Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Does my ex have legal rights to his belongings if he left it at my house when we broke up?
Find answers to your legal question.

Does my ex have legal rights to his belongings if he left it at my house when we broke up?

My boyfriend and I lived together for about a month and but he was caught cheating and I kicked him out. Now he wants his clothes that I bought for him but he left in my house. And he wants to call the police on me, does he havelegal rights to his personal clothes or belongings that he left in my house?

mcmufin
Property doesn't magically change hands just because someone moves out. It's his stuff. I could write you pages of legal reasons the stuff is the a**hole's. However, that's not the real rason you give him the stuff. Why do you want it? To hurt him? Keeping it will just remind you of how he cheated on you. So will every instance of dealing with him over this.

Avoid the fight, the inconvenience, the drama, and the emotional pain and move on with your life. Put everything that was his in a box (or boxes). Don't break anything. Call him and tell him it will be where and when he can pick it up. Leave it with a mutual friend before the ex arrives, and move on with your life.

JediMaster
Rating
Your best bet is to box up EVERY last thing that is his and give it to him.

Eric C
If they are HIS property - he has every right to get them.

Anne
More than likely yes, if it was a gift, if you want to be rid of him give them back.

Lavrenti Beria
yes, just give him his crap and be done with him.

Tbone
Of course he does. Don't be stupid. His possessions have nothing to do with your emotions.

Kayla
Yes you kicked him out before he could get his belongings and besides WWJD? It's the right thing to do.....

Crystal Blue Persuasion
He has legal and moral rights to his property. Give him his stuff and be done with him.

Dr.PhilwithBoobsDueInJune
Rating
Yes if you don't give them to you he can sue you in small claims for illegal eviction, you don't have to have a rental agreement with someone to illegally evict them. You must give the person 30 days to move. The clothes you bought were gifted to him so he legally is entitled to them. Sorry I wish I could tell you to give his clothes to goodwill to help someone else since he is morally bankrupt.

Brad V
Rating
Work it out with him amicably, if you really want him gone. He could make it rough for you, if you chose to keep his personal belongings. You may have paid for them, but then, that makes them gift items. The law says, they are his, so why fight it.

If you really want to be rid of this guy, give him his stuff and send him on his way. This is a small price to pay for getting rid of him.

He could take you to small claims court, and I believe the court would side with him, on the personal stuff.

Tbenn
Let him call the police, all they are going to do is show up with him and watch him take HIS stuff so that he doesnt throw a fit, and get violent, but thats if they come. I dunno if your local PD will want to do that if he has already "moved" out though.

MSAD
So you kicked him out (he did not leave by choice) and now you want to steal his personal property.

It does not sound like he abandoned his property, so yes, he has legal rights to his property.

I would send him a letter - certified mail- requesting that he come and pick his property up within 30 (of the date of the letter). Or you could move his property to a storage unit - pay 2 months worth of storage fees on it and send him a certified letter telling him where his property is - the code to get to it and that you have paid 2 months rent - after that it is his responsibility. This plan costs you some (the 2 months storage) but it gets you rid of him.

Although you are mad at him (and probably have every right to be) do not damage his property or he will be able sue you for the damage. So you can't burn it or throw it out in they yard to be rained on or stolen. However, you do not have to keep it indefinitely.

In the end - give him his property (even the clothes -gifts- you bought him) and be done with him. Continuing to hold his property hostage or threatening to damage it only keeps him in your life and prevents you from moving on.

Jase
Rating
Yes they are his. Just take the higher road and give him back his stuff since he wants to get them. That will save you more headaches instead of just fighting back and forth. Just give yourself time to heal and that does not mean be vengeful. Besides what goes around comes around and he might end up with someone that cheats on him.

katrina_0087
did u call him and tell him to get them? how long has it been? have u given him plenty of oppurtunties to get them, if nnot then yes he hass rights to HIS possessions

athlonxp81
Of course he does. Just give them back to him so you never have to see him again.

juniejuly
Rating
Yes. Throw them out on the lawn. Be nice.

The Weasel
Rating
Again grow up!! Maybe this ought to be a lesson to you not to move in with someone you obviously don't know. Try getting married first.

