Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can the police assume that someone stole something without any proof and charge them for it as a felony?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can the police assume that someone stole something without any proof and charge them for it as a felony?

you see my bf was at a ligour store and he tried to steal some liquor, them the cops came. so he got arrested but there was more liquor in our car and the police put that down as stolen too. now can the police do that, like just assume something is stolen without proof and charge it as a felony??? i need help trying to contace someone who can hlep me get this all straigtened out

Its a wonderful life.
They can charge you for shooting JFK if they want. They just have to prove that you did it.

rejectedzipper
Rating
Sorry, but as you said yourself "He tried to steal some liquor" - even if you get them to ignore the stuff in the car he still broke the law.

michelob86
Yes. If your boyfriend didn't say where he got it and he didn't have a receipt to show he paid for it, they can charge for it, and a judge would have to rule on if it was a fair charge. Since he was already caught stealing liquor, the absence of any evidence he bought the other liquor would be enough suspicion.

George S
Rating
Yes, I think they can but they need to prove it.

Police can charge people for anything they want but then they have to answer to lawyers and judges.

Skitzee2k
You're thieves, i'm not advising you. Go steal a law book.

Hannah
Rating
The police will do anything they want, they intimidate people all the time, you need to get a lawyer, and NOT the public defender. Like it or not, our justice system will do what they want when they want, unless you have a decent lawyer, and sometimes that isn't even enough, just stand up for your rights, and if you aren't guilty of what they are charging you with, then fight.

Minaya&Chris
Rating
If he is black then yea!
You all know it is true!
Oh and if I were you, I would leave him, why would you stick with someone who steals liquor of all things!

Artman
Yes they can, pending investigation, but that doesn't mean he will get actually charged for that extra liquor.

If the plice do not take that liquor and later it turn out to be stolen then they'd would be in serious truoble so they take everything as evidence until they can verify if it's stolen or not. It's 100% legal procedure.

Since you bf was arrested for stealing that give the police the right to asumme the rest of the itmes are also stolen. But they wont be allowed to take this to curt unless they find for a fact that it was stolen (for example they need the "real" owner to press charges).

Most likely the police is now, asking around other liquor stores if they have "lost" something similar to what they found in the car.

Golden
very simple to deal with. provide receipts for all products. of course you will not be able to provide receipts for stolen merchandise, and are liable to be charged.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is there any Australian law which you strongly disagree with?
Please explain your thoughts.
Additional Details
it's dingo ATE your baby.
my god that was a poor attempt at a joke, idiot....

Can someone sue if.....?
I know someone who was divorced. But the mother in law of the husband was taking advantage of his wife. She taught that she was going to be an heir to a house. Therefore the mother in law was trying ...

Does anyone know how to go about regaining custody or communication with there child?
I have talked to a few lawyers out here but its all the same and a lot of money needs to be spent. I work a pt job and babysit a little on the side. My daughter lives with her her Grandparents my A...

Medicaid SS Disability check?
I;m 18 years old and need to get operated on my knee. I have medicaid now but can I qualify for the disability benefits? Does my age matter? Will my medicaid affect it?...

Im trying to find an example of a court case where someone was convicted of attempt?
example of an ...

WOULD THIS BE ILLEGAL?
Is it illegal for a guy to send a girl a shirtless picture and would it still be illegal if he was wearing bathing trunks? What if a girl sent a picture to guy and she was wearing a bikini? Would ...

Would my company be likely to settle in this case?
Without getting into details... I have an arguable case against my ex-employer. They would most likely win the case, but it is definitely an arguable case. Is it possible that if I did sue my ...

How and where do i search for assisted living in nys?
i live in bronx nursing home i want to live independently on my ssi ...

Prisoners put to work with very little pay - is that like slavery?

Additional Details
"Slaves were innocent victims" A few years back one of Illinois' politicians suspended the death penalty because so many men on death row, (supposedly ...

Being Served-Jurisdication for Civil Lawsuit?
Can a corporation/company that resides in RI file a lawsuit to an ex-employee that lives in FL? If yes, would the lawsuit be in FL or RI, since the defendant resides in FL, NOT RI?

Also, ...

Where can I report a lawyer's wrong doing and misconduct?
He is an immigration lawyer given out totally wrong advice and result of his client being deported....

What do judges look at in a custody battle?
I live in the state of texas. Me and my ex have a 4 year old son. I left his father 2 years ago and never took him to court. Ever since then we both have been sharing time with him. We have set a ...

Is this true about moving out in Texas?
"OK here is what i know after a lot of research and you can tell a cop this. A letter from the attorney general says the definition of a few things. 1. It is stated that the definition of a ...

Is it illegal to marry your cousin?
I think I read somewhere that it is illegal to marry your cousin, but I am desperately in love with mine! I live in the UK btw....

Why is marijuanna illegal?

I ordered something very important off a website and its been delayed 3-4 times is this legal?
Is that legal? Because I want some sort of compisation but I dont know what to email them to scare them.
Additional Details
They already took my money off my ...

I was a victim of an un-provoked assult, can i sue?
me, my cousin and my best frineds were approached my 2 boys who then went on to hit my cousin with a shovel, this ripped his ear almost off, broke his nose and cut his head, they then beat me up, hit ...

Difference between freedom of assembly and loitering?

Additional Details
what if we are in front of my friends house not causing no problems and police try to give us a loitering ticket are they wrong or are we? Keep in mind we are all ...

If a store clerk tells you return something and you go in the store they don't take it back what sh?
Is this a breach of contract. can you sue the store for this?...

If we are democracy, why we don't have a referendum on internet file sharing, that is "illegal"now?
The laws that please big corporations are forcing normal people to give more money to extremely rich people...Democracy should care about the will of majority and therefore not "protect" ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, April 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links