Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

How do i find out if my husband filed for divorce and if it was granted?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do i find out if my husband filed for divorce and if it was granted?

fairly smart
Rating
If he filed & you are the plaintiff, you will be getting a registered letter, or a visit from the sheriff soon. Then you will know. It usually only take a few days max to file.

Big R
Rating
When the messenger brings you papers and tells you that "you have been served" !

ThinkinDifferently
Rating
maybe you should ask him?....

Doc Holiday
Rating
The sheriff will deliver a summons to court to you. The you will have a court date and settle things there.

j swiss
Rating
I believe anyone can file for divorce, but you (or the other party) has to sign the decree

wizjp
Rating
Will be a public record in the county where he resided. Call the clerk there .

ris c
ask your lawyer - hes getting paid enough!

NONAME
Rating
u get served - you would know
you can check your newspaper also

cynbaad58
Rating
If your husband has filed for divorce you should've been served with papers. If this hasn't happened you should check with the courthouse to see what he's done. Check with the county hall of records to see if the divorce has been finalized.

Squeeky [Wind Maker]
Rating
I don't think it can be granted without you signing it too. I'm not sure though.

sledge h
You would have to go to the county in which you were married and ask to see the marriage records which is not always as easy as it sounds also marriage records are kept in local libraries as well but if he did file for a divorce then papers should be served to you unless you have recently moved and he doesn't know where you are. Good luck

Colonel Obvious AM
You have to sign it, he can't just divorce you unless you are dead or incapacitated physically or mentally.

Dianna D
Rating
Easiest way to find out is ask him of course. If you are not able or willing to contact him, search public records in the county in which he resides. It usually takes at least 2 weeks until this public info is listed online depending on what city you search.
1.He can get a divorice without you there.
2.People will not come looking for you to hand you proof.
3. You can most likely find out online - PUBLIC RECORDS search.

Lisa
You have to be personally served when you are sued for divorce. Then you have to file an answer. The judge can't just grant it unless you were served and defaulted on filing an answer. You would know.

If you are wondering if he filed but just hasn't got you served yet, call the courthouses in the counties where each of you currently are residing.

schurz04
You have to be served in order for a divorce decree to be issues. Generally these have to be served personally. They can file a petition without your knowledge, but no decree will be issued until you have been served and have a chance to respond. If the service was satified and you failed to respond, a default judgement can be entered. You need to check with the civil court where you live. Asking him is also a good idea. If you dont want to actually speak, then write a letter.

zach m
Rating
you find the women hes cheating on you with and ask her

peedeesuave
It depends on the state.
Many have websites to check public records,
hopefully your does.
Also some states used post filings in the newspapers.
I dont know if that is still done.

cindy m
first, was it an "non contested" divorce? meaning were there no items, children or property to be divided. have you already signed the divorce decree? you could probably check vital records or at the local county clerk office . they keep a copy of birth, death, marriage and i beleive divorce records as well. for a divorce to be finalized, it could take sometimes up to 6-12 months from the date it was filed. any chances of contacting your ex and see what he knows? good luck

Super PI
Everyone keeps saying that he can't get a divorce without you knowing. That is not true. It depends on what state you live in.

Your best best to knowing would be going to the courts where he lives or lived during the period you speculate he filed for divorce.

In the state of Virginia a person can get a divorce without the person ever finding out. This is completely legal. They call this divorce by publication.

Pick up a local newspaper go to the legal notices and you will see tons of publications.

If you ad details and what state you live in I could be more specific.

Cheers.

caroline
ive heard on the grapevine that my husbands female friend has took my id had it all photocopyed and on line inportugueese laws got use divorced over internet i think the portugueese will do a divorce just with my signature which she has all my personal details this is fun to her as she dislikes me and i have recently had a brakedown due to stress im desperate to find out if its true or just a way of making my mental state of mind worse please help

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What am i looking at if i am going 2 court for being an accomplace in a beer run.?
this kid did a beer run, and i was the driver.. we got stopped, and i am now being charged with transportation of alcohol as a minor, and accomplace 2 a robbery.... could i be looking at jail time ...

I have been getting some letter from some company telling me that,i have won some quantity of money,how to tru
i have got some letter from ""The Lottery of U.K telling me that,i have won some quantity of money(930.000.00$.
Your e-mail address has won yhe quantity below.This is a weekly P...

The Good Samaritan Question: What would YOU do if you saw a person being murdered on the street?
1. How would you feel?
2. What would you say?
3. What actions would you take in that very moment to try and stop it from happening, if any? (Not everyone is a Good Samaritan and sometimes ...

If you could vote for marijuana to be legalized, would you?
My opinion:
Marijuana is no worse than alcohol. A person who is high on marijuana many times seems to me more in touch with reality than someone who is intoxicated.
Marijauna has some ...

Against or with the death penalty...?
Obviously, a very controversial subject...& I sit on the fence for this one...
I believe, in most murder cases, it should be a life for a life, if you take away the life of an INNOCENT (not ...

What state are you living in now?

Do You Agree or Disagree With The US Supreme Court Split Decision Not To Impose Death Sentence on Child Rapist
http://wcbstv.com/nation
As a liberal I gree with not to impose death sentence, not even close.
Additional Details
Bob K. Enjoy the ...

Should gun owners be held liable for accidents involving children and firearms?
This is for my English **Final** paper. Let me know what you think, I'm looking for all opinions (opposing and agreeing), any websites...just let me know! The question is: Should gun owners be ...

Do you think we should bring back capital punishment for certain crimes?
If so, why?/If not, why not?
What are your views on this?
Additional Details
(In UK by the way)...

Should men be allowed to enroll in all girl colleges?
i thought the purpose of all girl colleges was to provide an education (private education) to girls without the stress factor of having men around?

personally im for public coed classes ...

Do you believe we should fix chronic welfare abusers?
You know, those who have one kid after another and feed off the government without lifting a finger to help themselves?...

If you could decide the punishment.......?
For the man who cut off the womens head down in georgia.....(That beautiful hiker girl). What would it be?
Additional Details
I bet if was your wife or your daughter this happened to ......

What determines what prison an offender is placed?
Apart from category or offence, how does geography decide where they end up. Can an a offender 'plan' their punitive destination?
Additional Details
I wish people would read ...

Do you think we will ever have Sharia law in the UK?

Serious head here. Can anyone advise.a friend rang with a problem and i am not sure what to tell her?
Windy day , gates fell off, private landlady, Friend rang to inform landlady about that and other faults, landlady told friend to get lost, stop bothering her or she will have thugs at her door to ...

Do you need a license to own a sword / bow in the US?
Forgive the silly question, but I am curious.
Additional Details
By the way, I am not planning on USING these items, I have some antique / decorative items, but they are still sharp!...

Anyone else fed up with the new 'trend' to sue for everything??
We have had a family that have tried to claim compensation from the department store that I work in (family owned business) because they didnt receive a refund for something that wasnt faulty - and ...

I've just seen Michael Moore's documentary Sicko and he painted a nice picture of British health care. Questn
are there any problems with socialized medicine? universal health care in Britain? thanks.
Additional Details
obviously, shawn is from America and has no experience with other health ...

Is this illegal?
ok is it illegal to be 16 with a 22 year old boyfriend in the state of alaska? i need someone who knows for a fact and has a reliable source for me to check out like a reference or some sort of proof ...

Since murder is against the law then why isnt abortion??
People say that to kill is different to murder.So you go to jail if you murder because when you murder you intentionally planned to kill someone.When you kill someone is like when your at war or it ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links