Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

How much does it cost to keep someone in prison?
Find answers to your legal question.

How much does it cost to keep someone in prison?

Just wondering if it would not be better to give more fines and community service instead. I am just waiting for sentencing and have lost my job because of it and now it will cost more if I'm in prison when they could make money if they gave me a fine and made me work it off.

Meister
Averages 35,000 per year or so.
It is pretty dumb, that they don't do more like you say.

Stinkbug B
Rating
They say 20-30,000 dollars a year, I could do it for a fraction of that. Remember they get free Health Care in Prison

ThomasTreekin
Rating
depends on the state but it could be up to $68,000 a year.

SubVana
Rating
too much!

stockoslayer
$36,000 a year. I found it stated somewhere in the New York Times.

meshack
Rating
I think that it is around $40,000. I think that it is around $1,000,000 to keep someone on death row.

ryan d
Rating
a lot more than it's worth, in many cases. then again, i guess it costs less than it's worth, when it comes to certain guys.

lazy student
Rating
30k avergae

over 50k if ur special

MonkeysPaw
depends on the prison here in arizona we have tent city in which they all live outside. They make theyre own food etc.

MeanMax61
why the fines noone pays them and community service what a joke

hose_b
In most states, it's about 35-40K per year.

In Maricopa County, AZ though it is considerably less.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_sheriff_joe_arpaio.htm

GO SHERIFF JOE!

Doogie
Most (58.5%) of the daily cost to incarcerate an inmate in a major prison is spent on security, followed by 21.8% for medical services. The remaining 20% is spent on feeding, clothing and educating inmates, and some administrative issues.

Cost of Imprisonment:
$52.06 Per Day/ $19,002 Per Year

Scotty Doesnt Know
In 2004, it was slightly more than $63 per day.

Supervision without incarceration is a much less costly alternative if the court a) doesn't think you're a threat to society or yourself; and b) isn't required to sentence you to prison by federal or state statute.

the man the myth the answerer
Rating
I actually think it cost more to put people in jail but they believe you will learn a better lesson by being placed in jail rather then doing community serivice and paying a fine

MIGHTY MINNIE
It costs a LOT LESS than they bill the state for...I supported a family, had a boat, two cars, two motorcycles, a house and paid all my bills on less than 34,000 a year! Now tell me it costs 35 to 40 thou. a year to house an inmate!

jay
Rating
too much...shoot em all!! haha (only joking)

teddy
Rating
Depends surely what your crime was?

Gerry Atrix
Much more than a disability pension.

Arunza
Rating
30 thousand a year

2296 buks a month
574 buks a week
82 buks a day
3 buks a hour

you are prity right man . but its not all about money they dont want you to do the same crim again so they punish .

ask them what if you just give them 82 buks a day and not go at all lol

AlchikZ
Rating
Send them to Saudi Arabia! They'll know how to properly handle them (No cable tv, that's for sure!)

cdall1977
For none violent offenders I agree.... None violent offenders shouldn't chew up jail space when they could be out in society working and helping. On the other hand, violent people should be dealt with harshly, very harshly. A rope is cheaper than jail space no matter what nation your walking around in.

Master Yoda
Rating
The average cost is about 16,000 dollars per year adjust for inflation.

MARIE
you shouldn't of broken the law... did you kill someone?

ξήĢŁĭŞĦ ŗǾşξ ©® ღஐღ
Rating
too much .. bring back capital punishment ..empty the prisons

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My boss and employee are having an affair?
how do you cope when your boss and an employee are having an ...

Should I Prosecute My mom for Identity Theft?
My mother has committed identity fraud against me about 6 times now, knowing that I am still young, trying to graduate from college, and barely make any money. Yesterday I found out for the 6th time. ...

Can I sue the makers of Lynx deodorant? I sprayed copious amounts of Lynx Africa all over my person and I?
proceeded to the shop where a rather delectable young lady works behind the counter, thinking the Lynx effect would hold me in good stead I approached the said girl and started to dance with her, ...

Can my Condo neighbor sue me for the fire dept. breaking down his door?
There was a smell of gas in the building. The fire Dept. was called. They were able to check everyone's home except for my neighbor because he rents it and he wasn't there.
They broke ...

Is this legal for me to do?
The last 2 years on New years eve some drunk driver has hit our Christmas decorations a hit and run. Now i set up a camera that records to my computer but u have another idea to set up a home made ...

Can you list atleast 5 rights we have AT school.?

Can law enforcement do this...?
I was wondering, if the police thought you were a suspect to a crime can they read your past text messages even though you've deleted them from your phone?...

Banning smoking? Why not ban obesity?
It's just as dangerous as smoking, If not worse. I am just as offended by their gluttony as they are of my cigarette smoke.
Additional Details
You're sitting by me while I ...

I got caught stealing a $38 dollar jacket by the police HELP!!!!!!!!! Misdemeanor or felony??
What will happen to me now??
They have me on tape and like i said i pretty much told them i was intent on stealing the jacket when i walked into the store ( I ripped the CAUTION INK thing off ...

Do you believe that the drinking age should be 18 in the US as it is in most countries in most Europe?

Additional Details
Just so you know I am currently a 16 year old who drinks responsibly and found that starting education of alchol and casual drinking at a young age is more effective ...

When are people going to stand up and say enough is enough?
the law in this country stinks its not law its tax collection the driver pays all the time for gods sake people stand up for yourselfs its our country not the goverments or the police they are there ...

How do you feel about separation of church and state?
Personally I support it because if you look to the middle east you can see that theocracies do not work and are riddled with sectarian violence.

Please, no rambling about how it's not ...

During a job interview today I was asked if I have or want children, is it legal?
One of the questions from the interviewer was 'how old are you? Do you have children? Do you plan to have?'

Is this legal? If not, what should I do?
It sounds so unfair, I ...

Does capital punishment actually work?
or is it revenge not ...

My cow called me an attorney?
Can I sue for slander?...

Can you tell me why these people are asking me to receive money for free from over seas. Is it a scam?
St. Vincent de Paul,
Ozaman House, 11 celestial Avenue,
Agidingbi, Lagos.

Dear Beloved in Christ,

It is a privileged to here from God and it gives me joy to relate ...

The smoking ban is unworkable?
What do you think? Do you think choice can be taken away so easily?

Should a more moderate legislation have been brought in?

Is this the result of a governmant that panders to ...

Hai suppose God comes before you and grants you 3 wishes-?
-what would you ask for?...

Im thinking of committing a crime.....any ideas?
i dont think i could bring myself to murder someone but i could probably handle pushing someone over or stealing an animal or two.

Anyone got any other suggestions? ....dont worry i'...

Can a school legally with hold a students cell phone?
When you get your cell phone taken up at my high school, your parents have to come and get it for you. Now that I am 18, can they legally keep me from claiming my property? (not that age has ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links