Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

How can i stop people parking in our private car park?
Find answers to your legal question.

How can i stop people parking in our private car park?

We only have 5 spaces in work & it is clearly marked private parking only. The parking spaces are about 1 metre away from my window & people have the audacity to park right outside then walk out of the car park into the dentists next door!! I just glared at a woman doing this 2 minutes ago & she's giving me dirty looks!! There's plenty of spaces on the road but the trafic wardens go up & down. How can i stop people parking in private land? I previously posted notices on peoples windows, am i still allowed to do this? It's really getting to me!
Additional Details
I've put a sign on her window stating that it is private parking - just in case the dosy cow missed the big one at the car park entrance!
Now all the guys have gone out on messages & i'm scared in case she comes & says anything to me!

Rating
Have them towed away. This will stop it post haste.

dsgrieve
Call a tow truck and have them hauled away.

leeloo ‚ô•
Rating
Put up a sign saying the owner of the property will have cars towed by so-and-so company for this fine, and there will be no warning. It works at my workplace.

senorrobertoe
post a sign, then have their cars towed, I guarentee they'll never do it again.

junebug
Call a tow truck and have them towed.

ROBIN HOOD
Get a post put in that you need a key for to let it down

so nobody else can park there

ItsJustMe
Ask the building manager if they can start having the offenders towed away. That will stop it! Put up a big sign that says "Private parking - violators will be towed" and then follow through. It won't take long for them to get the message.

dadhichid
Rating
start charging their cars for parking

? BlueBerry ?
Rating
Have them towed away

moon_flower_unicorn_power
have them towed

Geaux LSU Tigers!!!
Have a sign that it is private property and any unauthorized cars will be towed.

Samantha S
Rating
Put a Violaters will be towed sign.

k²
Put up folding bollards to protect your parking space. Check with the local council on procedures for this, but as it is your own private space and is on your private land, it should be within your rights to protect it.

Mr Fawlty
buy a removable bollard hers is an example below.

http://www.safetybydesignshop.co.uk/removable-posts-207-c.asp

buro_abo
Rating
clamp them and charge £100 to release them - could be a major income stream by the sounds of it ! You retire and never have to bother about cramped parking spaces again!

Bardic
Rating
I think you're in the UK, so don't "call the tow truck". The simplest way is to block the entrance to your car park - traffic cones will do, or a chain with a padlock would be better. It means all your authorised parkers will need to get out with a key but it will certainly stop the hassle.

stef
Rating
Put up another notice that states that all illegally parked vehicles will be towed away. Another notice could display that the car park is for your company name and not the dentist name. Speak to the Dentist and ask them to display a message (prepared by yourself) somewhere clearly visible. Warn them that their patients vehicles will be subject to being towed away if they park in your spaces. It is not unreasonable. In the meantime a polite notice placed under the windscreen wiper of any vehicle not visiting your premises is a reasonable act. Please bear in mind that most of these people just do not know what they are doing they are not being bloody minded.

wayfaroutthere
Rating
Sounds like you are in the UK, so it may be different for you. In most places in the US, the owner of the parking lot can display a sign that reads 'Parking by Permit only -- Vehicles without a permit will be towed'. Then you (or the apartment owner) can make permits for the five people who are supposed to park there, and the next time someone else parks there, you can call and have them towed.

If you saw a woman who just parked there and all you did was stare at her, she just thought you were weird. If you want to tell her not to park there, tell her not to park there--don't assume she knows why you are giving her dirty looks.

If you have no such law allowing towing where you are, a little graffiti at the parking area may make people think twice about leaving their car in 'that neighborhood', but I wouldn't recommend it because then you'd be living in 'that neighborhood', even if it isn't as bad as you made it appear.

Northern Lad
Rating
Wait untill one of the tossers parks their car in your private car park and then block the exit with your cars.
When he/she asks if the cars can be moved, say:

Sorry the owners have gone for the week and we don`t have the car keys :-)

Or ring the local scrapyard to collect the car.

Or `Clamp` them.

airbob61@verizon.net
Rating
Have a sign made up stating that unauthorized vehicles parking in private spaces will be towed away at owner's expense and list the name and phone number of the local policing agency. This is the legal format required by most state vehicle laws. Tow away a vehicle or two and you will see a marked decrease in illegal parking.

matthew w
Park in there your self

Cheryl S
Rating
I would march right over to the dentist's office and explain to them that one of their clients is about to have their car towed. We had a similar problem until we put up the sign that says non-authorized vehicles towed at owner's expense.

Sexy is me b/c Shell is my name
Rating
Start getting there cars todd away.

