Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Could anyone tell me how long you serve in prison if you get an eight year 3 month sentence?
Find answers to your legal question.

Could anyone tell me how long you serve in prison if you get an eight year 3 month sentence?

my ex got that for a very violent crime and just wanted to know if he will do most of that so i dont have to worry about him turning up at my door anytime soon

GAVIN E
Rating
At the worst case scenario, he will do at least half that. So I think you will be ok for at least 4 years.

evil g-bo
about 4 years if he behaves

John D
Rating
Half it, then take off any time in remand, as long as he behaves.

pip.wilkinson@talk21.com
Rating
he will only do half if he is well behaved ,the above answer is wrong in the uk u only do half

desert camel
normally,if he behaves himself, he will only serve 4 years....

salus
Rating
Sadly its very rare anyone does anything more than half their sentence.

Tony
Rating
Take the 8 years and 3 months and take off double the amount of time spent on remand in custody before sentence (if there was any).

Then divide the answer by 2 to give the likely time when he is eligible for parole.

The time between release and the rest of the sentence unserved is called the licence period - the commission of any offence during that time may lead to recall to prison to serve some or all of the rest of the sentence.

There are early release provisions, however, and you should bear in mind that you are now eligible for release as early as 270 days (9 months) before the half-way point in your sentence. These provisions came in last year.

The answer could therefore be as little as 3 and a half years, not including time spent on remand.

Not the answer you want to hear, I suspect, but perhaps best that you know.

(By the way, the two-thirds rule for sentences over 4 years was abolished in 2005)

ERICH M
Violent crime? I hope he stays in prison the full sentence.

Ansell A
Rating
Well it should be 8 yrs and 3 months but if he pleaded guilty then there is an automatic reduction and then with parole he will probably be out in about 4 yrs.

for our US cousins. The UK is not the US and sadly in this country our criminals get all sort of reductions in their sentences.
Another example of politicians not listening to the people.

dolly
Rating
well i don't know where in the world you are!! but in England as long as you behave you only serve half your sentence, if he gets into trouble inside, he will be in there for longer, also after a certain time they can appeal to go on parole, which means they will be out of prison, but will still be under certain rules and regular monitoring. if they breach the terms of their parole, they go staight back to prison. hope this helps

John 16
I am not expert but I would guess five years. They like to let them go early so they can keep them on a short leash. With parole always being threatened to be revoked the idea is that they will be good boys.

For a real answer you should contact the district attorney that prosecuted him. If he doesn't know, he can tell you whom to ask.

Katie
Rating
Hi, Unfortunately he will probably only do half or even less and get out in 4 years on good behaviour, Its stupid i dont know why they bother saying they will go down for 6 yrs etc when they never do more than half a sentence?? pointless, If your worried you can have a restraining order on him when he does get out so he cant (legally) go near you or your house, Hope your ok there is nothing worse than being scared like that, By the sounds of it he is a idiot and with any luck he might get into trouble whilst in jail and have to do his full sentence. Try not to worry, Katie.

Mr.Blank
Rating
4-6 years minus pre-trial custody at double or triple time.

abaabbaa2000
Rating
state time you have to do two thirds of your sentence so 15 years is10 federal time you have to do 80% of time so 15 years is12

RemembertheUtah
What part of "8 years, 3 months" do you not understand?

The only way he could get out in less time is if he behaves in prison and is given parole. To do that they have to have parole hearings. You need to get on the list of those to be informed of such hearings so you know when they take place. That way if he does get parole you will know about it.

