Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can the newspaper print my name?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can the newspaper print my name?

I am a college student and the campus newspaper printed a story on me without my permission. Furthermore, they used my name and reported wrong information. Can I do anything about this legally or such?

rickinnocal
Rating
Newspapers, even college ones, can print anything that is newsworthy, including your name.

If the wrong information they printed was defamatory, and they printed it willfully, then you can sue them for libel.

If it was simply a mistake - They said "John Smith, a freshman", when you're actually a junior, for example, then no - you have no recourse.

Richard

laughter_every_day
If you are in the u.s., the first amendment guarantee of freedom of the press means that can print what they wish without your consent and without government interference. If the press printed an untruthful thing about you, that was detrimental to your character, and people believed it, and you suffered tangible financial harm as a consequence, and you are not a public figure, you can sue for your actual damages caused by the libel. If you are asking if a newspaper can generally print stories without your permission, the answer is yes.

Mike
You can sue for libel. They need to print a retraction.

Sandy Sandals
Contact them to print a retraction or correction.

I Am Bob
Rating
you now have the right to sue the ****s off them =D good luck

inappropriatus
Rating
The answer depends on the situation....

I will not go into a list of hypotheticals, but there are certain protections afforded by the first amendment.

Need more details to answer this correctly

philip
i found out today that my name and age was printed in the sunday times claiming that i was dumping waste electronics in africa illegally. to which was not true, but what had happened was that a customer who loaded from our company had bought some items from other suppliers and added them to goods purchased from us and when stopped by the environment they classed everything as waste. but the way the paper told the story was that i was shipping waste illegally stating my full name and age. can they do this

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why healthcare should remain privatized in the United States?
please be informative and persuasive. I have to give a speech about this and know nothing about it. please ...

Should I get a lawyer, Would any court giving me custody of my brothers?
After my dad died when I was 16, My mom depended on me a lot to do stuff my dad would like work to pay for stuff, look after my brothers they where only 1 an 3 years old. I did that until I was 18 ...

Is it legal for people to go through someone's trash?
There are various people who go through my trash looking for things they can recycle such as cans. They untie my tied up plastic bags, spilling my private trash from bathroom trash bag to kitchen ...

Why does my ex boss need to contact human recourses because of me?
I worked PT as Assistant Super for a little over 3 months,and I am on disability,I verbally told my ODSP worker and she told me to send Proof and I could keep half my earnings and they would keep the ...

Any legal minded people... if a car wash damages a car, whats the position in UK law.?
It ripped off a plastic spoiler from a new car roof! this was at a large supermarket chain in the UK, they had the smallest sign ever saying" they accept no responsibility for damages". I ...

I am 16 years old. Is my employer required to give me a rest-break and a lunch-break?

No Further Proceedings regarding Penalty Points?
I didnt pay a fixed penalty which would have cost me £120 and 6 points on my license

I admitted to the police at the time I was guilty and everything lol

Today I found out that ...

Need help with CA employment law - legal deductions?
If a company pays on the 15th & 30th of the month, and is paid 'to-date' (time is accrued up to the day of pay; i.e., employee submits time for the 1st-15th, then is paid on the 15th) ...

What are the arguments for people against tobacco regulation?
There is a new bill that passed through the house and is now going through the senate. There is a slight chance it'll pass. I'm doing a debate and arguing against regulation. Being anti-...

Is It against the law?
If i try to talk to somone on myspace, and make it known that they arent interested, but kinda beat around the bush, and never actually tell me to stop or go away, is it considered illegal??...

Errr, a cop just gave me a fine for killing a praying mantis?
The ticket says, "2:15 P.M. *********** was seen harming an endangered insect that people were watching in Bronx Park next to the restrooms and vending machines."

Some A...

Is it illegal to download of pirate bay and mininova?
Hi my friend downloads films and music off Pirate Bay and Mininova using Utorrent to download the torrent is this illgal? I think it is btw but want a second ...

Why do people lie? Is it some kind of legal problem?
Can you get by with one small particle of honesty?...

Is there a legal age for two girls to stop sharing rooms.?
I have two daughters -One is 7 and the other is 16. I know it's different for boys but at what legal are girls suppose to ...

Is it fair to suggest Texas is its own worst enemy?
I am from Texas. I was born and raised here. I'm not your stereotypical Texan. I'm a staunch Democrat, and I loathe George Bush. I like Barack Obama, and I despise country music. Anyway, my ...

Reasons FOR the legalisation of cannabis - DEBATE?

Do you think that justice exists?
what is justice anyway?...

Do Illegal Immigrants Threaten U.S. Health Care?
this is for the opposing part of my paper. once again, as much input as possible would be lovely....

Jail sentence charge?
i just harrassed my neighbor, how much jail time will I get?...

Can a doctor be sued for doing THIS?
Adminitrating wrong dosis of anesthesia like this:

-Duing epidural, not applying local anesthesia first

-During c-section, administered too much anesthesia causing the woman&#...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links