Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can my boss make me work more than 8 hours a day?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my boss make me work more than 8 hours a day?

I am in Texas. There are 2 supervisors. A morning shift (me) and a night shift. The other day, the night shift supervisor called in sick. The rest of management had already gone home for the day and my boss called me and told me that he needed me to stay and work the night shift aswell. I told him i already had plans and was unable to stay. He then told me that I HAD to stay. I ended up working 12 hours that day wich isn't really a problem for me.. but is my boss allowed to make me work more than 8 hours in 1 day??

Nichole
Are you salary or hourly? I work over 8 hours a day everyday . . .sometimes 12 + . . . it is all part of being salary.

:o
He can't make you stay and he owes you overtime!

rey misterio
Rating
why he cant becuse it is you chosse he can not

Grin Reeper
depends on what you contract says.
If you have a written agreement like an employee handbook that states something like that then yes you do...

But if there is nothing in writing then no he cant.

But keep in mind pissing off the boss can cost you more in the long run

uva guy
Rating
He can't make you stay, but I bet in Texas he could fire you if you don't. Overtime depends on whether you are in an 'exempt' position, whether you end up working over 40 hrs, and state law. Some places require OT after 8 hours, others only if it gives you over 40 at the end of the week.

wizjp
AS long as you were compensated for the time he can ask.

YOu can say no.

He can look for someone else who can stay when he needs someone.

At will hiring and firing.

Jennifer C
Yes. Supervisors have the legal authority to demand overtime (over 8 hours in a day) as long as it was included in your legal job description and the legal alloted breaks are given during the shift (30 minutes per 8 hours). It is just not great management skills not to give any notice.

gooDay
no

marop
Rating
Unfortunately yes. Labor laws require overtime pay for hourly paid employees, but management (salary based I assume) usually has to work as needed without extra pay. Supervisors are usually responsible for covering whatever needs covered in their department and often are expected to put in extra time doing so. This is especially true in most service industries such as retail or hospitality. As far as can he fire you for not staying if you had refused to, probably not, but he probably can find another reason to do so.

yodah20
Rating
If he pays you over time and allows you a break every so many hours for food and other such necessities. He could not fire you because you refused to cover someone else's shift however, the missed shift is not your problem it is you coworker's and if no one showed up for that shift you cannot and should not have to take the blame.

linkinparkguy1980
Rating
check your job contract, every job has a contract, my job can force me overtime if they need me, BUT i have to takes breaks and lunches according to the hours i work, so if i don't get my breaks and lunches i'm calling OSHA lol

renni1010
Nobody is allowed to "make" you do anything-period. In work, he cannot make you work over 8 hours, legally, he can ASK you and pay you overtime. If you told him no he would have to deal with it because he is the topdog. If you want to keep your job, however, you have to consider the position he is/was in. He is home, you are there, the relief is a no show and SOMEBODY has to cover. The easy thing was for him to ASK you to cover-pay you overtime and put you on his #1 employee list and start treating you like gold.

You DID stay which says you are a decent employee who wants to make his manager's life easier in emergency situations, that means kudos for you. But, if you have a bad attitude even though you did the right thing it almost erases the good thing you did. Remember your attitude is what predicts the success of your life and career, not necessarily your intelligence or good looks.

No, they can't make you work over 8 hrs, unless you have a contract which says that you are required to work overtime when needed.

Physics4Rich
Rating
No.
No one MAKES you work. You choose to. Work and get paid, or don't work and live off someone else.
Can your Boss ask you to work more then eight hours in a day? Sure.
Labor laws address how many breaks your allocated to take.

You could have said no, then had a bad performance review for not being a "team player".

Sarah
Rating
Well if you weren't originally scheduled to work those extra hours...you DO NOT have to.

Juan G
Rating
well he can because he Ur boss put that call extra work he most pay u more

true_search
Yes, if it is very vital for the work.; like a doctor in emergency room , he must stay after his shift if the other one doesn't come ! But of course You must paid for that overtime !

aida
Rating
If he's a private employer, he may be--that is, he may have the right to fire you if you refuse or at least to make you miserable. However, he certainly has to PAY you for those extra hours, and possible pay you time and a half. You'd better check with your state labor department.

BTW, is your boss named Julius C. Dithers?

Holly Golightly
Rating
Yes. If you're on salary, you won't be paid for overtime, but if you're an hourly salary, you will be entitled to time and a half for the extra 4 hours.

Skittles are M & M wannabees
He can't MAKE you stay, but since you did stay, he does need to compensate you. However, he does NOT owe you overtime UNLESS you work more than 40 hours in one week. Much to people's surprise, employers do NOT have to pay overtime for anything over eight hours, it's over 40 hours a week.