Henry ツ
8 years and three months unless he behaves then they can get out earlier :S

carlyy ☮
uhh...eight year sentence means EIGHT YEARS IN PRISON....duh?

blackarrowimc
Rating
I want to help but in the question title you have put "eight year 3 month sentance". I'm not sure if you intended it but maybe change the question if you didn't mean to.
If you want to find out there will be websites online that will tell you, search on google, or if you really can't find the answer call the local council and ask (you might not want them to know your worried tho i dont know.)
Hope I helped

Jayzeey
Some of u people given answers that are 4 people in US in ENGLAND it's totally different than over there. It's harder over there u do much more time.

camboo
A friend received a 4.7 year sentance in a federal prison for insurance fraud in texas. How much time will need to be srved before she can get out. Any help about the federal prison system would help. Thank you:)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What are "bills"? (I am French)?
What are Bills in the field of law please?

Thank ...

Help needed, best answer gets 10 points.?
me and my gf are both 17 years old. i've got her pregnant and she does not want to get an abortion. she wants me to be with her and raise the kid. but i want to go to australia where my brother ...

Needing some help with this?
need to know how to file a motion in family court to have the Department of Social Services investigated?
Additional Details
ok but what is the Motion I have to file and where can I get ...

If you Plea Bargain to a crime you know that you commited is?
This consider a conviction by the State's Attorney's office?...

I was caught doing 110mph in a 70mph limit. What can I expect when this goes to Court?
I was caught on an A road with a speed limit of 70mph doing 110mph by a police motorcycle which was right behind me. What can I expect when this goes to Court ?
Additional Details
Uk I�...

What Alabama Judge was removed from the bench by the NAACP for not taking down the TEN COMMANDMENTS.?
Here is a little poem that he wrote: If you think he is right try to pass this on.

America the beautiful,
or so you used to be.

Legal Question: I was arrested for something I did not do...plz help me with my next steps in this situation..?
I went to the hospital. They done a small surgery on my ear. They released me same day with 3 prescriptions. One of them a narcotic. The RN that released me with the prescriptions said in front of me ...

Would this be illegal?
Ok so yesterday night me and my friends went to play football down the field. One of my mates said that if we wanted she could get her brother to buy her a bottle of WKD blue for us all for next time ...

Who is has the authority to take away my rights?
a long time ago,in third or fourth grade, i heard a story.does any one remember it? it was a great story.one of the first lines was something about LIFE, LIBERTY, & THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. if ...

What is the legal process of Emancipation of a Minor (Australia)?
And, does Emancipation Usually occur?...

Legalize cannabis or not?
this is a hot topic right now and i just want to know what the reasons are behind each side of the argument. so what do you think? yes or no and why?

XxXcricketXxX...

If a man is accused of raping a woman his name is made public even if he is proven to be not guilty?
the woman if she she made a false claim has her identity kept secret. If a man rapes a child his name is not revealed, Is this a double ...

What is the Statute of limitations for being sued on a Real Estate transaction in Indiana?
I am a Real Estate agent who sold a property in 2006. I have been served a summons on this matter....

Why is it illegal to quickly kill someone with a gun but legal to slowly kill them with your car exhaust?

Landlord broke my windsheld......?
my landlord was mad that loud music was playing from next door so angry that he busted me windshield. he later found out that the music was comin from nextdoor and not me......should i demand ...

Can you copyright unfinished parts of a multitrack sound recording?
A drummer who was fired from a band, registered just the drum tracks of 6 complete recordings with the us copyright office. Since these are not separate songs, but parts of complete sound recordings,...

Did I cancel by the deadline (university housing contract)?
I signed up for University housing last week. I later discovered a better place and decided to cancel the contract today. On the cancellation form it says,

"You can be released from ...

What do I have to have in order to prove myself in a small claims court?
I had a few things stolen such as money and an ipod at my school. First thing I did when I found out they were stolen was filed a police report throught the school. I caught the girl who stole them. I...

Questions about visiting in jail...?
Okay, my very close friend went to jail a couple weeks ago and is facing up to 10 years. Im heart broken and even a little mad that he could be so stupid. Im so scared for him and very upset. How can ...

People against gay marriage and/or abortion?
I need to use my words carefully this time, so people don't think I'm stereotyping everyone and oblivious.
If you are against gay marriage and/or abortion, why?
Enlighten me. I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links