Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

How much does it cost, on average, a state to hold one person in prison per year.?
Find answers to your legal question.

How much does it cost, on average, a state to hold one person in prison per year.?

How much, on average, does a prison inmate cost a state each year? not counting maximum security.

wtshimmin
Rating
On average it runs in the vicinity of $36,000. This for an inmate without any problems who is healthy. Currently however with the Federal Court mandates such as Coleman, Plata, Armstrong and so forth, the cost is going through the roof and there is NO FINANCIAL CAP!

Inmates receive far better medical care than the vast majority of those in the public. Can you be seen in 30 minutes or less when you get sick? They are. No, you have to make an appointment and hope you can get in within 3 days or less. You can thank the courts for this.

Doctors who work within the prison systems are for the most part a waste of money. They are extremely reluctant to make a determination on diagnosis and treatment of an inmate for fear of being sued. Inmates strive to litigate against the state. Consequently inmates are referred to external hospitals to pass off the liability.

It is not uncommon for an inmate to be transported via ambulance to an outside hospital for such simple things as, dislocated finger, trouble breathing caused by seasonal allergies, stomach ache, sutures, or even transported out to a hospital 3 hours away for a simple blood draw. All because medical staff will not do the job they were hired for because they fear being sued. And you the tax payer pay for it. Yet, do nothing to stop it! You just complain about how much the state is spending on the prison system.

Address the mental health program of the prison system; Mental health can escalate the cost of an inmate to over $250,000 per year, easily! Pharmaceutical companies and the psych community love this. It's job protection for them. The more inmates they can get on "hot med's" the greater justification they mutually have for existence and proliferation within the prison system. This imposes phenomenal cost against the state. Whats alarming about this, the primary goal of treating a mental health inmate Is Not to find a cure for his/her mental illness, but to stabilize them for the purpose of behavioral management.

Seriously, if you were incarcerated, do you think you might endure a little mental stress? Do you think you might be just a little pissed off, experience depression now and then? If so, you qualify to be one of the $250,000 recipients in expenditure.

Let's face it. The average inmate has mental issues and problems to begin with. Be it they shot their body out from slamming dope -- ruining their internal organs, or induced Schizoid affective disorders from it. Then you have the inmates who grew up with sociological adjustment/behavior disorders...your typical sociopath, rapist and so on. They are what they are and neither you or I can change them. They're a money pit of never ending cost. A burden on society.

flika
Rating
The average costs annually are approximately $20,000, (low end.) Figures of course vary state to state, as well as, state versus federal.

Here is an example and breakdowns.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/statsbrief/cost.html

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can a married man and a unmarried woman legally purchase a timeshare together in the State of Minnesota?

Is my friends bankruptcy lawyer negligent?
She hired this lawyer for her Chapter 7 bankruptcy. He had asked and was given all the information on a previous Chapter 13 bankruptcy that she filed after her divorce. She went to the meeting of ...

Can i sue my sister for being a pain in the butt?
i hate my sister and i would like to take her to court for being an awful sister. i don't want money or anything, i just want revenge. any thoughts?...

How do you go about showing to the P.O. that you have sufficient financial problem and cant pay probation?
especially if you are currently jobless and cant find work and hardly enough money to take care of yourself.

what are the usual requirements?

btw, which area are you in ...

Do I have right of first sale?
I bought an airsoft gun (a bb gun that looks like a real military gun) from an American company based in CA, that is manufactured by the Chinese company JG and molded after an MP5. The real steel MP5...

Can someone please give me some reasons why is health care in canada is better than in the U.S?

Question about appeals - for a novel?
Hi,

I'm researching a novel, and I have a character who was convicted of second degree murder (the book is set in Hawaii) - could his son pay for an attorney to investigate and file ...

Do you have to have a license to groom dos in florida?

How do I pay postage due when I receive a package?
I received a package that was supposed to get here in 2 days about a week later and it said "postage due." The package was also open but nothing was missing. How do I pay for it (it's ...

Unemployment is saying i don't qualify why?
I filled for the fed extension here in Ohio. I had used all my initial benefits and had not received payment since may 2008. However since the i have worked two jobs I was fired from one due to ...

Is time card fraud Illegal?
Is it a crime or just against good buisness practices?...

Is it illegal for a teacher to communicate with a parent who does not have custody of a child?
I have a student whose parents are apparently divorced--I didn't know this. Both parents emails are listed in the contact information. One parent wrote me asking for an update on how the ...

How do you file a complaint against the po po.?
without going to the police ...

What is a comparitor in terms of the DDA?
I am helping a disabled friend who has a disability discrimination case at an employment tribunal, the advocate for the respondents keeps pressing for a comparator. My friend the claimant holds that ...

What do you think of the goverments plan to tackle alcoholics on benefits by cutting them if they fail to get?
help , is this right or total ignorance of the disease alcoholism? Is it ironic from a goverment who has done little to head the warnings from experts over the years ? do we as a society need to look ...

How come sites that re-sell produced script of tv shows are not breaking the law?
Copyright I...

I filed a complaint with the BBB and they showed my boss the papers...?
my boss then fired me because of it because the business i put a legitimate complaint towards is a client...they even showed him the papers they got from the BBB...they want me to drop it and have ...

Where can I find out what I need to practice certain types of law?
Immigration in particular ?...

Are all website "terms of use" a binding contract?
I was told I am not able to register for a site because I am underage and cannot form a binding contract. I am puzzled because I have agreed to "terms of use" before on other websites and ...

It has been 8 months since this person had owed me for losing my gps and laptop. Can i sue ?
I need my gps and laptop...if not I want money.
What should I do?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links