Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Do your parents have the right to kick you out the house at 16 years old?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do your parents have the right to kick you out the house at 16 years old?

Additional Details
i'm just curious by the way, it isnt happening to me lol.

Byakuya
Rating
probably.. a better question is, why did they kick you out? were you making their lives miserable?

Tankyboy
In Scotland yes as you are legally an adult, don't know about the rest of the UK as the law there states you are an adult at 18.

Rating
Yep. You'll go into supported living.

Kimmeh =]
Well, yeah, they do. It's technically their house, and you're not really old enough to do anything for yourself - like buy a phone, rent out a place, etc.

Same thing happened to me, but I just stayed at a friend's house and kept going to school regularly. Her parents understood, so they didn't mind.

inneedofhelp
your parents have the right to kick you out when they see fit, before 16yrs they have to make sure you find a stable home and inform social services, at 16 you are legally able to get a house

taxed till i die,
Yes.

p h
If you are giving them grief - yes!

Bad Girl Gets Spanked
Rating
Too right so you better shape up matey lol

Rating
yes.

bazspur3
Rating
by law they can evict you on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour. if you have nowhere to go. contact SHELTER for information on hostels etc.

lawrenceba549
Your parents have the right to kick you out of the house, as it were, at any age. They would only be responsible for your continued financial support until you reach adulthood.

Carly
Rating
In the UK you can legally leave home with your parents' consent, so if they kick you out you have their consent.
Try to get it in writing so that you can take it to your local council and they can help you find somewhere.

Just Me.
Rating
Yes. Because your now legally of age. My parents wouldnt kick me out even if i was 20.

BPatFBCinOKLA
Rating
Yes, we kicked our son out for a night younger than 16. He slept in the car in the garage. Had a nice sleeping bag to stay warm. Not as comfortable as his own bed though.

cli168
Yes they can. All they have to is drive you to Nebraska. See the link:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/08/nebraska.safe.haven/

tonyinspain
Rating
YES IN SPAIN 18 before that a big fine
Behave yourself and maybe they will let you stay

teenage_armchair_honved_fan
yes but you can claim support from the government

zapper23
Yes..if your a looser and are disrupting the family...get lost pal.

David M
as long as inland revenue are informed so your parents benafits are stoped they can make you leave as long as a place of stay is given

like to know56
I wood pay the fine and make it worth it get out pal and get a life

cherry
yes if there are family problems but your council should be able to help you out for an hostel if it comes to it

|China|
Rating
I don't think they should unless of course you misbehave constantly and give them grief, but if that's their choice, yes they can

aires69uk OFFICIAL
Your parents had the right to kick you out of the house at any age - in theory you could've gone into care. But to answer your question to the point - yes your parents can kick you out of the house at the age of 16 years old. As you'd be old enough be employed, you'd legally be considered old enough to look after yourself.

Rommel
yes they do. if you act like an idiot then your parents have no legal obligation to sit and take the abuse.

Kit Fang
Yes. Your parents have financial responsibility for you until you are 16. This means they have to pay for you. They also have the responsibility for you welfare, so again, they have to make sure you are alright, and so kicking you out would go against that. However, once you are 16, they may kick you out if they wish.

Jake G
Yes, but you can get benifits for abandonment or child neglactlange. Will people please answer my question.

Daniel ツ
hmmmmm im not sure but i think they can or i think they can until your 18

edward iz awesome
i don't think they can legally but it costs alot of money to go legally....

Dazed and confused
Rating
i think it is not thinking straight to even address the question because a person in that position should be aware that in as little as two more years they can be told to leave the house and not come back; to make it on their own so that person should be concentrating on the real world as it is gonna be a cruel world for someone not prepared for it

Siver C
Rating
I don't think so. But they could have you declared incorrigible and that my friend would be very bad. So behave ... it's only for 2 more years

my avatar's hot!
Rating
Depends on the state, in the majority of states the age is 18, not 16.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you think it's ethical for parents to spank their kids?
California might be passing a law where parents won't be allowed to spank their kids. If a parent spanks their kids they will get a year in jail. This law hasn't been passed yet, but if it ...

Should guns be banned among citizens in order to stop violence?( excluding law enforcement, police, etc.)?

Should the death penalty should be illegal?
should death penalty should be illegal, why and why not.

details and good sources are great thanks....

Could i be sued for this?
I run a blog, and I plan on exposing the factories in my local community that contribute the most to global warming. as long as i am not defaming, etc. am I allowed to say that they are doing that ...

Do you think Marijuana should be legalized for Medicinal purposes and recreational purposes?
Whats the difference between an alcholic who drinks every day and a recreationsl smoker who smokes a joint every night? Why does Marijuana have such a bad rap sheet?...

To all of those against abortion..would you be happy when women are dying on the streets?
For the want of a safe, legal termination?
Additional Details
That's what I meant, they did die in the back alleys....

Is it illegal for my dad to beat me with a belt?
I am 13 and yesterday my dad beat me with a belt yesterday. He has hit me with it before but yesterday was different. He hit me repeatedly leaving marks and me screaming in pain. It was horrible, I ...

Is slavery still legal in the US?

Additional Details
It took 11 wrong answers before somone got it right! Don't ANY Americans actually read their Constitution any more? PRIVATE slavery was abolished by the 13th A...

Is my X violating his restraining order?
My X just bought a house and moved in less than 100 yards away. My restraining order states he can not come within 100 yards from me. Will the District Attorny measure property line to property ...

Should i report my neighbour for benefit fraud?
both are living in the same house but are getting paid single benifits and hes working with his mate on a handyman business the vans parked out side my drive everyday and has no road tax on ...

If there was NO LAW what percent of the population would take advantage of there being NO LAW?
NO JAIL time+NO bad reaction to anything you did wrong because there would be NO right or wrong?...

Is this inhumane?
Why not get all the rapists, murderers, child abusers, serial violent offenders and stick them all on an island together - they would have the oppurtunity to work the land to grow food - but they ...

What are you views on abortion?
And why?...

Should we get rid of both abortion and death penalty?
I was just thinking, if we are to value ALL life, shouldn't we get get rid of both the death penalty AND abortion, and not just one or the other?

Death sentence or prison?
which is more cost effective death penalty or prison? and why?...

What would happen if you lied about ur age at the doctors?
my friend wants to get pregnat but she is only 17 and i told her shes crazy and needs to wait, but she wants to go to a new doctor and lie and say she is 18, would she get in trouble? what kind of ...

If a school confiscates your phone 1 for the wrong reason, and loses it, aren't they entitled to pay for it?
My phone was off and it fell out my pocket, I picke dit up and put it back in my pocket, that's when a teacher walked in and saw it and took it. I then found out the next day that they lost it, ...

What is your opinion on lowering the drinking age to 18?
With all this talk about lowering the drinking age, I just wanted to know what everyone else thought about it. Please, don't hold anything back! There is no wrong opinion. I'll give my ...

Can we sue his boss for this letter?
my fiances boss included a "hurt feelings report" in his envelope with his paycheck. this report can be found here:
http://www.eatliver.com/
when i saw this i was ...

Hi, I was wondering what the American public thought about the general state of the nation at this point?
*Official Profile*...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links