Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

I stole from walmart, got caught, what happens?
Find answers to your legal question.

I stole from walmart, got caught, what happens?

so yeah i was dumb. stole from walmart, and got caught, i only took an item worth 10 dollars. and they took me to the back room and just put my description in the computer, no cops were involved since it was my first offense. and im 18 so they just said in 4 weeks ill get a letter in the mail saying ill pay a fine for up to 200 dollars. and let me go. were they just scaring me? or is a letter really coming? and also does it really take 4 weeks? and they didnt say anything about court, just paying a fine.
Additional Details
yes i was already out of the store with my friends when the guard came running out and told me to come back inside. but they didnt take my picture. but they said i will have to pay the 10 dollars plus the 200 fine when it comes in the mail. i dont know if they are just trying to scare/warn me or if its really coming.

bluexeti23
Did you get anything?

Benjamin W
Rating
Without a police charge they can't just collect 200 from you. Hell, they can't even get the 10 from you. Walmart isn't the law.

To get any money they would have to sue you. It's not worth doing so, so they won't. Furthermore, since no police were involved, they can't just ask some judge to issue a ticket. A cop has to do that.

I wouldn't worry at all.

Don't steal. Unless you can get away with it. Next time, don't go back in.

City of Placebo
Sounds like ole walmart put a fast one on you.

John D
Rating
If I were you i wouldn't be surprised if you got that letter. I know that if you get caught shoplifting you get a big fine and it gos on your record. But on the other hand walmart is a huge corporation and what you attempted to steal was very little. They might not even bother prosecuting you because it would just end up costing them time and money so the whole process could have been to scare you. So if your lucky nothing will happen, but they will still have you on record so don't steal from a walmart again. And by the way, you should of stuffed whatever it was in your crotch, they usually don't have the guts to stop you if they see a bulge in that area.

newton
i used to work for walmart they dont make it a legal issue unless its a higher amount usually 25 - 100 dollars depending on your store, at mine we didnt involve physical security unless it was more then 25 dollars.
if they were talking about a letter its probably a corporation letter asking you to confine to some bs store rule, i would talk to a lawyer or dont respond

Margaux
Rating
don't pay it...if no cops were involved they can't charge you with crap. theres no evidence of the crime. also ive heard walmart doesnt prosecute for items less than 25 dollars. seriously, just ignore it.

Rimshot
CANADA This happened to my daughter when she was 17. the police were involved but the store (Not walmart) didn't press criminal charges.
I received a letter from the store's lawyer a couple of weeks later saying they wanted me to give them a couple of hundred dollars (for security and theft,) My stand was they pay the security to do their job- whether or not they catch somone, and nothing was stolen b/c they recovered everything when they caught her. The letter stated they could take me to court and get four times the amount in a judgment ruling in their favor... but they'd have to win that by proving that I should have been in control of my child (bearing in mind she is 17!).
I tossed the letter in the garbage, and never heard from them again.
The police did inform me that she was not welcome in that store for a year, and she stayed away- from embarrassment.
I wouldn't give the fu@kers a dime... walmart is shameful... I wouldn't even steal from them!

Donna D
Rating
I am thinking that you should just take it as a warning. DON"T DO IT AGAIN!!
Were you already out if the store when they caught you?
But than again it is up to the store as to wheather or not they want to press charges against you.
If they were going to arrest you the police would have been called. They have to call the police,
I am hoping for your sake that you have learned your lesson.

joker9122
Bleh i stole from wal-mart once. It wasn't so bad for me either. They let me go on a $50 fine and it was all good. Im guessing you'll have to pay the fine but it probably wont get legal or anything and i stole under $20 worth of stuff so i doubt you'll have to pay more than $50

jessi
lol that is funny, it shouldnt be tho, stealing is wrong but, gosh this day in time? Walmart and other places are going to be seeing SO much more theft, people can't afford things,.. not saying it was right.. but yeah u will have to pay a fine, they arent going to bother spending the time and money to take u to court over TEN DOLLARS! lol.. just dont do it again ok?? You should be able to make a payment plan on the fine as well..

