Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

If you confess to murder in a church would the priest have to turn you in? same with psychiatrist. ?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you confess to murder in a church would the priest have to turn you in? same with psychiatrist. ?

do they have a legal obligation to the client or to the police. where is the line between ethical and legal in this case?
Additional Details
omg no i didnt kill anyone im watching one tree hill where dan kills his brother and confessed it to a priest that he was about to kill someoine then told a psyc that he killed his bro. you are the lunatics for thinkin that this is a confession

Artman
Rating
No, they can't talk; the confession would be classified as a "privilege communication" and is not valid in court. If the priest or psychiatrist go to court the court would be forced to reject his statement; also they would lose their job and/or license.

"...All fifty states, the District of Columbia, and the federal government have enacted statutory privileges providing that at least some communications between clergyman and parishioners are privileged...."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessional_Privilege_(United_States)

Some ways a priest or psychiatrist's statement can be legally acepted are if:

1) He/she feels threaten by the confessed murderer. (That's what heppened in the Melendez brothers case: one of the brothers threated the Doctor)
2) He/she feels the murderer is an "imminent" threat to others. (for example a crazy woman stating she wants to kill her ex).
3) At least twenty states have now abolished the clergy-penitent privilege in cases of child abuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest-penitent_privilege

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physician-patient_privilege

http://www.pcchap.org/PCMANUEL/Chp%203/chapter3.htm

asp2write
Rating
No, but they are required to report you if you say you are about to kill some one.

mgm
no...the seal of confession(this is where a preist is sworn to secrecy) they must stay silent about what the murderer has said or the preist could be excommunicated(where they lose their liscence as a preist and may not go to anymore catholic services)
a psychiatrist, i dont know, but i dont think they can

robert c
Rating
I always thought that confession to a priest could not be repeated!I am not aware that a psychiatrist is bound by that oath of silence even though he is a medical practitioner!

louiseb92
pyschiatrists i think have the doctor/client confidentality..a priest, well depends, i know if you tell a catholic priest in confession...he cant say anything

Ben
Priest no........Psyc.....maybe.

David H
Rating
You can't just think that the person will kill again, there has to be direct evidence (he says he will kill again) that the person will do it again. A priest I don't think would ever say anything, a psychiatrist might and if he did without this evidence, he would lose alot of money, alot!

lina blue
Rating
church no, shrink maybe if they were court ordered

Eduardo M
if you take this as a confession your stupid
it can be a mere question who others misunderstood that is all.
and no they cant the priest swears not to say anything he hears during confession, only in this case if they think the person will kill again then they will

Sexy Sindy
Rating
I don't think they do??

Interesting question tho. post it in R and S.

Penny K
If they confess to planning a murder, than the priest or psychiatrist have a legal obligation to share that information with the authorities. If they confess to a murder done ten years ago, and there is no sign that any other crime may come of it than I think they can hold it in their confidence.

Private
Rating
A psychiatrist has to abide by a code of ethics set into his licence to practise.In essence he is obliged to turn you over to the filth and patient confidentiality would obviously be secondary.

A priest has no legal obligation to grass you for your sins on a professional basis,but common sense ,Church law and personal ethics would probably mean that he would turn Judas on you.

levitimmer
Rating
god these people are crazy and our talking out there ***..... yes a psychiatrist has to report crimes, if you go in and say you were raped by so and so they would call the cops and tell them regardless of what you want.please don't give me that bs about confidentiality laws READ THEM

as for a priest there is no law that he is allowed to keep anything from the police, so yea he will tell, but Again no laws on it its more of a moral obligation, and if a cop asks he HAS to answer.

Dr Fegg
Rating
Why? did you kill someone?

Lance Murdoch
Rating
legally yes causing death by such inaction is a criminal offence.

Rating
That depends if they think the person will kill again.

Loren
So you're saying you killed someone?

Bob
Rating
I am not sure, but they should have to turn you in.

Brody W
i think they would and haved to turn you in

spunkydudette
Did you kill someone?

WHEELS =]
Rating
If the priest knows that the murderer is wanted by the police and is popular (By being on TV) and if he new that their actually was a murder then i think he would report it yes.

