Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

I work with a guy who has threatened me physically. What should I do?
Find answers to your legal question.

I work with a guy who has threatened me physically. What should I do?

...I won't go into the details about why he's so upset with me, but first he got physically aggressive and then he said, "I know a lot of people. You could get hurt." The whole day yesterday he gave me these looks like he wanted to kill me. I'm worried for my family's safety. Can I get a restraining order without just pissing him off more? I'm not sure it's the right route to go. I'm hoping that I can just ignore the situation and let it go away. I've sent him a message stating that I would like him to restrict his interactions with me to strictly professional business matters or I may have to pursue legal action (i.e. protection). Does anybody have any advice here? I just don't want to tangle with this guy. I wish I never even talked to him...

Thanks, everybody. I'm really worried here. I feel like I can't talk to anybody because, I don't know, I guess I'm just ashamed that I feel this way. Sorry.

monkeydamour
Rating
You need to tell your HR rep, then the police.

Capt
file a repoprt

nytebreid
For your work... first step - your supervisor. If that doesn't work - Human Resources.

For your home/family... call the police and explain. They'll be able to tell you what they can do for you.

M M T
First, talk to the boss. Tell him that this situation is unacceptable and you expect him to take action. They can't fire you for this.

Then file a report with the police ASAP! If he continues to threaten you, get a restraining order.

In the meantime, be smart! If he makes threats in any manner, record them. Print emails, save text messages, make notes in a notebook. If you can have someone else you trust see them. Don't park in an isolated place anywhere! Always check your car before you get in. Look inside and outside. Keep your doors locked when you are in the car. Consider purchasing a personal alarm. You can get them at places like Radio Shack. They are small enough to fit on your key chain and emit a loud signal when activated. Don't wait until you are at your car or door to dig for your keys; have them in your hand ready to use.

Make sure your windows are either locked or fixed so they cannot open enough for someone to get in. Do your doors have deadbolts?

The upside is in most (but not all) cases, these guys are just bullies and emit a lot of smoke. Just don't take this lightly, take action. Talk to the boss ASAP and the police. And YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED ABOUT!

epow
Rating
Tell your supervisor and human resources, and maybe the police as well about his threats. You can't just ignore his threats and let him walk all over you.

q answers
Rating
tell everyone at work and tell the police too, he'll never try anything because he'd get in trouble. if you do nothing he'll do it more

less
Rating
First speak to your supervisor, and if that does not work then "Man Up"

tusker
why do you feel ashamed. Did you instigate this behaviour. If you think you did then perhaps an apology would help, if you didn't then this is bullying in the workplace and cannot continue.
Maybe you should be talking this through with your line manager if he can be trusted to not go in with size 20 boots. Alternatively a union rep or some one like that may be your first stop. Then solicitors letter and then the police. It is also important to keep some sort of record of his threats whether physical, verbal or visual. Otherwise it is just someone moaning aboout a collegue - remember he could even use that email aginst you so think hard before you act

knite_hawk1
Rating
Talk to your human resources office at your work. Most companies have an extremely strict non harrassment policy. If he has threatened you physically you need to report it. Will it piss him off more.. probably. But do you really want to take the chance that he means it and give him the opportunity to carry out the threats?

MenifeeManiac
Rating
Try to work out the issues between you. Be humble and don't get in his face.

If that does not work, speak with your supervisor. Inform him about your concerns. I'm sure your supervisor will take care of the problem thereafter.

Good luck.

classified
Rating
9-1-1

Guru
Rating
Well you must have done something tick him off! But yeah you shouldn't have wrote him that letter. Very bad judgement of you to state the "legal action"

just be a regular human being and say sorry to him for whatever you have done or just say sorry and tell him I hope we can resolve this and move on because I really do not want there to be tension between us because what would that solve? It wouldn't be very mature of us.

