Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can the mailman legally deliver mail to a person that does not live at the stated address?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can the mailman legally deliver mail to a person that does not live at the stated address?

Postal Professor
Most of the above answers are incorrect in one way or another.

When I get a piece of mail for an address and the name is unfamiliar to me...
The US Postal Service has stickers that read something to the effect of... delivery is being attempted for this address. If this person does not live here return this letter to your mailbox without writing on it.
If the person lives there then I know to deliver any additional mail to them at the address. If it is in the mailbox the next day, then I know that the person does not receive mail at the address. Any mail that I receive for that person at that address will be sent back as 'addressee unknown"

The regular carrier on a route always checks the name and address on the mail. We do not deliver mail 'blindly'. If the mail is delivered to the address by a substitute carrier there may be a different result. The best way for you to help in the proper delivery of mail is to list the last names of people receiving mail on your mailbox. In this way all carriers will know for certain who accepts mail at the address.

politically_incorrect_profanity
Rating
Yes.

The post office is directed to deliver mail to the address listed on the envelope/parcel. The name of the addressee is inconsequential to the proper delivery of the article to the address as listed on the article.

Teekno
Yes, he delivers to the address.

Now, it's not legal for someone else to open it, though, even if it's misaddressed.

Barry C
Rating
Of course.

How would you practically prevent that without the cost of postage going up 10,000 fold so everyone can verify an address every day to see who lives there?

HRH Princess Deb
Rating
My experience has been that they only look at the address, not the name. I've had my same PO Box for about 7 years and I still get stuff for the previous people.

p h
Yes. But if they are not there, the person who is there can write moved, left no forwarding address on it and send it back.

ravenhon
Rating
Yes they can. It is their duty to deliver the mail to wherever it was mailed. They can't be asked to know who lives where.

kimmy3
yes, he does not have to know who actually lives there, if there is no change of address submitted. His job is to DELIVER, not discern whether somebody lives there, or not.

Phil M
Rating
They deliver mail where its addressed, and they will only forward it to a different address if properly notified.

Its not illegal for them to unknowingly deliver mail to an address you no longer lived at and didn't tell them about.

holly
Usually they deliver it to the addressed mailbox.

Knowitall
yes

sean m
Rating
yes

Lisa
Yes. They do it all the time. People move and don't give forwarding addresses or the mail man makes a mistake once and a while. Just give it back to him/her and tell them the person doesn't live there or put it back in the mailbox with the flag up and write on it "Doesn't live here"

John
Yes, The mail man delivers to the address not the person.

Ruth
Rating
Yes, just put the name of the householder and by the name put c/o [in care of] Then the name of the one you want to receive the mail.

Andrew Wiggin
Postal carriers are charged with getting the MAIL to the ADDRESS. Whether the mail is correctly identified with the right name is completely inconsequential to the postal carrier.

(I got my TV Guide delivered for years to "King Kong" at my home address. I did this for the purpose of seeing how many credit card offers were delivered for Mr. King Kong"

Nobody wants to live in a world where the postal carrier has to confirm your identity before handing you your mail.... That would be a bad-bad process to have to live with.

mikesluv
since the new homeland security issues have been in place,if the post office has received proof of identity they may deliver 1st class mail to anyone that is identified as being at said address.If someone sends something to someone staying at a certain address (in care of) that is acceptable.If the addressee is not known it should be returned to sender.If they used to live there the only things allowed through would be something that has their name/current resident (or in other words standard not 1st class mail)

Jessi
Rating
they don't look at the name, only the address...we get mail for other people who lived at this address all the time...we just stick it back in the mailbox with the name circled and "no longer living at this address" written on it...there is no law against it, they have to deliver the mail no matter whose name is on it

Wildroze
Yes, if it is addressed to that address it doesn't matter what name is on the mail.

axelsteel m
Rating
no think of the consequences say like the mail he was delivering to the wrong person was bank statements then that person who has recieved the mail could hav access to major amounts of money so not good.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should i try to get what some people are telling me?
im getting divorced and some people tell me that i should get whats entitled to me.i have 3 kids and for the last few years i stayed pretty much at home watching r 2 youngest children and completely ...

HOW LONG WILL I BE JAIL IF I HAVE A WARRENT OUT FOR MY ARREST IF I DIDNT DO MY COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS AND THI?
how long will i be in jail if i have a warrant out for my arrest for not doing my community service hours if this is my first ...

What is the most flouted law (currently on the statute book) in the UK?
I'm looking for the law which the greatest number of people flout at anyone time, or over a fixed period (say 24 hours)...

Will the religious right try for a theocracy within the next 4 years?

Should known paedophiles have passports taken away?.?
dont wait until they offend in other countries surely we have a duty not to export our problems....

How long can you go to jail for owing 800 hundred dollars child support?

Additional Details
im in ...

Can i be prosecuted by a speed camera that clearly shows mine & my partners face?
surely this is an invasion of privacy. Good job it was with my partner....

Why is it that the murder or ill treatment of a small child is punished to a lesser degree than an adult?
I am thinking largely about crimes such as a child killed or brutalised by parents or step-parents.
I am always staggered by the lenience shown to the brutes who carry out such acts.
Why is ...

Do you think that Tony Blair and George Bush should both be tried at the Hague for their war crimes?

Additional Details
There is a chance to find out what other people think at these web sites.

http://www.petitiononlin http://www....

Does shooting someone in the leg constitute attempted murder?

Additional Details
Thinking about the Chappelle Show where the guy gets shot in the knee lol. (no i'm not planning on shooting anyone in the leg lol in the knee, and yes I know ...

Should a patient at a hospital, have a LEGAL right to request a doctor of their own ethnicity from their own?
country????...

My friend was arrested yesterday...?
Ok so my friend who is 19, got arrested yesterday. She was at the mall shopping and they suspected her of shoplifting (which she wasn't) and a county policeman approached her in the parking lot, ...

Why can't we have a stronger and better GUN CONTROL SYSTEM? 2nd time posting this Q!?
Once Again!!!
I'm 99.9% certain that the number of people kill each year by the use of guns CAN BE AVOIDED. So why can't congress abolish all guns to the general public? Don't ...

If 18 is legal...then?
Could I legally ask high school seniors to pose nude for a magazine or web site and publicize that they are high school girls?
(not that I'm thinking it, but it would be lucrative)...

Why is marijuana illegal if cigars, cigarettes and alcohol cause more deaths per year?
There has never been a recorded death from weed sometimes its laced with other more harmful drugs. Cigarettes cause cancer and kill people and alcohol causes accidents of all kinds....

Who are the worst drivers out there?

What would you do if you found this?
If you found a wallet/purse no one sees you and inside is £200
with credit cards and driving licence.Would you keep or take to address on licence,if you keep it what would you do with cards and ...

What is your opinion on Legally owning a gun for your families protection?
I DON"T like guns, As a matter of fact I hate them! They kill people, But if someone breaks in your house and they are going to hurt your family, Then what would your opinion be about safetly ...

Rape of a child, do you think it deserves capital punishment?
such as the death penalty....

Does the bible allow us to lie?
that is if that lie does ot hurt ,kill or ingure ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links