Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can police track down your cell phone if you close it ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can police track down your cell phone if you close it ?

Just wondering. Does the cell phone need to be on for the to track down the phone number ? And how do they track it down and is it accurate ? What if someone is driving, will it show where they are driving to ?

Cambrea
Yep, like they said, even if its off, but the battery is in it, it sends out a gps signal that the police can track. Its basically a map for them to follow. Yes, it shows where they are driving too. They can bring it up on the police computers, and it is fairly accurate. It has a few seconds drag, but they can find you if they want to. No doubt.

Its Bill Lumberg
If the battery is in it, even when its turned off, they can activate it - no problem to track you.

Ordinary Guy
The cell phone can be turned on in an emergency. This has been done in kidnapping cases. where the authorities listen in unknown to the bad guys.. You must remove the battery to truly disable the phone.

charles
Rating
As long as the phone has battery power most new phones can be turned on remotely by the police if they are tracking you.So if you dont want to be found take the battery out.

Steve
Rating
Cell phones "ping" towers as they drive by if they are turned on. They can use three towers to triangulate the approximate location.

But, if you think the police will spend 10 seconds looking for a stolen cell phone, you're sadly mistaken. They don't even actively look for stolen cars, or even stolen $200,000 semi-trucks. They only find stolen items when they stumble upon them while they're doing something else.

Lots of answers from teenagers that don't know how phones actually work here.

John J. S
Your phone can be tracked unless you pull the battery out.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I get rid of a Child support court order like this? Or what?
I just served my ex (who is married for 7 yrs) a summons. I need her to take me off of paying child support for my 13 yr old. I've never paid or spent time with my son. I have an order of ...

What kind of cases does the FBI get involved in?

What insurance companies provide non-owner auto insurance in Ohio?
looking to insure myself for car insurance in columbus ohio but I dont own a car....

Is this ethical ? For A president or an ex present to talk to someone to tell them to stay out of the race.?
Isn't that Coercion. and interfering with the Political process ? Isn't that stacking the deck ? To pull people out of the running that may do well on there own to pull out to allow an ...

do I have a case or no? Pennsylvania-California issue.?
I'm thinking i dont but i want to hear outside opinions...i have a friend and he said i could live with him if i sent him $550 as a deposit. I sent it via paypal..under family/gift section so he ...

International flags legal in the United States?
Is it legal to fly another countries flag in addition to the UN, US, and State flags? Reason being is my fiancee is of Filipino nationality and I would like to fly the US, PA, UN, Philippine, and I...

Does anyone agree this country is going into the toilet without tight immigration laws?
I'm not raciest I just speak english, the only time anyone considers anyone else to be raciest is when there white or when things are said in english! Because I speak 3 languages English Spanish ...

Do you think there should be a Federal law enacted that states that when a lawsuit?
is brought forth, the loser has to pay ALL costs? Would this stop the ambulance chasers and the idiots that sue at the drop of a hat?...

Can minors rent an apartment?

what do you do if your doctor has broken a hippa law and has given out info on you to family?
i live in connecticut and i had a doctor who i thought was very nice ,but turns out hes a nut job, my sister whos a vendictive ***** wanted the meds my doctor was prescribing me and when i wouldnt ...

can giving an example considered as evidence?

Do all people who use illegal drugs ruin their lives?
When people talk about meth they talk about the symptoms of heavy use like meth mouth, you have to steal to get a fix, your bad and there is something wrong with you.
What happens if you use ...

Can a school force you to clean a bus?
Basically I left a crushed arizona can on the bus. Bus driver claims someone was 'almost injured' when he should have seen it and picked it up in the first place. Now he wants me staying ...

A Girl Brought Weed To My School, And Was Only Suspended For a Week?
I Dont really Get it. She brought a bag of weed to my middle school, and she got checked and they found it. She was gone for a week and we thought she was gone for good, probably in juvey or expelled,...

my poperty was stolen. i gave the guy 1 day to give me my money. He only gave less ten half. can i still press?
I had a generator and zaw-zaw stolen. i know who didi it and he admitted it. now hw had 1 day to give 260.00 the value of the property. He only gave me 70.00 and i took it. Can i still press charges?...

can you consider this just by giving an example as evidence?
if made a claim for example " Whales are mammals" then i gave an example like blue whales and humpback whales are mammals... are these examples blue whales and humpback whales considered ...

Do you think that every state in the US should take up the Immigration Act?
Please explain your answer. Do you think that illegal aliens are taking jobs from American's? Do you think that illegal aliens should receive healthcare and public housing? Most thought out ...

is it against copyright laws to use a character like mario on my website ads?
I am creating a website and in one of the banners I want to use popular characters like Mario- is that illegal?...

How legally binding is my lease renewal?
I had a 12 month apartment lease that ran March 1-February 28. I then renewed it the following year for the next March 1-February 28. The next year, the leasing company sent me a renewal form. T...

I am an Apartament Manager, Can I disclose information on my tenants to the census bureau?Is it legal?
Is it legal for me to hand out my tenants personal information which the census workers persistently ask for? Can I use my Fifth Amendment?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links