Say that. And I will bet you a million dollars he will not hurt you. This is because you already said sorry in a mature and pleading manner. So if he thinks of hurting he will have thought "this guy apologized to me and I am still going to hurt him?"

you see.

This will help.

-Ravi

Megain H
Rating
what did you do to piss him off? I would get a restraining order. that is the best bet. you should not have to feel threatened at work. good luck.

really?
He'll probaly chill in the next couple days but if he keeps up his crap then go to your boss and file a grievence. Explain the situation, if this guy keeps it up you will have to go back to boss. If it doesn't stop after that then go to police station and ask about filing a PFA protection from abuse order. He should be fired if he keeps it up, but if he doesn't then do as I said and then see about sueing the company for not protecting you from the situation.

TIGER
Rating
Well I would recommend getting the restraining order or getting a gun you could also have a talk with him. Good luck.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How do i find out if my husband filed for divorce and if it was granted?

As a man would it be legal to go to work in high heels a mini skirt and not be sacked??? ...........?
bearing in mind i am a judge!...

Is it fair that alcohol which causes thousands of deaths is legal and marijuana which has caused none is not?

Should I sue my mom???
If she would have never had me, then I would have not had to deal with anything bad ever????...

At what age should people first be able to earn a driver's license?

Can my employer fire me for being pregnant?
I have a great job that I love. I have been here for three months and have been told I'm performing very well. However, after taking three pregnancy tests all with positive results I am ...

If an employer finds out you have a criminal record can they sack you?
I'm still in my probation period at work in a bar and it is going well. They were looking for more recent references than I gave them but I was in prison and my last employer knew about that. If ...

If there are less guns available in the USA wouldn't there be less illegal guns?

Additional Details
Bill M: Are you saying they should legalize illegal immigrants and illegal drugs so there will be less of them?...

Is reading diary illegal?
when someone read ur diary and it cost a lot of conflicts??
is there any law that cover that?...

A life of honest hard work or a life of crime ?

How do you feel about the amnesty bill?
Are you against it? Do you even know what it is? (Hint, it deals with illegal immigration) Are you for it? Why, or why not?
Additional Details
Don't you think that Congress needs ...

What am i looking at if i am going 2 court for being an accomplace in a beer run.?
this kid did a beer run, and i was the driver.. we got stopped, and i am now being charged with transportation of alcohol as a minor, and accomplace 2 a robbery.... could i be looking at jail time ...

I have been getting some letter from some company telling me that,i have won some quantity of money,how to tru
i have got some letter from ""The Lottery of U.K telling me that,i have won some quantity of money(930.000.00$.
Your e-mail address has won yhe quantity below.This is a weekly P...

The Good Samaritan Question: What would YOU do if you saw a person being murdered on the street?
1. How would you feel?
2. What would you say?
3. What actions would you take in that very moment to try and stop it from happening, if any? (Not everyone is a Good Samaritan and sometimes ...

If you could vote for marijuana to be legalized, would you?
My opinion:
Marijuana is no worse than alcohol. A person who is high on marijuana many times seems to me more in touch with reality than someone who is intoxicated.
Marijauna has some ...

Against or with the death penalty...?
Obviously, a very controversial subject...& I sit on the fence for this one...
I believe, in most murder cases, it should be a life for a life, if you take away the life of an INNOCENT (not ...

What state are you living in now?

Do You Agree or Disagree With The US Supreme Court Split Decision Not To Impose Death Sentence on Child Rapist
http://wcbstv.com/nation
As a liberal I gree with not to impose death sentence, not even close.
Additional Details
Bob K. Enjoy the ...

Should gun owners be held liable for accidents involving children and firearms?
This is for my English **Final** paper. Let me know what you think, I'm looking for all opinions (opposing and agreeing), any websites...just let me know! The question is: Should gun owners be ...

Do you think we should bring back capital punishment for certain crimes?
If so, why?/If not, why not?
What are your views on this?
Additional Details
(In UK by the way)...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links