Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Can you sue if a co-worker hits you?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you sue if a co-worker hits you?

Can I sue the company I work for if a co-worker hit me and it has been documented and there are witness who has seen his threats of violence before. Can I sue the Co-worker. I live in California.

flflamme
You really don't need to sue them. It is considered assault and you simply call and have them arrested.

isskyle
Yes, the employer is creating a unsafe work enviornment.

All threats and acts of violence should be taken seriously. They should be reported asap.

leena_070586
Rating
I do not think so.....where is the company at fault?

browncutie
Gosh people always wanna sue for anything...what's the reason he/she hits you for? Did you do something did you hit first, if not then for sure you can sue, Nowadays you can sue for anything even if you can't they will try to find a way trust me. Why don't you just man up and go fight outside and settle it once and for all!! Lol j/k

Darren E
Can you? Yes.

Will you win? Doubt it, but maybe.

One question is: You have witnesses who have seen threats of violence. Was the *company* aware of them? Would a reasonable person have expected the company to be aware?

Did the company do (or fail to do) something that a reasonable person would have done to anticipate or prevent it? Upon being hit, was the co-worker disciplined and/or fired?

And did you suffer actual damage because of that failure?

Can you sue the co-worker? How much damage was done? Did you have to go get treatment for it? Did you file a police report about it / was the co-worker arrested?

To get a taste of the answer of if you could win, you should consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. It would surprise me if a lawyer would take your case on contingency (i.e. work on your behalf expecting a cut of any award instead of money up front,) but not impossible. And if your company is of any size, remember they have more money than you do to defend it - and so does their insurance.

Finally, whistleblower or no, are you prepared to face legally-justifiable retaliation for filing suit against your company? Think about it.

But good luck!

sourcewaterman
Rating
Oh, boy can you ever.

Work place violence. Terroristic Threats. Documented complaints...hostile work environment.

I bet twenty lawyers have already responded to this question.

Contact EEO...immediately.

laughter_every_day
Rating
You can sue anyone you want. If you have economic damage, you are likely to prevail over someone who punches you. You will not win over the company for several reasons. One is that worker's comp is the sole remedy against the employer for on-the-job injuries. The second is because the employer is not a guarantor of your safety.

Perfect
If it has been taken to the employer and proper disciplinary actions has been taken then the employer is covered. If ur employer has just let it slide then u could sue ur employer for something..... i don't remember but yeah if ur serious about it then talk to a lawyer

Random Guy
You can always attempt to sue for anything. Whether you'll win or not is another issue. Most cases like these will only end up costing you a ton of money and if the attack isn't warrant as enough damage of if there isn't enough to prosecute, you'll end up with a more hefty lawyer fee than anything. Even if you were to win in a case, it is up to you to get the information necessary from the person or company you are suing in order for you to get the garnished wage. If you don't, the court won't obtain this info for you and you'll end up with a deadbeat that might not pay.

Your best chances are to consult a lawyer and explain your scenario to see if you have a fighting chance.

Marsha
Rating
of course you can
you can practically sue anyone for anything if you have enough money for a good laywer

Words of Wisdom
sure you can..good luck

verybizzy2000
Yes, but the suit against your company might actually be a worker's compensation claim. Worker's comp imposes strict liability on employers if you were injured while in the course of your employment. In many states, you need a lawyer specialized in that field to help you.

Chuck T
Rating
Sue your employer, unless they took action on the priors you have a good case . oh sue the co worker too....

jackson
Rating
Sure you can. But to seal the deal you need to file a police report against the person who hit you.

Mini Midas
California? hell ya!

Weabol
Rating
if the company has done nothing and they have been warned then yes

Jenna <3
Rating
Yes

zebin d
To sue someone it depends on how old you are. So if your age is smaller then eighteen then you can't sue that person. I think you can sue that person if it is a document, you have witness, and the point that your are eighteen years old. :)>-

Luckylug
i got sued for making fun of democrats. i mean wtf, seriously.

Little'Old'Me
Yes you can. That is an assault, and you will most likely win, unless you did something extreme to cause the hit.

Colon Blow
Rating
You can sue anyone you would like. However, you won't collect anything by suing the company. The company was not behind your co-worker's violence. You must sue the co-worker him/herself.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I wanna be a lawyer when i'm older. Any tips ?

Should people be allowed the right to assisted suicide ?
With many people suffering from various form of illness regardless of what kind and others simply emotionally not able to handle things do you think that people should be allowed the right to die in ...

Social Services took our son from us! Why?
We have a 3 year old son with developmental problems and problems growing. We have been taking him to a doctor to have him treated with this since he was 4 months old! He even gets behavioral therepy ...

Why do we use sterile needles on criminals condemned to death?

Can someone give me good answers??
i asked a question about juvy and all i got was i okay answer??
my question was:
How bad is juvy??
I have entered juvy but not stayed there
im not a CRIMINAL!!!!
i just got ...

Can a teacher legally do this?
Someone (not me) emailed a radio station and said that it was my english teachers 70th birthday. He/she recorded it and sent it to me, and I put it on youtube. She found out and told me that it was ...

Who thinks child molesters should be put to death????
11 points for best answer
Additional Details
I think they should and have it be the most painful slowest death possible....

Is this fair and legal?
If an employee was entitled to an annual raise (on their doh) and the employer did give the raise until about a month later, should that employee be entitled to back pay for the time that he/she didn&...

Can I sue drugstore for selling expired cough drops?
I purchased some HALLS cough drops from a local CVS pharmacy and they had expired in 03/2006, I am interested in seeing if I have some grounds for a law suit THANKS
(I have receipt)...

Whats so wrong about being american?
why is it so wrong to be "so american" like when someone says "....your so american" and Usually your first reaction would be "...how am i so american"?? why is it that ...

Public Smoking Ban?
Do you think there should be a public smoking ban? List three reasons why there should or should not be one....

Is it right? Don Imus has been fired for "inflamatory remarks", but Howard S. has ....?
...said much worse and he is till on the air and more famous than ever before in his career. Also, if a black comentator had, said,"those cracker ho's", would he/she had been fired? My ...

My boss thinks i should date him before i can enjoy promotions and other benefits.?

Should a county judge (USA) have his walls decorated with Christian art?
I recently had the pleasure of going to court for a business matter and while in the judge's chambers was honestly blown away by his walls. They had 15-20 rather large pictures pertaining to C...

I am 16 years old and recently got arrested for petty theft. what consequences might I be facing in court?
I have never done anything like this before, my record is clean. I don't think petty theft is considered a felony but even so, would this occurence show on my record when I apply for a job?...

Is my life over?
im 13 and i got charged for prank calling the secretary of my school at her home. i prank called her about 12 times over like 4 months, i never said anything threatening, and i got expelled from ...

What is it called when you are in high school and you want to move out of the house and live on your own?

Abortion=Murder?
Why is abortion not considered murder? Its still a living organism with a soul and its ok to kill them. And what time in the fetus' life is it considered alive and a human being?...

Terrorism and death penalty?
Why the hell are we not bringing back the death penalty for terrorists? If we start killing a few of them, at least it will bring some sort of justice.

I am all for internment of suspected ...

Why do people need a licence to have a dog but any one can have children?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links