If you're under 18, however, you can not work more that eight hours a day.

ima_super_geek
No, unless he's physically forcing you, he can't 'make' you stay. He could maybe fire you for not staying, depends on your contract, really. And there are labor laws at federal, state, and local levels that may prevent you from working more than X hours at a stretch. I don't think 12 hours would be a problem on that front, but 16 might push it, depending on the type of work.

I've worked 72 hours at a clip, but I'm a computer geek. Also, unless you're overtime exempt, they have to pay you for it. Usually 1.5x salary, but again, depends on your contract, and applicable labor laws.

Mathew
Rating
if h pays you...im assuming its not a salary so you should get "time and a half" if your not then its illegal(if you're 18+)....under 18 you are not supposed to work that long(required by law)

ladiesman217
Rating
I don't think there is a law about how many hours you can work in one day. It is against the law to work more than 40 hours a week without paying overtime.

Caring girl.
Rating
I would suggest that you use a search Engine and type in Employment law in Texas and see if you could find out.

Mckoy W
Rating
He owes you.

tiny2kool
Rating
did you get overtime, if not your boss owned you.....maybe you should grow a pair

BRUCE ALMIGHTY!!!!!!!!
i do employ people and i know i cant make them work more than 48 hours per week so if you know that the extra time will take you over that in the middle of the week then no.regardless of your contract.
Regards Tony the Accounts manager

Wendai♥
it's not right to tell you you HAVE to stay, but yes they can have you work more than 8 hours a day...or at least they always did to me at my last job

The Great Gazoo
Rating
Yes they can as long as you have adequate breaks and if your weekly hours exceed the state law for regular hours they have to pay you overtime.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Someone owes me $210 and is not answering my phone calls, what can I do?
Hey, I did this guy a favor buying a print for him for 185 dollars and shipped it to him, which cost me additional 25 dollars. He insisted that he'd pay me right away. In the beginning ...

Help, I am going to court for a parking ticket, how can I win?
I was parked in a 30 min truck zone for two minutes and got a ticket because I dodn't have truck plates.
I thought it was just a 30 min zone and I am going to court now...
how can I ...

At what age would you say education is NOT relevant. I am pretty annoyed with a woman at the DWP?
for saying at 35 me continuing a degree is not relevant education. Would you say that is age ...

Whether the rapest should be given mercy by the eye of law if so whether should be any kind of consideration ?
whether it such consideration wiill help him in changing his moral of life ?...

Do you stand up for yourself?
Do you fight for what you believe in or do you take a back seat and allow others to do i on your behalf.

Just read a question and it's prompted me to ask!!

Are people ...

Have you ever saved somebodys life?

What if you had a baby and refused to give it a name?
What would happen....... A baby cant go unnamed surely.......

If I told someone I wanted them out of my house...?
As In no longer staying there, is it simply a case legally of me saying pack your things and get out? the house is completly in my name as I bought and paid for it so obviously I have the final say ...

How do you feel about your DNA added to the goverment database?
Regardless if you have a criminal record, or not.
Additional Details
For all those who say that they have nothing to hide..

Would you also feel happy with a goverment camera ...

What would happen if a child was abused by a parent?

Do you think i have a case for discrimination?
i recently applied for a temporary job in woolworths over the christmas period. The application was only 1 page and consisted of asking for my name, address, telephone number, and the hours i am ...

Is George W. Bush a Terrorist?

When G.W. Bush face jail time for his crimes or will he get away with it?
will g.w. bush serve some time in jail and find his bf or will he get away with all that he did to this country and the american people....

I was arrested and kept in a cell.?
I was kept in the cell from 6am Friday morning untill 10pm Monday morning. I was not once allowed out of the room. This was not jail I was just kep in the cell untill I went to court and FOund NOT G...

I found a Wallet with $268.00 today. I returned the Wallet and the money to the owner did I do good?
Honesty is my best policy!
Additional Details
In closure the Man just cashed his paycheck so he needed his money. I didn't want a reward, but he works at the Express Oil Station so ...

Should the United States take over the world and end terrorism once and for all?

The supreme court rules (abortion is legal), 20 million dead, is everybody happy now ?
Because of a few judges, over 20 million dead babies.
Now tell me Satan's not laughing his xxx off....

Do you think its right that prisoners get tv's in their rooms & other luxuries?
also their meals cost more in the UK than children's school dinners. Is it me or is something profoundly wrong about this?
Additional Details
some interesting answers here and maybe ...

Should death penalties be introduced to the uk once again?

Is this illegal or legal????
if you could have a liscense plate that had swear words on it.
i was just curious if it was or not....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links