Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

If someone steals your gun from your home and commits a crime can you go to jail for that crime?
Find answers to your legal question.

If someone steals your gun from your home and commits a crime can you go to jail for that crime?

Steeltrapped
Yeah you sure can. Listen, if the cops and the DA truly believe that you did it, whether you did or not, they can make a case saying that. Not only that but a lot of people go shoot someone and then get rid of the gun and claim it was stolen. If you have a gun that turns up missing, you need to immediately report it to the cops, BEFORE someone uses it to commit a crime, and even then if it turns out that it was used in the commission of a crime down the road somewhere, you can bet your lucky stars they'll have a black and white or two in your driveway before you can bat an eye.
Trust me on this, I've been in the 'system', I know how it works, and I know plenty of other people who were there too. Never assume that because you didn't do it, or because there is no evidence, that they cannot lock you up for it anyway!!!

$andman
not if you reported it stolen

rsltompkins
Rating
depends on what state you live in, guns rules vary from state to state, in ct you can be held responsible if you don't report the weapon stolen.

the kid
yeah unless you report it

Legend L
Nice try. We all know you are really guilty.

cantcu
Rating
No, however it is always good to report a missing weapon, then there is no question.

In Texas you would probably be put to death though! :o)

DrIG
No, not for the crime but you can if the gun was illegal for you to own.

Erica!!
Rating
no..if someone steals your car & hits someone with it are you responsible for that? no.

Claire
It depend I don't think so.

Julia D
Rating
That actually happened to me in 1985. Someone stole my .380. We had a record though, of all the serial numbers, makes and models of our weapons and everything else valuable in the house. This came in very handy when the gun was stolen and we had to make a police report.

We weren't liable for any crimes committed with that gun AFTER we reported it stolen. Which we did, the same day it was stolen, in fact. Never did see that gun again.

Benjamin Gladstone
Rating
Not for "that crime." Like someone mentioned - criminal laws vary from state to state, but there is not a state in the union that will charge you for a crime committed with your stolen gun.

Mark
Rating
depends on if your fingerprints are on it. LOL

Amos S
sounds like the story the drunk tells when the law finds his smashed up car the next day"Dang,it wasn't me,someone must have stolen my car last night.I was home alone all night,I swear!)
If a gun was used in a crime and traced back to you and the law is "interested"in you,more than likely you have come up on their radar before.Change your ways before some "Bubba" makes you his bit%&.

Hillary
Rating
If the cops know it was yours and can trace it to you, you might be implicated or questioned. Just make sure you report it stolen when you notice that it's missing to cover your butt.

grips
Only if the gun is unregistered and then you can only be charges with having an unregistered weapon. Don't you watch "Law and Order"?

Consul of Rome
no

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can an 18 year old in high school legally...?
own their own place of residence? 18 is the legal age, but if they are still in high school, would it be illegal?...

Why is gay marriage not legal?
isnt it illegal to involve religion into politics? and why would religious groups be involved in ...

What kind of trouble can a person be in if they break 2 small glass windows on a vaccant house in texas?
I am 19 and I've never done anything wrong before I just decided to be stupid and broke some windows(2, very small like letter paper size) on a house, I regret it and am wondering what kind of ...

My boyfriend got charged with tampering with/ fabricating evidene.. how much time can he face?
He has a record.. but hes a clean guy now.. he just got charged with tampering/ fabricating with evidence. I dont know how much jail time he can do.. if any. his bong is at 15,000. can anyone give me ...

An 85 year old woman has been living in the same apartment for 40 years and her hands shake like crazy.......?
She lives in a building under the rent stabilized law. She requested a dishwasher last year because she was having trouble standing for long periods of time as well as hold the dishes. First the ...

Marijuana legalization?
i know its a silly question but there are so many different points of view and facts and opinions and what not etc. why is Marijuana ...

I was involved in an alcohol sting..the girl came through my line and i asked for her date of birth..i don't ?
know why i thought she would tell the truth..and i could tell something wasn't right the way she was looking..anyway was she suppose to lie about her age ..i got fired and received a ticket none ...

What are the arguements i can make for capital punishment being legalised in the UK?

Can a fathers parental rights be removed
my 14 month old old son hasnt seen his father in almost a year and hasnt payed a penny towards him. he takes drugs and drinks most weekends and can be ...

Does anyone know if it is illegal to be asked to have your drivers licence scanned upon entering a niteclub?

What qualifies for wrongful imprisonment?
I was arrested for a violation of a law in which one of the subsections clearly exempts members of the military (which I am). Does the time I spent in jail (7 hours) and the fact that my name and ...

Is This Considered A Crime And If So What Would It Fall Under?
Please Excuse All Spelling Mistakes Im In A Hurry To Type This !

I have a family member that has worked for the same company for 20 years as the Manager. Throughout that 20 years he/she ...

Can your father emancipate you if you are 18, and do not have a job, But starting college in the fall?
I am 18, received my high school equivalent diploma in February 2008, My dad yells at me all the time about not having a job. I have really bad anxiety and have problems going into places and getting ...

Broke persons camera accidentally because I tried taking it away cuz they took a photo of me without permision?
Am I legally responsible to pay them back, after all they took a picture of me without my consent and it was an accident.
Additional Details
Can someone give me proof of this with a ...

Is it legal to drive with an open container of alcohol in your vehicle?
A.No, there are no exceptions
B. Yes, if the container is in the trunk
C. Yes, if the container is in the trunk and someone in the vehicle is over 21
D. Yes, if the container is locked ...

What is the major problem for and against abortion?
thank you for all who are answering. you guys are a great help. :)...

Do you feel that the death penalty is justice, or justified vengeance?
I feel that it is the latter because it is using the "eye for an eye" rule. I also add that that rule was made in an age many now consider barbaric and primitive. I find the fact that we ...

PLEASE HELP HELP HELP?
2 DAYS AGO MY HUSBAND AND I WERE FIGHTING PUSHING AND SHOVING EACH OTHER HE PULLED ME AND LEFT A SCRATCH ON ME BUT IT WAS MUTUAL I SCRATCH HIM TO HE CALLED THE POLICE AND THEY END UP TAKING HIM TO JAI...

Why is the government involved in gay marriage? Why do liberals feel an unnatural act is OK?
Why are we taking the low road and not looking to build a higher standard for the future....

When will martial law hit the street in america ?
when will martial law hit the street in america
im guessing end 2009 beginning 2010...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links