It's really immature that you want to keep his stuff. I would have dropped you like a dead weight long ago.

ruuk
It depends on the state you are in. In some states you are free to get rid of it as you choose, in others you cannot do anything with the belongings unless you do stuff like put ad's in the paper, and try to notify him for a few months, but in most of these states you can charge him a storage fee.

Don't make the mistake of just throwing it out unless you're pretty sure he isn't the suing type, unless you live in a state where 'abandoned' property can be disposed of without penalty.

Jackie B
Rating
Yes. He still owns the property but you can charge him storage if he doesnt collect them.

chuckler
he will be needing proof of purcahce to begin with credit card statements reciepts gaurentees and so on .....In the uk if you have been together for a period of time(which i think at the moment is set at two years then you are both intitled to split and share you assets surly you dont want to take the clothes of the mans back ???

all.you.need.is.love
yeh he does, if he bought them, but if you bought them then you don't have to give them to him...

Laura J
Rating
No he does not. Burn them.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If i see an item wrongly priced in a shop ie 50 pence instead of 50 pound, can i insist on the lower price?

Why is there more gun violence in the U.S. than the U.K.?

Drinking Age?
If someone can join the military and die for our country when they are 18, shouldnt they also be able to drink alcohol? Should the drinking age be lowered? Why? and what age?
Additional Details<...

Its illeagle to sale body parts but what about selling your body to a school of medicane before you die ?
why cant you sell your whole body, that way at least you can enjoy the money made from it instead of donating it. Not only does it help medical but echonomicle as well. Lets say I sell my body and I ...

I need 25+ people to answer this question please!!!?
Legalization of marijuana...should this happen or not? Why and Why not?...

Is this considered RACISM?
If your not an Eskimo, but you keep being refferd to as an Eskimo, even when the co-worker has been told to stop because it is not true at all, just because someone is from Alaska, does not ...

Should violent juvenile offenders over the age of 11 be sent to adult court? defend your answer?

Should I buy a gun for protection?
Me and a friend were robbed today at a bus stop we were in a bad neighborhood it was just us two girls he took our money and purses at knife point where can i buy a gun... or what should i carry on ...

Where can you report wal-mart for breaking movie laws?
because wal-mart is playing a movie their not suppose to. it comes out on the 3rd. I konw that it's like only five days away, but they are not suppose to be playing it or anything. they can get ...

Do American schools theach their students that Amazon forest belongs to United States? Why?
I'm Brazilian and I really wanna know something about it....

What would you do if your cell phone was stolen from lost and found?
me and my boyfried went to Las Vegas a few days ago and my boyfriend left his cell phone in a cab. So we called his phone and the driver picked up. He said he will take it to the office so we can ...

Capital punishment?
does anybody else agree that capital punishment should be bought back to the uk....

Why is not against the law to be racist?
There are all sorts of crazy and stupid laws:

1) You will be sent to jail if you injure an intruder or thief.
2) A murderer has a chance of getting away scot free in court
3) A ...

If you murdered someone while intoxicated beyond recognition...?
and you honestly didnt remeber a bit of it due to the drug or other substance... you took a lie detector test and passed..... would you have to plea insanity or what.. could you get away with this?...

Why are so many people for abortion, but against the death penalty?

Additional Details
if this helps I'm in no way pro-abortion, i am pro-death penalty in certain ...

Got caught shoplifting....what happens?
My boufriend got caught shoplifting a box of prilosec (less than $20). I know this wasn't right be we are going through a very tough financial time and he HAS to take them . Anyway he got ...

My son and his friend have been selling drugs at our door dope ?
I have found out and angry and told him they stop it or out, i am sick of his attitude, he says you took drugs when you were younger I did sometimes but that was 40 years ago at parties experimenting,...

Can you be charged with theft (shoplifting) if you havent left the shop?

Can your employer fire you, based on what is on my Myspace page?
My employer fired me based on a 2 year old pix I posted over a year ago on myspace. Does your employer have the right to dig that deep in your personal life?...

Would you kick someone in the nuts if they requested it?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links