Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can you get arrested in a church?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you get arrested in a church?

I was in Bruges recently and one of the tour guides said that the abbey was a safe haven. Is this still the case in Catholic countries and has it ever been the case in the UK?

Doethineb
Rating
Sanctuary existed in our national law from the 4th to the 17th century. A person was safe from arrest in the sanctuary of a church or temple. While this right was abolished in the aftermath of the Reformation, there have been modern cases where people have sought sanctuary in churches in the UK and the authorities have tolerated the situation. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jul/26/immigration.immigrationandpublicservices

I can't comment on the law of Catholic countries.

wizjp
Rating
IN current day law, I don't believe the "sanctuary" exception would hold much water,

Violation Notification
Yes of course. Do you think if someone ran in a church with a gun the police would just sit outside and wait for them to come back out?

Je m'aime
Yes you can be arrested in a church in North america, I'm not sure about other places in the world.

-Mr Z-
Rating
Yes.

PJ
Rating
Yes. Churches are safe havens, but that doesn't mean you CANNOT be arrested in a church. There are situations where you cannot. There are situations where, I am sure, the church and it's members would hand you over in an instant. What kind of a church is going to harbor a murderer or child rapist?

sgoldperson
Rating
There are still times when the police will just surround the church and wait the person out. I think this is more for non-violent type though. It's really a situation where police storming a Church is bad for their image so they won't do it. About the only way you still have "sanctuary" is if your are a foreign national and go to the embassy of that Country.

IceT
Yes because the Obama administration has labeled you a threat to national security.

groovymaude
Sometimes they have to arrest priests, ministers, vicars,pastors etc.so, these days yes you can be arrested in church

david h
Rating
Many years ago people could claim sanctuary while inside a church, this meant they could not be arrested and were safe from the law.
Times change and this is not the case now !

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Current Trial Cases.... any you know of?
Hi there!
Okay, so for school, I need to look up a current trial case, and switch it into the case for "To Kill a Mockingbird." I'll need to redo the story line and such to make ...

How can anyone be legally charged with "Obstruction of a Highway" instead of a DWI if there was no obstruction?
I completely understand the idea of persuading people to plea guilty to a lesser charge in order to simply secure an easy guilty plea. Obviously, this approach behooves both a defensive lawyer and a ...

Criminal Law? Admissibility?
If there has been a robbery at a bank a say £1million is stolen. The police interview me and I confess, it was all bob's fault and the money is at his house.

But bob's says in ...

The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patent Act?
The 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patent Act gives total protection to the creator of an original work. Write an essay in which you:

Argue that such protection may be, albeit perversely, ...

Have I been unfaily dismissed?
I worked fo the NHS I was on a fixed term contract for 12 months which started on July 2007, it was extended by 6 months verbally I was told last week I had to apply for my job back but I was to ...

If someone in UK was charged with murder?
How much do you think the bail money would be?...

What if somebody wants to marry a girl of his own choice ( inter caste) n waiting for his parents approval.?
Hi,
One of my friend ( belongs to Bramhin Family) wants to marry a girl with his own choice.
But the thing is that his parents are not ready just bcoz of the inter caste as they are quite ...

What is the law in regard to the security of information that postal workers have daily access to ......?
Postal workers see the publications and all kinds of post being delivered to our addresses.They can easily build up a profile of each individual.So can they be prosecuted for discussing this with ...

Is it true that a juror can NOT read the Newspaper or watch the news until the defendent is released/convicted?

Additional Details
how old do u hav 2 b 2 b in da jury?...

Need help finding research?
One of my family members died and we suspect it to be because of malpractice.

How can I find research about the hospital on my own to see if anything like this has ever happen before?

Why is it legal to charge more money to use a credit card at the gas station?
A gas station advertises $1.99 on their sign for 87 octane, and $2.09 if you plan on using a credit card. Why is this not against the law yet? Both forms of currency are legal tender, and charging ...

Why does no one ever answer ANY of my questions in this category!?!?!?!?

Additional Details
Because when I look at other questions they also have 0 (zero) replies....

Wasn't there a law passed a couple years ago that lets you pick what school you go to?
I live in Ohio and I was chatting with this woman whom I babysit for and I explained that I started home schooling because I didn't like my school. She was surprised to hear that I went to this ...

When someone files a complaint of inappropriate behavior against a dr...?
I filed a complaint against a dr and when I did they told me that it would go on his record, it would remain in his record but what I want to know is if I can check and make sure it is in his record ...

Why did montana, idaho, kansas and Utah abolish the insanity defense?

What happened in the case Boyde v. California?
i know boyde petitioned for a lesser sentencing but what eventually ...

How old do you have to be to carry a side arm?
I am 18 enlisted in the Marine Corps and I was wondering if I could buy and carry (open carry) a side arm? I've heard everything from no way to yes but you cant have one chambered. enlighten me ...

Can you lie about your age in Minnesota to get a job?
i live in minnesota! im 14 years old and i want to get a job! their is a job for subway next to my house and i have been wondering if i should lie and say i am 16! i am really tall and look like a 16 ...

Ok so i have a preliminary hearing on wed 29th?
i hired an atty the day that it was supposed to happen around the 8th he hasnt gotten ahold of me yet when i originally went in to talk to him for the consultation, i only was in with him a 1/2 hr ...

What are some of the repercussions of declaring a public health emergency for swine flu?
I understand that a public health emergency allows the legal detention of people without the right of habeus corpus....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links