Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

If you accidentally damage something at work, can your employer make you pay for it?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you accidentally damage something at work, can your employer make you pay for it?

The item in question was a client's laptop we were working on, which i accidentally knocked of a counter and shattered the screen

(..._.) (.....)
Rating
NO WAY!!

ARE YOU GUYS CRAZY??

It's the duty of the employer to put in incentives, and implement risk management / insurance / whatever to account for these losses. It's illegal to take something broken in the course of employment out of someone's pay.

If they take it out of your pay, take them to court. If they fire you, take them to court again.

You are working for an unscrupulous employer. I'd fight this tooth and nail. Unacceptable business practice in ANY industry

Michael
Hmm, well, he can, technically, and also, if it was your own doing, accidental or not, you should at least take the responsibility of paying for something you have broken, plus, even if he or she couldnt make you pay for it, how good do you think that would look on your resume, or how much longer you oculd have a job, hmm?

Sean
Rating
Yes. If you're an adult you take responsibility for your accidents.

Alex H
uh, yes they can. smooth move Xlax.

Kenneth S
If you did it by accident then you should take responsibility for your action and reimburse for any damages that were caused by you. I wouldn't think they could force you without going to court but out of principle if you break something you should do your best to replace it.

bmoviebimbo
yes. you should have been more careful.

Afro
they can't legally in ontarioi...however every jurisdiction has different rules

jbunny06
Rating
sad to say it.. but.. YES... because it was your FAULT for not being careful.. :P

Well Duh!
Rating
yes they can

webned
Rating
No, but he can fire you.

mrs. holden caulfield ♥♥
If you were the person to break it, then yes.

Bitter Half
No, legally he cannot make you pay for it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When and How did the emancipation of minors in the United States begin?
I am writing an essay on Emancipation of Minors in California but I'm stuck trying to answer when it began and who started it....

What are the procedures that result n a fair trial?

If I tell my doctor that I smoke weed is he allowed to tell my parents, my school, or the police?
I am only 17 but I usually smoke weed 2-3 times a week. Can he tell anyone or are there confidentiality laws / restrictions?...

Does a minor need a consent from parents when traveling with a relative?
for example an underage girl traveling with a relative say traveling with aunt would the underage girl need a consent to travel without her parents but a relative to another country
sorry if it ...

What is the benefit of becoming your spouse's legal guardian?
My step father is very sick and unable to care for himself, he can't walk at all and has lost his ability to speak. The family has been suggesting my mother move him to a facility that can care ...

I was given a catheter, by a C.N.A. who is NOT licensed to do so and injured...?
I went to the hospital (Waukesha Memorial) I was in the ER Department. A C.N.A. came in the room and made my lay down and began to try and put a catheter in me. Once it became very painful and I ...

How do you feel about the Federal Government owning Chrysler?
The Federal Government along with the United Auto Workers Union will own Chrysler, essentially federalizing the company.

What are your opinions on this development?...

Can we sue the government?
The U.S. government could have stopped this swine flu outbreak/pandemonium and closed the borders and tested people and let them back slowly but now they ask for billions to do something now. TO LITTL...

How long does a autistic child have to file a lawsuit if a guardian ad litem is appointed to protect the legal?
guardian ad litem is appointed?...most minors have until the age of 18.....is that right to sue until that age effected by the appointment of the g.a.l.?...

Will you fight the "Internet Fairness Doctrine”?
http://www.infowars.com/...

In texas is prostition a felony or misdamener and it happen in 1990 one time is not a felony rite?

Why do we continue to house deathrow inmates after they are found guilty, can we just kill them save taxes.?
they got to prison and almost have a perfect life, have fun taliking among other criminals.....

A roommate was set to move into our house, and backed out 3 days prior. Should he get his money back?
a roommate was set to move into our house on the 1st. He backed out 3 days prior. He has already paid first and last months rent to me. There was no lease, only a verbal agreement. Myself and another ...

Should schools ban starter's pistols?
It is a gun, isn't it? Is it sending the wrong message? Where do we draw the line?...

My sister is 16 years old and doesn't want to live with either parent.?
Her father is married to a woman who doesn't treat her right and our mother is in the middle of a divorce. Right now my mother lives in minnesota and is intending on moving back to Indiana. If ...

What is the max. penalty for attempted murder in vic, australia?

Additional Details
uh plumberswife... its for an assignment......

Issues related to euthanasia?
with focus on the law???

thanks in ...

Can anyone help?? i was banned for drink driving (please dont judge me) a year and a half ago... for 9 months?
Can anyone help?? i was banned for drink driving (please dont judge me) a year and a half ago... for 9 months?
due to me completing a drink drive re-habiltation course and 2 weeks ago i passed ...

What are the legal stipulations regarding Brass Knuckles?
I suspect each state has different legal stipulations regarding brass knuckles?

What if you get pulled over by a cop for something and they find brass knuckes in your car or on your person?...

How to get a court decree in the UK?
Hello there, I've been asked to present a court decree for my conviction in 1995 in the UK to the Canadian embassy. Could anyone tell me please on how and where to get one?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links