If some random person came in and said i have commited a murder and they had mental health problems and he told of them to the police he would be wating their time so i guess he would not!

Hope i helped you out mate :)

???
Priests are obliged to keep everything you tell them entirely secret. So if you said that you killed someone then they are not allowed to tell that to anyone.

The police are monitoring this site for any such activity such as this question you have just posted so good luck in court.

Luke M
Rating
they won't tell the police but they will tell the police if the police asks him.

Rocket
Rating
omg did you kill someone?

They all have a legal 'duty of care' so they have to do the best thing for their professional code.

I think they would have to turn you in...that is the law!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can a college professor do that? Is he really God?
I was told a story today about a professor at my university.

This guy thinks he's God. He's been actually quoted saying it several times. In his class, he does whatever he ...

If a woman constantly screams and shouts at children do you think this is abuse?
There are 3 children oldest 6 yrs youngest 15 months. The woman never stops from early morning until late at night. If this was a man doing it to a woman the Police would be called, so why should ...

Should there be a fine for wearing baggy pants?
Officals in Dallas,Texas are considering giving a fine to people who wear those baggy pants that leave buttocks and underwear exposed in public.Should this be imposed ,if so, how much should the fine ...

Can she file charges against me?
I was dating this guy and he was cheating on me with a girl i used to know. So i told her he was a cheater and showed her pictures to prove it. I told her that she better not kick him out (He was ...

Why do 'law enforcement officers' question suspects without a lawyer present and think it's 'OK'?

How do you feel about the Democrats wanting to raise the minimum wage to $7.25 over the next two years?

Should everyone be entitled to health care whether they can afford it or not? Who should pay for the ones?
Should everyone be entitled to health care whether they can afford it or not? Who should pay for the ones who cannot afford health care?...

Marriage under the age of 18 help?
My boyfriend's parents are very loving with me, and would support me and my significant other through mostly anything, including the following.
Chapter 741 (b): Marriage, Domestic Violence: ...

Does my ex have legal rights to his belongings if he left it at my house when we broke up?
My boyfriend and I lived together for about a month and but he was caught cheating and I kicked him out. Now he wants his clothes that I bought for him but he left in my house. And he wants to call ...

Cannabis??
I hear that they are planning on putting cannabis back to a class B drug? which carries a maximum 5 year jail sentance?

in my opinion i feels that this is just stupid as they are ...

Is Hunting on the same moral level as Dogfighting?
Enough people are going off on Vick already, but I saw today one of his laywer's arguments. Basically, he said that Vick's crime was that he was cruel to dogs, but that shooting and ...

What office to get birthcertificate lost mine?

Do you think this is fair?
My little brother broke into the house behind us a few months ago and was caught. So, in the process two windows were broken, and now the owner wants them replaced. I think thats very fair, she could ...

Survey should teens vote yes or no?

Additional Details
also please post ur answer in the other category in the politics section under the question Should teenagers (13-17) be allowed to vote yes or ...

Privacy laws-how can i stop my ex recording me?
Can you please tell me if there are any laws out there that I can have my ex-husband charged with?
I have just found out that he is taping my conversations in the house in the hope that he can ...

NOT REELY A QUESTION...but read and commet!?
ok....peeps out there....agree to this.....

shouldnt rapist and molesters and kidnappers be arrested and charged like a death penalty or somtin!? i meen, the guys let peeps bale them bad ...

Smoking ban?
I don't really understand it... all the smokers are getting worked up... whats it all about? where is the ban enforced? I hope it stops people smoking in lines and blowing it everywhere... lol<...

Can a young teenager get life in prison or the electric chair for doing a historically terrible crime?
teen meaning 13-15
Additional Details
I'm not a teen, I''m 37 but just curious.

I am studying for my next degree....

Should all babies be micro-chipped minutes after birth today?
Insurance companies reward owners of high performance cars who have sat nav and other tracking devices.

What's more important than a child?

I refer to the Mystery of the ...

If i see an item wrongly priced in a shop ie 50 pence instead of 50 pound, can i insist on the lower price?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links