I have no family and live across the country, I ...

Why was the NHS and Community Care Act 1990 put in place?

If torture stopped terrorism, would it be ok?
If we knew that we could prevent deadly terrorist attacks by torturing prisoners of war, would it be the right thing to do.
Additional Details
It hasn't been prooven effectve. Q...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, October 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links