Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can you go to jail for punching someone in the face?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you go to jail for punching someone in the face?

Say you saw this guy choking and trying to mug this girl on the streets. You step in front behind and help her by beating the mugger senseless in the face until he falls down.

Can the mugger sue you for assaulting him? Will you be sent to jail for attacking him?

Beep B
THE PROSECUTOR WOULD NOT PUT YOU ON CRIMINAL TRIAL FOR ASSISTING TO PROTECT SOMEONE...The rapist however can sue you in CIVIL court for money..Do not get CIVIL/CRIMINAL courts confused

Dan
Rating
He shouldn't be able to sue you, but it's not unheard of. It shouldn't matter either way though, help the girl regardless.

normobrian
Regardless of what these other idiots say, you would be in no way, whatsoever, criminally liable. You could step in and shoot the guy, stab him, or punch him in the face. You could whack him with a lead pipe from behind. If he dies as a result, you'd be free to go.

Like one other commentor wrote, as long as you stop when the threat stops, you cannot be charged or sued. If he is unconcious, and you contiunue to beat him, that is a crime, for instance.

When there are two parties to an assault (victim and perpetraitor), a third party can intervene on behalf of the victim and is afforded the same protections under the law as the victim himself (or herself). If she couldn't be charged or sued, then neither can you. It falls under the Good Samaritan laws.

Artie B
Rating
In this stupid world we live in, you very possibly could. And that mugger could sue you....and WIN! So it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Phil Osophy
Rating
From an objective stance "no", however, the nation in which we live does not conduct judiciary actions objectively. This is why the case could go either way depending on different factors: your lawyer, his lawyer, the judge, the overall consensus on whether you beat the mugger in access, and whether what you did could be classified as self defense.

I have seen similar instances with extremely unethical outcomes. I knew someone at my high school last year, age 18, who was instigated by another kid, age 17, the 17 year old hit the 18 year old several times before the 18 year old restricted the 17 year old from moving. The 17 year old was still able to land punches in the abdomen of the 18 year, so the 18 year old punched him twice in the face. Neither of them had any prior offenses, however, the 18 year old went to jail where he was booked and charged with assault, whereas, the 17 year old went to Juvenile hall where he recieved a warning and was released the next day. How does that make sense.

I know I expanded way beyond the question, however, my point was trying to prove that society as a whole must re-evaluate all of our enforced laws based on what is truly moral. If we do not many transgressions will be made against individuals doing the right thing.

gdazn
You can fight this one I think. Well, you're trying to protect someone and if there are witnesses, you are more likely to win.

Yes, he can sue you but I don't think he will win. And yes, you can be sent to jail if everything works against you.

equalityboy81
I'm not an attorney but I would say yes and no to both your questions. Not being an attorney I would advise you to seek legal advice from one. Do not speak to anyone without an attorney present. You did a noble thing. You may not go to jail but he may sue you and win or vice-versa. I think you'll have the community on your side anyhow. Most citizens, cops, prosecutors, and judges would do their best to help you in a situation like this but that doesn't mean the perpetrator may not get his own lawyer and take legal action by suing or pressing charges. Stranger things have happened like one time a burglar sued the home owner for stabbing him or something like that and won. Get an attorney! There is always citizen's arrest. Bring that up to a lawyer.

Brittney Leigh
Rating
most likely no. if he was a random person and you just punched him, then yes. but since you are helping a citizen, and you arent using deadly force you are generally fine. selfdefense by the law is using equal force, so as long as you dont kill him, you should be fine. he can sue you, anyone can sue anyone for anything, but since hes commiting a crime he probably isnt going to make it. there are some states where its actually against the law to NOT do anything.

Tsunami
Rating
he can file for assualt but then again you have witness that saysyou were protecting her so i think it wouldn't work.

Tony
youll be sued for not helping the girl

Kenneth C
Rating
You are only allowed to use enough force to stop the threat. Now if the threat has ceased and you continue turning the guys face into hamburger meat, you could be held liable for assault 3rd degree at the very minimum. However, if he keeps doing what he is doing, then you do what you have to do. However, if the police rolls up and the lady is a witness and says you were defending her from getting mugged, I am pretty sure nothing will happen to you.

CAP
Rating
If he was assualting the women, you might have a chance not to get charged.....

But you have to use justified force.. You cant knock him out and keep hitting him...