it would take all night for me to tell you how many people I've known who've got caught stealing from walmart, a friend of mine stole a bra, she was under 18,her parents had to pick her up, but like the first person said, if its under 25 dollars they arent going to mess with me, so many people get caught stealing they cant press charges on everyone.. they could but THEY WONT

runrunrun
help me a family member of mine stole 100 dallors worth what should me do

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Are sop's (standard operating procedures legally required for fire dept. in michigan?
our fire dept does not have any sop's and i want to know if we are legally bound to have ...

Is this wrong for a lawyer?
if a lawyer tell you to pled guilty because it will be easier to deffend you is that wrong?...

Opinions on gay marriage?
Ok today I asked my friends of they support a gay persons right to marry or if they are against it and only 1 out of 10 supported them. So I was wondering, why do so many people oppose gay marriage? ...

Can a criminal history decide what kind of visitation rights a non custodial parent will have?
PLEASE ANYONE WITH A RELATED SITUATION ANY IMPUT WILL RELIEVE THE STRESS!!! So I will be giving birth to my 1st child in a few weeks. The father has not been in the picture and he recently received ...

My FMLA is going to end and my employer won't let me come back to my FT position part-time. What can I do?

What's the concept of recidivism.?

What to do next when intestate?
Does a person have to have a lawyer when their parent has passed away without a Will and they need a legal probate done ?

The dad passed away .. he had a wife .. and 3 kids by another ...

I need to find an address for alaska house of corrections?
MY uncle is incarserated, hes been there for a long time id like to write to him but I dont know the adress or phone nember can anyone find it for me, I have no family and live across the country, I ...

Why was the NHS and Community Care Act 1990 put in place?

If torture stopped terrorism, would it be ok?
If we knew that we could prevent deadly terrorist attacks by torturing prisoners of war, would it be the right thing to do.
Additional Details
It hasn't been prooven effectve. Q...

Bullied at work about weight, and I'm not even fat!! Is this illegal?
My supervisor constantly tells me I need to work out and go on a diet. I'm like MAYBE 10 pounds overweight, but it's none of her business. Is this illegal? I feel like my next comment to ...

Full custody of my daughter?
Court gave me full custody of my daughter but I never received any documents to prove this, I went to the administration office weeks after the court to try to get proof of custody but they didn'...

Can a 16 year old in the UK legally change there name without parental consent?

Additional Details
you have to have parental consent to get married until you are 18, therefore it could be you have to have parental consent for that as well.........

What States condone the Medical use of Marijuana in patients other than terminal?

What if this person has a background of robbery and theft of property, and a robbery takes place and his phone?
This guy has a background of robbery, and theft of property. A robbery takes place and his phone is found OUTSIDE of the place, how guilty do you think he is? Because of his background do you think ...

Are you for or against hunting and why?
I am working on a paper and I'm looking for some opinions from people regarding why or why not they believe in hunting; any kind of hunting, wild game: including birds and trapping if you have ...

Is there a law stating that an employer cannot force you to change the colour of your hair?
I work in Morrison's I am 18 years old. My hair is short, and deep Burgundy (Very dark red). My employers have told me to re-dye my hair, and if failing to do so they make us wear caps. I work ...

If i am eligible for license reinstatement in arizona, can i just get my drivers license in california?
My license was suspended in arizona from a dui in 2008. i met all the requirements and am now eligible to reinstate. Now i live in california. can i just go to the dmv out here and get my CA license ...

What does a temporary California ID card look like from DMV?
Like when you go in you get a temporary one until they send you a permanent one in the mail.
What does it look like?
Any photos would be great.
Additional Details
NOTE*
N...

Can I fight my license suspension or get the suspension shortened?
5 years ago I became disabled and unable to work. I was therefore unable to pay my child support while applying for social security, so they suspended my license. I didn't know it, I drove ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links