Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Change name by common usage?
Find answers to your legal question.

Change name by common usage?

How exactly does changing name by common usage work?

If I choose not to change my actual legal name, but change my name through common usage law, can I put my new name onto my driver's license, resume, bank accounts, etc (anything except the birth certificate)?

How exactly can I change my name through common usage? What is the process behind it?

For your information, I live in Alberta,CAN
Thank you,

Lexie
Rating
Not sure how things are up there in Canada, these days, but here in the US everybody's so identification-happy that I wouldn't recommend trying to change one's name that way. It's still legal most places, so far as I know, but you would spend more time explaining and arguing with people than if would take to make the change through the legal process.

Maybe it's different up there, in which case, ignore what I just said and read the more helpful answers.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What support do animal rights organizations get from the public / the government?
Pls reply as soon as possible! I need it for HW!...

What would you do? NOT A REAL SCENARIO?
You are a counselor at a community corrections center in a large urban area. One day, your brother decides to visit you from out of town. You take him to a restaurant close to where you live and have ...

When you are an attorney, do you really need an editors?

What do you think? Death Penalty?
Do you think that people who are guilty of serious crimes against children should get the death penalty?

Should the man in this article got the death penalty for his crimes?

Do you guys know other scandals similar to the bernard madoff scandal?
Im suppose to do a project on frauds similar to the madoff fraud and not so much corporate scandals like enron or xerox.

So do you guys know other scandals similar to the bernard madoff ...

Can I take my kids out of state?
Their father is paying child support (300 a month for 4 kids...) and I have only been receiving it regularly since october of last year. I have been offered a job in Texas and right now I live in M...

IF I sign my organ donation card on my drivers licence,can I change my mind in future years and back out of it?

Additional Details
Just in case they do things and try to make it LOOK like an ...

Shoplifting in a store?
so im 15 and i was caught steeling 30 dollars worth of stuff and i wasn't arrested or anything but they told i have to go to court and pay a fine. can someone tell me how much is the fine and if ...

Can a manager say "I work above you, if you don't like it you know what to do"?
I had a meeting with my supervisor and business manager. While the other person was away, my supervisor said "I work above you, if you don't like it, you know what to do" this person ...

What is the process to expunge my record?
I just recently found out about this and I'm curious if I can do this without a lawyer. I received a gross misdemeanor in 1994 in NV. I've read you must wait 7 years, well it's been ...

What can I do about the bullying neighbors?
We've always tried to be good, rightful neighbors but every time we make one tiny little mistake (and I mean petty), our neighbors on both sides of our home, call the cops (in random). They ...

Is a class action law suit viable?
Can the people in New York who thought their lives were at risk bring forth a class action law suit for emotional distress against the White House for agreeing to the fly over of the backup Air Force ...

Why gamblig is considered ilegal?
and why is it considered inrmoral?...

Can the injured woman win the case?
I was running a For-Hire vehicle with a passenger in the back seat, another car ran over the stop sign and hit my back door. The damage wasn't too bad, the insurance company compensated me about ...

What is the form of statement that i need to get my recent employer to file out for the reason she cut my hour?
I recently started working at an child care center and yesterday i was on my break and the infants were crying a parent complianed and the director tried to put it all on me..so who do i contact to ...

DEATH PENALTY murders who have recieved it and murders who have walked to & killed again please help ASAP!?
I'm in a bit of a rut, I thought I had this information but I don't so if you know any cases that a murderer has been killed via the death penalty please give their name and I'll ...

Hate Crime --> how much jail time?
How much jail time would someone get for vandalising a synagogue or chuch and painting swasticas on the walls?...

Leaving the province after signing a sentence to appear.. please read.?
Last week I was caught stealing and had to sign a paper saying I'll stay away from the store i stole from, will show up for fingerprints & my court date and must stay in the province of O...

What do I need to do to become a prison warden in Texas?
What are all the requirements to become a prison warden in Texas? I am working towards a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and I want to know if this is going to help me or not!...

Is it legal to drop off a person who has OD'd at the hospital and leave?
My bf's ex is deeply involved in drugs and has just overdosed on a variety of drugs for the second time this month. Her friends are all stupid druggies as well and they are too high and scared ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links