Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

If two lanes turn right, can you turn right on a red light from the lefthand of the two right turn lanes?
Find answers to your legal question.

If two lanes turn right, can you turn right on a red light from the lefthand of the two right turn lanes?

this would be in states where turning right on a red light after stopping is legal.

beaniefufer
yep, do it all the time!! just be careful cause the dumbies in the right-hand lane often think they own the road and wander right into your lane 1/2 way thru the turn!!!

BHANU V. RAVAL
no, just better to be safe than sorry

thin-blue-line
Seems like if both lanes are able to make a right turn, a right on red would not be allowed. If there are no signs saying not to do it, then turn.

Dan S
Rating
No, you would interfere with the person in the right lane who may be trying to turn right as well.

The laws may vary from state to state but in Nevada: http://www.dmvnv.com/dltrafficlaws.htm
"Right on Red
You are allowed to turn right on a red light after coming to a full stop, unless otherwise posted. You must be in the extreme right-hand lane and yield to pedestrians and all traffic moving through the intersection."

In California: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/safety/motorist/behaviors/aggressive/red-lights.htm
"Important: No turn may be made on a red signal if it means crossing lanes of moving traffic or if a sign at the intersection prohibits a turn. On making a turn on a red signal, you must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and bicyclists and other traffic lawfully using the intersection."

If that is the law in Nevada and California then I would expect it to be the same nation wide.

Wickipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_turn_on_red
"All 50 states as well as the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico have allowed right turns on red since January 1, 1980, unless a sign otherwise prohibits this. In the 1970s, some states instituted the practice to save fuel (see 1973 oil crisis and 1979 energy crisis). From 1982-1992, approximately 84 fatal crashes per year occurred in the U.S. where a vehicle was turning right at intersections where ROTR was permitted. "

Mel
Rating
No.

As far as I know, in my state, making a right hand turn on a red light is legal only from the rightmost lane and only when there is not a red arrow for that lane, a red light that is specifically for that lane and/or a sign designating no right hand turns on red (or red arrow.)

Stormy
Yes.

peakcox
some lights you can, and some you cant, there should be a sign that says "left lane no right turn on red", if this sign is not there then it should be ok, that is how it is here in GA

Final Frontier
Rating
Not unless a sign is posted say you can.

frankie59
yes

lighthouse
Rating
If you wish to have an accident, yes.

Ann Chovie
If there's a sign that says no turn on red then you can't. other than that, you can go.

Meow
I don't think so

Chreap
Turning right on a red light is allowed in Canada as well, but I don't think you'd be able to do that from an inside lane.

Normally there's a separate exit ramp strictly for right turns only.

beccasc02
yes

Jenny
yes

Brian S
Absolutely not. More than likely there will be a "No Right on Red" sign, this is for the saftey of any cyclist that you will probably not see until both of you meet in the middle of the other street.

THOMAS
NO, not in Calif. They dont put signs up here that gives you permission to pull out in front of cross-traffic Only the far right hand lane has the right to make that turn after making that stop, but I watch the people in the left do it all the time. The left side Right turn lane would have to wait for the green light, because you will be going across a lane going in a different direction instead of working your way in on the slow lane. Unless there is a sign stating no right on red then that would also include the far right turn lane , otherwise not. I'm sure every state is that way, Call your DMV I bet they will agree

Deepers
The CVC (California Vehicle Code) and DMV Driver's Handbook are so vague on the matter that it really becomes up to the officer's/judge's whim (unfortunately for us). There are only a subset of scenarios covered by either guide, and there are so many edge cases not covered. And if you look at discussion threads or forums that ask similar questions, you'll find that non-authoritative answers (i.e. opinions) go both ways. Everyone thinks they know, but the truth is they can't because the rules just aren't specific enough and don't catch all of the possible scenarios.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Hi, How do I sue a big company?
like coca cola , or Pepsi for advertising controversial articles on their products about my country and its weird culture which is completely wrong . I had called them in July 2007 and they have send ...

OBAMA is not a natural born citizen of the United States why should he be allowed to be President?
it clearly states in our laws that someone that is not born in the united states cannot be president - NOW WHAT!!!!
Additional Details
he was born in Kenya -...

If drinking and driving is Illegal then why do Bars have Parking Lots?

Is a bartender responsible for over serving you?
if I geta dui and am not just drunk but totally wasted is it my fault or the bartenders?? I dont even remeber leaving
Additional Details
I live in V...

What is legally considered rape?
If the victim and 'rapist' are both under the age of 12 is it still considered rape, from a legal stand point? By definition, what I am thinking of WAS rape, but what happens to the kids if ...

Should over 70's be allowed to drive??????

Can a 12-year old have abortion without parental consent?

Is it against the law to take tan naked in my backyard in Virginia?

Additional Details
(yes, my neighbors can see me from their deck)...

If I would like to make a written complaint regarding a lawyer.?
What association would I write to regarding a formal written complaint about a lawyer and their services?
Additional Details
I live in Michigan, thanks for all of your help....

Do Americans wish it was illegal to carry weapons?
I would....

For or Against the DEATH PENALTY ? Is it "cruel and unusual punishment" according to our Constitution ?
In 2004, 4 countries accounted for 94% of known state-inflicted executions, according to Amnesty International. Those were:

1. CHINA (At least 3,400 Executions)

2. IRAN (Approx. ...

Am I entitled to an additional day off if my rest day falls on a bank holiday?
I work fulltime as a beautician but I have no written contract of employment. Traditionally we work on Saturdays and take Mondays off instead. This means that every bank holiday Monday I am off ...

Need advice on an incident on my son's school bus, possibly legal.?
Three boys, my son age 12 and 2 10 year olds were fooling around on the bus the other day, along with some kids behind them. One kid kept having his hat pulled off his head. My son got out of his ...

If killing is considered immoral, and those convicted of it will be punished, then why the death penalty?
It seems hypocritical... we convict those accused of murder, but then sentence them to the same thing we are punishing them for? This is yet another law in our country that I just don't ...

Funny how Gay Marriage approved in Calif then a week later GOD strikes us with Fire!?
Is it just a coincidence that just after this immoral law was approved that we have had multiple fires popping up all over Northern Calif? and we are gonna see more lighting...read your bibles people....

Is anybody else fed up with parents defending their out of control hooligan kids who think they are above the?
law.. That daft Cameron geezer who thinks hugging a hoodie or loving a lout is the answer is well and truly wrong he wants his bumps feeling.. I tried to be reasonable with a woman on my street who ...

Is this legal? A friend took a photo, this guy was in the background?
apparently, my name has been brought up as the one who owns the camera? - it's not though.
but anyway.

the photo had this guy in the background, police are involved because ...

Do you think it's right to ban smoking in restaurants?
Personally I like to go to restaurants without being exposed to smoke, bars are something different in my opinion. Furthermore, it's not a infringement on rights because no one is saying stop ...

Can they force my husband to do jury duty if he is the only income in our home?
my husband makes about 750.00 a week at his work. he got picked to stand on a trial jury. his work only paid him for the first three days and all the rest have only been 50.00 a day which is only 250....

Some people cheated during my midterm? Should I tell on them?
They got the midterm before the midterm, and then studied off of it. I studied real hard, however, I feel that I was at a disadvantage. Should I tell the professor?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links