The judge decides on if the force you used in this case punching him in the fast was right.

keeep it justifiable

im a guy_17 Tokio Hotel Rulez
Rating
no he cant

bajaricky
Rating
He can try to sue
As long as the police report reads how you stated the event
no you wont go to jail for protecting a lady who is being mugged

however if you did go to jail then
you call the newspaper the radio staiton the tv stations etc
and tell your story my freind youll be a hero

Snake eater
absolutely not. ever heard of a citizens arrest? well its real and what your talking about is essentally the same thing so if you run across a mugger... kick the **** out of him :)

mentalflames
What was the guy choking on? Was he eating a hamburger or something while he tried to mug her?

JS
Rating
You probably won't be charged with assault if it is clear that you were trying to stop someone from being assaulted. However, there is a line between beating someone unconscious and stopping them until police arrive.

Being sued and being charged with assault are two different issues.

Try just restraining someone rather than beating them to a pulp.

One dollar and NINE CENTS!!!!!
No, it was technically considered self defense.

Cherry
The girl will testify in your defense so you will be fine but you may spend a few hours in jail but most likely not

john c
Rating
it's a gray area...you might be arrested but probably not convicted. You can be sued but i doubt he would win.

Cleano
Hmmm I don't think you can be sued for it, because if the person you see is in real danger like in the description "choking" then yes its called self defense or in this case self defense to others so more than likely you'll get off scott free.

Jennifer H
Rating
Well in this sick sad world we live in, yes, he could press charges and go to jail.

charmaine g
Depends on your criminal record.

ellis.turrell
You'd be better off placing him under citizens arrest rather than aggravating him.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is is appropriate for a Director to slap or beat the actress out of anger?
Apparently the actress didn't act properly or made a mistake, so the director went straight to her and slapped her. He claims there was nothing wrong about his actions - he says just like we ...

Do you think that marijuana should be legalized in the USA?

Do white people need an organization to help protect them against racism such as the african americans have ?

Additional Details
i didn't see acatagory for rhetoric but it was for my on info on how people felt .personally i feel global peace can only begin withglobal equality ;)- ...

Is there a law that says you must have TV licence:-?
If so who made this law, if the government is it then not a tax on TV's, should it then not be shared to all program suppliers. What happens about people wuo download programs to their computer ...

Are you a supporter of National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML)?

I have a question about my rights!!?
In Ohio, if someone has been harrasing you { and you have not reported it} and then when your out walking and they hit you, do you have the right to hit them with a brick or something if thats the ...

Do you think I have a case?
I was walking up some stairs today to get into a building at my college and I fell on the stairs. I'm already cautious as it is going up this specific stairwell because it's marble, so it ...

My husband's former employer will not pay him a week of work.?
The guy that owes him a week's pay check is a contractor. They had a verbal agreeement he would get paid on a weekly basis. My husband got a better paying job so he had to leave his job. But ...

Can you sue a cop for saying racist words?

Out of: lethal injection, electrocution, hanging, and gas chamber, what is the kindest method of execution?

Why don't Americans think about the food they eat?
I get, "Look, I like my chicken fried, I don't think about it" and it makes me wonder... Isn't eating something that was alive at least a slight responsibility? I don't ...

Caught with less than one ounce of weed?
my brother has a court date soon .....does he just show up by himself ...or does he have to take a lawer with him .....

If someone tried to burgal your house, what sort of self defence is ok.?
If someone tried to burgal your house, what sort of self defence is ok. also can you answers these aswell

1) What happens if you kill him.
2) What happens if you put him in hospital....

How do you feel about rapists?
Someone told me that the perpetrators should be put to death. In my opinion, I would be very angry at the perpetrators and feel very sad for the victims. I was a victim of both rape and molestation ...

Does crime pay?
well?.......

What strategies can a man use to get out of having to pay child support?

Should I sue?! Do I have a chance?
My father went into the hospital after suffering cardiac arrest. He had blockage in two of his arteries, one 70% and the other was 93% though we didn't know it was that bad at the time. They put ...

Do you think hand guns(not rifles) should be illegized?
i think lots of murders are done with hand guns cuz theyre easily concealed, now i think that everyone should own a gun, for home protection, but other than cops why do we really need handguns,...

Are you for or against the death penalty? give reasons?
:)...

Animal Rights: what's your stance?

Additional Details
yes, it was vague. brought up some interesting issues....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, July 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links