Soup Dragon
Put up a large sign saying "Parking for .......only" Insert the firms name . Also state all unauthorised parking will be issued with a fine and state an amount. If this doesn't stop them call the Police and get them towed away. You are within your rights if it is private land. You could also close it off using a very heavy weightchain and large padlock. This way they'll find it impossible to remove their vehicle with the notices displayed. Also have a word with the dentist next door and tell him to make his parking allocation clear. Then there should be no misunderstanding.

Hope this helps I know the frustration this can cause. We have a small car park and people use it to go and do shopping. I stick very sticky notices on their side windows and believe me they are a real pain to remove but there are warning notices and if they wish to risk it - so be it.

skootch
Carry on with the posting of windscreen stickers but buy the type that are really difficult to remove, you know! the type you have to scrape off and tears into little pieces and really make you angry when you try to remove them.

millie
im a resident in a block of flats own by an association,have a problem with one house holder who justed parks /stores his cars on the parking space,association reluctant to say anything what can i do legally on my own.(protest with banner/go to newpapers???) need help really bad am OAP and taking this on on my own,will not give in to this bully

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What do you think of this--Dad threw 4 children off a bridge?
BAYOU LA BATRE, Ala. - A day after reporting his four young children were missing, a shrimp fisherman broke down and confessed that he threw them off an 80-foot-high bridge to their deaths, ...

I am going to court for fraud . . . advise, comments?
I'm going to court for ripping ebay customers off - about 8 for a total of £3000. I have no convictions but was charged with meal fraud 18 months ago. I told the police all of the truth and was 1...

Can a woman have her 18 year old child arrested for living with another family?
if so, on what grounds?
Additional Details
wow people its not my kid...im a kid myself...was to make an assumption...ugh...gross......

My daughter is being bullied at school what can I do ?
The school isn't doing anything, and my daughters grades have dropped, not to mention the effect this is having on her on a personal level. If I were to mentally and physically abuse an adult in ...

When you hear the word terrorism, what are the first words that come to your head?
Please be honest, this is an experiment that i am doing at school so i need the truth. Don't bother writing something if you don't truly mean it. Thanks.

(P.S. I hope everyone ...

Should convicted paedophiles be tagged with a tracking device?
In the light of a local community succeeding in the forced eviction of a convicted paedophile ( who will end up God knows where....) Do you think they should be permanently tagged?...

Pilot wishes passengers a "Merry Christmas". Should I sue?
While I was flying to reach home for the holidays, the pilot, over the intercom, wished the passengers "a Merry Christmas". Naturally, I have taken offence for this intolerable slight. S...

Would you buy cigarettes for those underage?
With the talk of the change in the legal age for buying cigarettes in England going from 16 to 18 would you buy cigarettes for a 16 year old who smokes and used to be legally able to buy their own. I ...

When, if ever, is Rape justified?
...in other words, are there situations when it's acceptable to rape a girl?...

How can you have this kind of view on abortion?
I hear people say that they wouldn't get an abortion, but think other people have the right to do it. What? It's like...

Let's say you assert you are against slavery, but ...

Will Saddams execution be taped? If available, would you watch it?
If Saddams execution was available for you to watch, would you?
what do you think about the death sentence?...

Why are stupid people allowed to have kids?
I can't remember who it was that said "If you're an idiot and you have kids, that counts as child abuse"

This question is mostly inspired by that Dilbert strip where D...

Do you care about all those politicians admitting to taking cannabis in their youth?
Personally, I think they were just doing what normal teenagers do, and that they don't do it anymore, and it's nice to see a bit of honesty in the houses of parliament... what about you?...

If a mother slaps her 16 year old daughters face is it classed as assault and can she be prosecuted?
if the event took place in the home of them both were the mother owned
Additional Details
i am living in the uk and there is no witnesses or ...

If I told you that you had won $5,000 would you send me $10 as a processing fee to claim your money?
By the way, you haven't won $5000 - I speak hypothetically....

I found a wallet today with over £800 in it my guilty consience is getting the better of me what do i do??
the only problem is i have spent alot of it in the sales and told people i won the money in a ...

I was supposed to be in court an hour ago for my jury trial. am i in trouble?
i lost track of time on Y!A! my attorney is being a royal pain in the @ss with his constant phone calls. should i act like i totally forgot? or should i send the judge a nice little note????...

Smokers rights?
smokers practically pay for the nhs but are treated like 2nd class citizons and are being refused treatment and now are being forced out of public places and in some areas its a CRIME to smoke on the ...

Is this legal or illegal?
like if a guy breaks in your house and shoots your brother and u happen to have a gun in your hand and u shoot that guy that just shot your brother. is that illigal or leagal?...

How do I get my underage nude photos back?
When I was 17 my 21 year old boyfriend took naked pictures of me. I never gave them to him, but they were at his house. After 7 years of dating, we broke up and I asked for the pictures back. He ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links