Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

If I loaned someone money and they aren't paying me back?
Find answers to your legal question.

If I loaned someone money and they aren't paying me back?

Can I take any LEGAL action? We only had a verbal agreement and I loaned him cash. I just want what he owes me but it has been a long time and I have a lot more bills to pay now.


While at law it sounds like you have a contract, it will all come down to evidence. There mere fact that you haven't written the agreement down on paper doesn't mean that it's not a valid agreement but you are going to have a hard time proving not only that the agreement existed but what the terms of the agreement are (eg what was agreed in respect of when he would pay you back).

Any evidence you have of the loan will be beneficial if you try to take the matter to court (eg transfer slips for the money to your friend, any emails discussing the loan etc). Small claims court would probably be the place to start as you don't usually need lawyers to bring actions.

Any action you take in future (eg if you ask the person for the money back) - put it all down in writing (at the very least in an email) so have evidence of it.

Judge Judy would probably be able to solve your problem :)

To take legal action, you require documents.

Ask ICICI Bank people in India. They are the experts in that field. They will guide you how to get back your loan amount.

yes u can . have u had any witnesses at that time u made a deal?

The thing about loaning money is that it's basically a crap shoot as to whether or not you'll actually get it back. Ask the guy for the money back or if he can make some kind of payment arrangements. You can take legal action, but why clog up the courts with something so petty.

Next time remember to only loan money if you can afford to lose it.

Angyles Cerddoriaeth
You can file suit, but you realize the case would be a "He said/She said" situation. Filing a case though, may scare the person into paying you and you may never need to even go to court.

yea let me know when you find out cause i loaned sombody two grand an am worried

if you can prove that he has paid some of the loan...like some receipts and have some witnesses of this verbal agreement then you have a good chance to file a lawsuit in a small claims court. You have to be prepared though. Try to have as much proof as possible. Also keep in mind that court costs money and that usually cannot be part of your lawsuit amount.

Do you have $50 I can borrow?

Joe K
Yes. A verbal agreement holds up in any small claims or civil court. It would be hard to prove if the person denies that the transaction took place or claims that their understanding was that the money was a gift.

Because there is no paper trail your best bet is to hope that this person is honest in court.

My Big Bear Ron
do you have any written documents supporting your case?

Verbal agreements will not hold up in court...UNLESS there was a nuetral third party that witnessed the transaction. Be smarter in the future. ALWAYS make agreements like that in WRITING

Do you have any evidence ??????????????

A verbal agreement will boil down to he said she said in court. Hopefully you gave him a check or some other instrument that can be tracked to prove you loaned him the money.

If you loaned cash I'd forget about collecting.

If you can get him to admit he borrowed money from you in front of a judge then yes, you can take Civil action against him. You have to get his full name, address, and fill with your local civil court/small claims. Make sure you have any evidence you can bring, like witnesses BUT no witness statement if they cannot be present at the time of trial, because that is inadmissible.

You need to get a promisory not from him now. ASAP. With his signature. That way, if he doesn't pay, you can have a good claim in Court. Verbal agreements are so hard to prove. Did you agree on a time frame. Maybe he can pay in installments. If he just seems that he's not going to pay, try to get him to acknowledge the loan during a taped telephone conversation or text message or email. Anything that you can take to court.

Good luck with the deadbeat.

You can take legal action but you have to have proof. You don't even have proof that you gave him that money! Judge Judy would toss you out of her court in a heartbeat.

Some places won't honor a verbal agreement. If they do, get a Warrant In Debt served on them. If that doesn't work, call GUIDO!!

Nag and stalk his @ss til he pays!
use guilt trip as much as possible

LA :0)
First contact the person and tell them that you know it's been a while but you need your money. If he refuses then contact an attorney for a free consultation.

yesu can take a legal action, but u have to have some proof

Take him to small claims court. You do not need a lawyer. But you should have evidence of the amount, interest rate, time to pay back, and amount of periodic payments like some kind of note, witnesses or both. Otherwise it's "he said vs she said" and you will lose. It would also be helpful if you had a record of his payments up until he stopped paying. You could also talk to his parents. Good luck.

You know what they say: a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on.
You could try small claims court, but without anything in writing, this person can claim you never gave him any money. Even a canceled check would be helpful.

