Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

If a father gives up his "parental rights" does he have to still pay child support?
Find answers to your legal question.

If a father gives up his "parental rights" does he have to still pay child support?

rickinnocal
Yes.

This is a common misconception that a man can get out of paying child support by surrendering his parental rights.

Not so. Your parental *rights* and your parental *obligations* are two unrelated things. The ONLY way to get out of being obligated to support your child is if you surrender your rights in order for someone else to legally adopt the child, thus assuming your obligations.

Richard

∞infiniti∞
Once your parental rights have been severed, you will no longer be the child's legal parent. You have no obligation to support the child.
However, in order for that to occur there has to be another man willing to adopt the child.

You cannot unilaterally "give up" your parental rights in order to avoid paying child support. If that were the case, there would be hordes of fatherless children out there.
A child deserves the support and guidance of both parents.

Lila
That would be the decision of the judge/court of jurisdiction. In most cases signing over physical parental rights does not relieve the parent of their financial obligation unless the other parent agrees. If however, the rights are being relinquished so the child can be adopted, the court will dismiss child support obligations.

psylockegurl
Yes, he still pays child support, if his name is on the birth certificate then he's stuck unless the person with possession agrees for him to sign a document saying he doesn't have to. Perfect example, my brother's father gave up his parental rights when my bro was 4 and my dad adopted him. The court asked my mother if she still wanted child support and my father said no, he could support him. I also know another man I worked with who gave up his rights 2 days after his daughter was born but still pays $500 a month in child support and the court is after him to pay more a month. Only way to get out of it is for the legal guardian to agree for someone else to not have to pay support and a document has to be signed and given to the court.

RemembertheUtah
No. However, he can not give up his rights (and responsibilities) unless it is OK with the mother of the child and with the court.

For example, if the father makes a quarter million a year as a stock broker and the mother can only work as a maid, it is unlikely the court would approve the father giving up his parental rights and obligation to pay child support.

On the other hand if the father is a high school drop out and can not pay squat in child support and the mother is a MD who makes good money, the court would be more than willing to OK the deal.

But it is NOT just something the father can decide to do just to get out of child support. Everyone has to agree to it.

Michael H
Rating
As a rule yes, terminating ones rights does not absolve them of financial responsibility.

dingobluefoot
Rating
Giving up parental rights means that he is totally out of the picture, and does not pay child support. How sad, though, that someone would give up his child simply to avoid paying out some case to support it....

Buster B
Rating
uhm i dont think so,
i think when this happens he isnt allowed to have contact with you.or im guessing no.
my mom threatened my dad if he didnt pay more that she was just going to ask him to give up his rights so he dont have to pay anymore.

Teekno
Rating
Generally, surrendering parental rights is a package deal that guarantees that he won't have to pay child support. If a man is completely disengaged with his child's life, it's a good alternative. Otherwise, there would be little incentive for him to surrender those rights.

Sweetpea
I have two wonderful boys, who their daddy gave up all rights without me having a say so in it. My boys are 10 and 11 years old and this is the hardest thing for them because they dont no why, or what did they do? I thought this was very low and real selfish of him to do this. I believe he didnt want to pay child support due to his new girlfriend, two days after he done this he bought a brand new 2011 truck. Where is the justice for my children to have a good child hood. I never work because thats how he wanted it, now I have found a job and its hard, my children has to do without on alot of things, that they have grow a consume too. I think the system on this problem needs to be address. I found that fathers who do this should not be able to do this without paying support for there children for at least 5 years so the mother will have time to get back on her feet and support the children . Its not fair for him to do this leaving all financial responisble for the mothers. If theres any light that someone could help me with letting me know if there any help out there for me to support my children please let me know.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Does it excite you that all charges of spying have been dropped?
Alas, poor Mr. Franklin was convicted for espionage but not Steve and myself. We are innocent and wouldn't hurt a fly. Trust us....

How do we have this issue with a Preliminary Judicial Report?
The magistrate stated in November 2008 that we did not need a PJR for a Quiet Title Case, and not to worry about it. Last week we had a very troublesome meeting with the magistrate in which he lost ...

Come on guys...only 3 answers? How long do we have to move?
i posted this question once but need more input
my fiance and i had to file bankruptcy cause of Fords "cutbacks"...anyway we were buying a modular home before the fall of the economy ...

Help with some Business Law homework please ... :) ...?
One of my assignments is to go to google and find an example of a case where someone has been let out of their contract because of Intoxication.

When search for "Disaffirm contracts ...

Why should Marijuana remain illegal?
It's for my science report, why should it remain illegal?

health, social or economic reasons needed.

Thankyou :)
Additional Details
No i had to i didn't ...

Do you think racial profiling is alright when it comes to security at airports and airlines?
Linda Chavez states in one of her essays that it is unpleasant to be a suspect when you are innocent, but it is worse to overlook terrorists because we ignored their pertinent characteristics.
<...

I think I hear some homeless people hanging around in the wood behind my property...?
I think its a private property, what should I do? Should I call a police or should I leave them alone?...

Can a lawsuit survive the death of one of the parties?
can the executor continue the lawsuit after one of the parties of a lawsuit dies?...

If the government makes gay marriage legal?
don't you think they should allow anyone to marry who they want,and shouldn't the Later Day Saints be allowed to marry as many people as they like and any age they like,and if not wouldn...

When is it considered assault?
Ok so this girl is my friend and she's pretty much my sister and lately there's been this guy who got her into pot and touches her when and where she doesnt want him to. So if i ever saw ...

Do they have the "no shoes no service" policy in Australia, Europe and Asia?
I know they have it in Canada, Alaska, and the United States. I wonder if it's more universal?...

I sold a camper 6 months ago and it hasn't been picked up yet. The buyer now wants money back. What do we do?
We have already spent the money and can not give it back. We have worked many hours trying to help this person ship the camper and moved the camper for it to be in a better location to be picked up.<...

I want to take my father to court!?
My father has not been around my whole life. He did pay child support to my mother till I was 18. I am now in college and would like to see if I have any options to get him to help me out. I heard ...

I need an unfair court case?
I need to know about unfair,and maybe bizarre, court cases. They don't have to be famous.

T...

What is the law which states that if a person's parents have been citizens of the U.S. for 10 years...?
What is the law which states that if a person's parents have been citizens of the U.S. for 10 years, the child is eligible for president? A friend and I were arguing about McCain being born in P...

What do you thing about the case Buck v Bell?
whats your opinion?...

There is supposedly a bench warrant for my arrest, but I had no knowledge of a court date set for me?
I have been to all of my court dates that I have had scheduled and bee notified of....

The police arrest you for believing that you are a member of a terrorist group, the burden of prove is on who?
If the police arrests you, says that you a member of a terrorist group, the burden of prove is on who to prove that you are or you are not a member of a terrorist group. Police have suspecision, asks ...

Gay marriage and gun rights in Canada...?
Is gay marriage legal in Canada? And are there gun rights there like we have in the US (the right to bear arms)?...

Is there a way to detect man made ELF waves?
ELF stands for extra low frequency, its the frequency which all life resonates on. Apparently people are being controlled right now by the government using those waves
Additional Details

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links