Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

How should people be punished for their crimes?
Find answers to your legal question.

How should people be punished for their crimes?

Do you think people are punished fairly? Does the punishments fit the crime?

♥Ennael♥
Rating
murder: death sentence (if u have iron clad proof)
rape: life in prison
crimes against children: life in prison/ death (depends on severity of crime)
possession of narcotics: few months in prison
theft: depends on what you stole and how much (hard to say)

thats what i think.

Lily
Rating
In Australia you get more years in Jail for stealing a car compared to murder.

Hmmm so my answer is NO people are not punished fairly.

I think Rapists and Pedophiles should get life in prison!

free
For some crimes which do not harm other people directly people should be reprimanded. like stealing food made to do community work. But for seroius crimes like rape or murder. They should be punished severley. Like hanged so other criminals learn a leason

Mr. US of A, Baby!
Rating
People should be punished in kind. Exactly as they have done to others, it should be done to them. Unfortunately, most criminals are not punished, nor judged fairly.

Maimee
eye for an eye

michael k
Rating
Make the punishment fit the crime,what a criminal does,should be done to him.What really pi**es me off is parole,They should be made to do every minute of the sentence,& if they mess about in jail, the should have time added on.People who are an obvious danger to the public should never be freed.How can a system which locks up old ladies who cannot afford to pay their council tax,yet lets convicted murderers out of jail, be fair?

globallypuzzled
The means by which New York humiliated Boy George seemed pretty damned effective to me. He is not going to be wasting police time again in a hurry!

?
Rating
Cut off whichever body part they used in the crime and they won't be able to do it again. Murder: hands/ legs etc. Robbery: One hand maybe. Rape: Well you get my point.

sticky fingers
Rating
bring back capital punishment .

Tami T
the Bible does say an eye for an eye so why shouldn't they have done to them what they did to some one else? What about the mentally handicap girl in Colorado that got molested,her attacker got next to nothing & the school said it was an enjoyable experience,Come on people wake up! She didn't have a clue what wasd happening to her someone ever does that to one of my girls or my grandkids they better give their heart to God cause their butt belong to me.That's how I feel

TrainerMan
Unfortunately, I am a Christian, and Jesus said, "turn the other cheek" after disavowing the Old Testament "an eye for an eye." It's amazing to me how many Christians are selective in this. I think people should be locked up forever if they are a threat to society, but if we do to them what they've done to others, then we, as a society, are just as bad as they are. Also, with so many death penalty cases coming to light where the captive was later found innocent, but has already been executed, that means that we as a society committed murder. Should then, we ALL be punished the same way? That's the death penalty paradox.

W0LF
Rating
I think the punishment should fit the crime. I'm not suggesting you should have someone rape a rapist or kill a killer, that's just a mess but I think criminals should have to spend their incarceration contributing to a cause that prevents their crime and they should be employed to make a financial or labor contribution to society. Criminals should all recieve therapy as if they were asylum inmates.

Veritas
Rating
I think that in Britain, they are trying to dis-invent the concept of crime altogether. The philosophy seems to be, that it is everybody else's fault, and not the criminals. The scales of justice should balance, the punishment to fit the crime. There is far too much emphasis on rehabilitation and not punishment. In fact, I don't think that rehabilitation should enter the equation at all, that is down to the criminal. Once you take responsibility for rehabilitation away from the criminal, and he re-offends, he will blame you for failing to rehabilitate him.

Peter T
Let the truth be known, courts are not fair, not everybody who plieds guilty is guilty.
I was told that with my ex's lies i would not win my case with her daughter backing her story, 2 against 1.
So how good is the law, i pleaded guilty to get i lesser sentance.
This is all wrong, i was not allowed to show that she lies(could prove) but only to work from the split second event that she discribed, than backed that up with more lies that could be proved.
The law of this country was not interested, just a quick conviction.
Guilty or not !!!!!

idfg
Ohh! This is a tough question!! I would think that the old rule of 'an eye for an eye' needs to be implemented. But it does have its disadvantages. Hmmph! I will have to think this one through!!

earthangel_ghost
It should depend on the crime. British justice is unfair. It seems if you speed and don't pay your fine you can be locked up for 5 years. But if you murder someone in cold blood and there is a clear movie of you doing it, you were seen doing it have the weapon with finger prints over it and no doubt you did. You get a 1 year suspended sentence.
I think execution is not a punushment due to errors in justice. It is no where fair but in this day and age it's not easy to keep up with the new crimes and some crimes seem to be getting so nasty that the current laws aren't good enough. For example the Bulger killers and they get a new life for their crimes. I hope the Sun find out who they are and let us all know.

WomanWhoReads
I'm not sure that punishment is really the point? That's like looking for revenge, and by the time a case gets heard, people have had a year or so to wait & think it over.

Isn't the whole point to make sure it doesn't happen again to others? You can't change what's happened & they can't change what's happened. I don't care if you wax their legs & pull out their teeth, or dip them in boiling oil, what's done is done and you can't either wipe the victim's memory, and it wouldn't be right to try to.

If you think they'll do it again, then prove they did it and how, find out why they did it, so you can all learn how such a person is made. If they didn't understand other people's pain, kill them outright in six months from now. Forget what's not real to them. Stop preventing suicides in prisons, if they did what they did, and know it, make very sure of them and let them get on with it.

It's cheap to distract yourself with the mission of making the perpetrator suffer. You entertain yourself, but it makes no difference to their victim, it denies their reality. The whole system is about not acting in anger.

And you have to prove that the person you have there is the real perpetrator. I don't care if they had their reasons - if they kill or rape children, they should die. You can't afford to have them around.