If there is no written agreement, you are pretty much screwed. Take this as a lesson learned.

yes, of course. but it's going to be tough if you don't have any evidence of you loaning him money. is anybody there when you loaned money? a witness would be good. then you can go to civil court, and ask a lawyer to see what can he do.

2 words judge judy!!!

Civil matter. Small claims court. Whoever has the most paper wins.

You could try to threaten with small claims court, but it's never a good idea to lend anyone money. It's hard to collect, as you can see.

Try small claims.

Unless you have some proof that it was a loan and not a gift, it would just be your word against theirs. You can always try legal action and hope for the best. But, it might be better to just tell the person your problem and why you need the money back now. And if it doesn't come, just write it off as a learning experience on not lending money either without something written, signed, and witnessed, or just give the money and don't count on getting it back, up front.

Is the amount large enough to warrant a legal suit?

Basically, you have 2 options:
1) ask your friend to return you the money (assuming you lent the money to someone you know well);

2) accept that you'll never get the money back, and take this (loss) as an expensive lesson never to be repeated. The moment you agree to lend someone your money, treat it as good as gone

You need to prove you gave him the money. You need to prove that it was a loan, ie, that he owed you interest on the loan. And, you need to prove that you made an effort to collect the loan. If you can prove these elements, ie, a cancelled check with the word loan on it and another cancelled check with the words loan payment on it, you can sue . Otherwise, you are out of luck.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Are you for or against the death penalty? why?
this is helping me write an english paper, thank you....

 I live in Idaho and just wanted to know if it is ok to date some one 10 years older then you (14 and 24)?

 Isn't outlawing guns to stop killing exactly like outlawing cars to stop drunk driving?
In both cases, people make decisions on how to use inanimate objects for destructive purposes. These objects are harmless without human intervention. Isn't it wiser to use laws that already ...

 Are you for or against abortion, and why?
Besides religious reasons, why are you against abortion?
why are you for it?
you can build your answer off of other people who posted, but dont bad mouth someone who is for it, cuz they ...

 What is the perfect crime?
can somebody advise me on how to commit the perfect crime with nobody getting hurt or losing out in any way and with no danger of me getting caught?...

 How can i fight my rapist?

 (Best argumentative opinion will get BEST ANSWER.) Why do we do this...?
Why do we kill people, who kill people, to show that killing people is wrong?

I would like to hear serious and logical answers that argue your opinion well in a respective manner. T...

 What is your opinion on flag burning?
Do you think it is ok to burn the U.S. flag by U.S. citizens?...

 Is it illegal to place a letter or flier into somebody's mail box without going through the UPS?
The president of my neighborhood's homeowners association received a telephone call from the UPS asking her to stop distributing the newsletters in people mailbox because the UPS is losing money....

 Is it right for victims of gun violence and their families to sue the manufacturer of the weapon?

 My partner got court drink drink driving with no liscence?
he then got court a month later for the same thing. he jumped bail and only just handed himself in after 5 months any ideas?...

 Please answer this question. This is a serious question.....my future is being ruined......................
About 7 years ago I got into a fight with my brother in law. We got arrested, but neither of us did much damage to the other one. We were in a holding cell for 4 hours, we got out, dropped the ...

 Would you shoot and kill someone for tresspassing into your yard and taking a bike ?
I seriuosly would .
Additional Details
crimanals dont have rights. First my bike , what next my son ?...

 What are my rights as a 17 year old towards my parents do they have rights to look through my personal stuff?
my mother decided to randomly go into my room an look through my purse today and found a pipe and visine in one of my inside pockets , which i was holding for a friend. She decided to asume ...

 How can Pro Life people support the death penalty?? When it proves to be a contradiction???
Life Is Life
Innocence and guilty do not measure the value of a human life.......While saying that the laws are wrong on abortion you support the same laws of the death penalty....U claim ...

 Can you sue someone for giving you bad advice on Yahoo answers?
Like legal advice or medical advice?
Additional Details
I didn't take anyones bad advice i am not asking so I can sue someone, i am just asking because i thought it was an ...

 Is it legal to videotape a group of people without them knowing it?

 Was this molestation?
When I was in high school, I was standing in the lunch line to get something. Two boys who were in my grade were standing behind me. All of a sudden, I felt a quick touch on my butt and then I heard ...

 Do you think Sarah Palin is a qualified canidate for VP?

 What is the length of time a power of attorney stays in effect?
power of attorney for ones parent stays in effect for what length of time?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, February 12, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links