Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

How long can you go to jail for owing 800 hundred dollars child support?
Find answers to your legal question.

How long can you go to jail for owing 800 hundred dollars child support?

Additional Details
im in chicago

Steve
Rating
Generally that falls in contempt of court and will, in most jurisdictions, garnish you up to 30 days in jail. Then you get to get out and another opportunity to make it current. When you don't, then you are again in contempt of court and face more of the court's wrath.
You do NOT go to jail (in most jurisdictions) for not paying child support, you go to jail for not doing what the Judge ordered you to do (which is pay child support). I realize that sounds like a word game, but it is how the law generally works!

T H
In my jurisdiction in Texas you will go to jail until you pay the $800, the child support that accumulates while you are in jail, and all the court costs, etc. associated with putting you in jail.

My friends ex was put in jail over $1500 and was there for 6 months.

kentata
Rating
Laws vary from state to state, but the nationwide crackdown on "deadbeat dads" will ensure that you do some time when they catch up to you.

Best advice: pay the child support.

violetmax
Did you ever hear of "pay the child support", so your kid can have a nice life. You are a "real" dad, you are. Somebody to be proud of. Yes, Sir. Just worried about going to jail, are you? What about your baby's needs?

dane
Doesn't seem to me that It'd make sense to put someone in jail for not paying childsupport- I mean, if you had difficulties before, it'll be impossible while in jail!

noneofyourbizwax
Chances are slim you'de go to jail for that small amount.

Seeker?
Another Deadbeat Dad.
Get a job.

robug
depends on where you are

nite_raideress
You'll save a lot more money in the long run by just paying the child support you owe. If you haven't paid the $800 and it keeps accumulating, it will depend upon the judge that hears your case.
Regardless of how much jail time you do, you will still owe child support when you get out of jail.

miataman042
I don't think you will go to jail unless you continue to not pay. Be a man and take care of your bills! Don't be a deadbeat Dad.

dlmrgnk
Rating
twenty years if I were the judge

Kizz muh Sweet Cheekz
its more then that to even get someone put into jail...

ﺸÐïåMóñdÐôññåﺸ
Rating
a very very very long time.... only joking dude...
contact the courts... "oh yeah" dont tell them who are you....lol..
good luck dude..

notaclue
LIFE!!!!!!!!! DEADBEAT!!!!!!!! They're your children, don't you think you have a responsibility?? The taxpayers didn't force you to have them so why should we pay for your actions?
GET A JOB-TWO OR THREE IF NECESSARY AND PAY YOUR RIGHTFUL OBLIGATION TO YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next time use your brain atop your shoulders for thinking purposes!

Lil' Dog
You really need to simply pay it. If you have children, you MUST take the responsibility. You don't have to still be with their mother, but they are yours for life.

duoak
If you have been ordered to pay child support and you haven't, and the court has found you in contempt for not following the order, then you will stay in jail until you pay the money.

arkiemom
Rating
It depends on the state. If you owe the $800 why don't you just pay it? Not only does your child deserve your support - it would cost you much more in terms of lost wages, public embarrassment etc. to do the jail time. A lot of employers will fire you for that offense and it can keep you from getting jobs. Employers do not want to mess with having an employee's wages garnished and the paperwork required to do it and submit it to the court. Just own up to your responsibilities. This can follow you around for some time if you don't take care of it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What would you do if you found this?
If you found a wallet/purse no one sees you and inside is 200
with credit cards and driving licence.Would you keep or take to address on licence,if you keep it what would you do with cards and ...

What is your opinion on Legally owning a gun for your families protection?
I DON"T like guns, As a matter of fact I hate them! They kill people, But if someone breaks in your house and they are going to hurt your family, Then what would your opinion be about safetly ...

Rape of a child, do you think it deserves capital punishment?
such as the death penalty....

Does the bible allow us to lie?
that is if that lie does ot hurt ,kill or ingure ...

Why doesn't justice just execute psychopath killers?
What are they good for in this world anyway? --- All of us will die someday anyway, and meet our Maker, so why does society insist in keep those psychopaths in this world?...

How do someone change his religion?
if you're convinced that you want to change your religion, what steps and procedure should you take in order to do that?
thanks in advance....

Does the government gives us our rights?
Or do they only put a name or label on our rights. If the government didn't tell us what our rights were, would we know what are rights are? Could you also say that the moment you designate a ...

The Constitution was ratified over 200 years ago, how can it still be an effective governing document today?

Do you think you could kill?
In self defense?
To defend a beloved?
To defend an idea?
As a vengence?
For no reason what so ever?...

Do you think they should ban the N word?

Isn't outlawing gay marriage unconstitutional?
Isn't it? Because the Bill of Rights says " freedom of religion", and we're only outlawing gay marriage because of the United States's Christianity. So if someone wasn't ...

Can a condo ban smoking in your unit?

Should Marijuana be legal? Why or why not?
Medicinal? Recreational? Should it be used for anything?...

Do you believe in the death penalty?
I don't. I used to. But after my brother got put on there it cause me to investigate and when I did I found out so much that I never knew before. For one, it is NOT a deterrant. Thats been ...

What do you think about prisoners in Doncaster prison having to sleep in the toilet area. The thought of it?
really breaks me up. It is probably as good a deterrent as you can get to keep them out of ...

Kids a young a 14 given life sentences in adult jail?
I think it's sick 14/15/16 year olds are not adults and they can't reason like them. Imagen being locked up for your whole life when you are just 14/15. I think they are kids and should be ...

Why is it that are so many murders in the USA despite gun control laws?

Why do they not want one to smile while having an ID photo taken?
A friend who has worked for NASA and the Navy for 20+
years was informed he could not smile for his new badge id photo. He was told he would be fired if he smiled....

Isn't this picture of a naked high school girl buttock's on this website illegal...?
Someone mentioned it in another question, and it was a good point. If you go to the middle of this page, http://nospankingzone.or it shows a high school girl's bruised naked ...

Do you believe African Americans should be justified for affirmative actions?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links