But it's not about a lynching, or to see them suffer, is it? It's to make sure they are incarcerated for long enough, for a bad enough crime, that they will never be able to have any children, to repeat what they did. In case it was a genetic thing. That's why they lock people up for their childbearing years. That's where it comes from.

So who cares? If you all agree that you have the right person who did it, and you know that they weren't operating under duress, and you can't cure them, sure, I think, if it's bad enough, kill them. If they have killed twice, for example, and you can prove it in a court of law, kill them. It's not good enough or safe to have them prowling around preying on people who pay for their jailing.

If you don't have enough jails, well, build them, and if you all can't afford to build more, ask yourselves if all the energetic people locked up are not missed?

But ask yourself also if your parking fine was filed under Murder 1, would you go along with that for society's good?

Simon D
People shouldn't be punished for their crimes.
Punishment does not deter crime. All who believe it does are wrong. Someone criminals are kept secure either because they are a danger to society, or society is a danger to them.
Incarceration is a method of crime prevention that all agree doesn't work, yet presently is the only method at our disposal.

Perry N
I think that people should be punished by lashings. depending on how severe the crime is, they shoud get like 30 lashes for example.

ged
how about for less serious crimes people get put in stocks like the olden days with the money raised from the rotting fruit thrown at them given to charity anybody who does harm to children or the eldery should be put to sleep other crimes the victims should have a say in the punishnent

Sally J
Rating
Whilst the punishments might not fit the crime, I feel this is something we need to look at in this country, very seriously.

Our prisons are overflowing. It is not always the right thing to do to keep locking people up. Whilst they have committed a crime, just locking them up for a few months does not make them become reformed people.

Whilst I still think they should be locked up, they should have the opportunity to learn to become good citizens - through training and education. And they should be able to PROVE that they are going to be able to go out into the world and function as law abiding people.

Many of these people have no respect for themselves or others. They have little (if any) education and no skills. They need to learn respect - for themselves and others.

Prison should not be seen as a soft option but an opportunity to make these criminals become decent people. They should not get to watch SKY TV, have relationships, have access to drink and drugs - any privileges should be earned whilst they are there. We are too soft in the UK and we are breeding a disaster for the future.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can sue ex for publishing personal naughty pics?
can u sue an ex bf for pasting naughty pics he took with u on the internet?

what's the cause of action / what would u be suing him for, if there wasnt any threatening involved (ie ...

Is it illegal to payoff rear-ended driver without police or insurance involvement?
I witnessed a rear-end collision and money transaction on the freeway. The guy who was rear-ended sustained little to no damage, while the driver who did the rear-ending, his car is smashed really ...

Why can't Miss California be entitled to her own opinion?
So what; she doesn't believe in gay marriage. That means she can't win. I thought America was a free country. But it's apparent that you must say, and think whatever is PC or your ...

Say if you got a girl pregnant...?
and she was going to abort the baby. Do you think it would be justifiable (I know it would be illegal) for the father to kidnap the mother and keep her until she is to heavily pregnant to have an ...

In the state of Michigan, can creditors legally harass you? I mean daily, and sometimes up to 4 times a day.?
EXAMPLE:
Doctors office, Phone Company, Gas company, credit card ...

Can he stop our daughter from going on holiday?
I have booked a two weeks holiday to florida for me and my family, but my estranged husband is saying he will not allow our daughter to leave the country. Can he do this according to English Law?
<...

What do you think of the suggestions that we should bring back the death penalty in this country?
First I think it's really silly and secondly I think it would make a mockery of our justice system. Also what does it say about some people's state of mind if they are willing to actually ...

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Police officers tell me that it's a privilege, NOT a right to have a place to live....

How come cigarettes and alcohol are not considered illegal drugs?
The 2 are just as addicting as cocaine and meth and can kill you as well. So how come they are not illegal so why do they continue to sell them?...

What the hell were Octomom's doctors thinking?
Can they be brought before the ethics board for implanting so many embryos in a mentally unstable single woman on welfare who already had 6 kids?...

Should I call the Police on my neighbor for growing a pot plant in his back yard?
He says he has a medical permission. But he has sure got a lot of new "friends" stopping by and leaving since that plant has been back their. What should I do?...

What would I do when neighbor never returns tools ?
I need a tool, then I remember, I loaned it to my neighbor, but he never returned it. I have asked him to return it several times, what do I do now ?...

Why do they kill race horses after they break a leg?
Shouldn't we kill our athletes who break their leg too, figuring sometimes they won't be 100% anymore? Why is it ok to just dispose of an animal in this fashion, is it because you can no ...

Is it true that English wil one day be phased out as an international form of communicating?

Explain to me how you can be Christian and a Bush Republican?
I would seriously like to know how those who describe themselves as Christian can support Bush.

- Even Bush now admits there was never any 9/11-Iraq connection or any WMDs. Isn't war ...

TV LICENCE, I don't have one, can they get a police caution and search my flat?
I had a letter from the tv licence people saying they will be sending people out to check if I have a tv on the premises. If I do they will fine me £1000. Can they get a police caution and search ...

I was evicted for rent arrears, i have two kids but no one will rehouse us in any borough! do i have any right

Additional Details
the rent arrears wernt intentional, i am a single working parent and was willing to pay them off,...

Do you think car insurance should be mandatory in all of the United States?
I live in Wisconsin. Car insurance is not required for cars trucks and anything else on the road. I think this is wrong with medical and car repair bills being so expensive these days. Worst part ...

If you could introduce a new law...?
...what would it be and what punishment would you assign?...

Why do most of the people who support abortion oppose the killing of whales, the cutting down of trees, the?
culling of seals, the killing of terrorists and the death penalty being imposed on convicted murderers?

This is total hypocrisy in my opinion as what is being said in effect that the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 3, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links