Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

If you shoot to kill a person but it turns out he was already dead. Can you be charged with a crime?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you shoot to kill a person but it turns out he was already dead. Can you be charged with a crime?

Say you walked into the backyard shot s/he 5 times but an autopsy proves they had died of a heartattack 6 hours earlier.

and,or,nand,nor
Rating
You leave your house with a loaded gun... You are on your way to kill Bob. On your way there, you accidentally hit a pedestrian and kill him... As it turns out, It was Bob!

Murder?

Premeditation?
Intent?

You were intending on killing him, and he is now dead at your hand!

munchkin
Rating
I would say yes. If youTHOUGHT they were alive at the time of the shooting but didnt know they were dead I say you are a murderer regardless. Intent was to murder-and they would almost for sure be dead even if you didnt know they were already. A murderer is what you are- no question in my mind.Besides if they were dead and you knew it and shot them anyway would make you a sick puppy in my book

antmanbee
Mutilating a corpse is a crime. I don't know how big a crime. But it is.

peternal
Only in your conscience...

ariadne_oliver
Rating
If he was dead because he was murdered, you could be charged with tampering with a crime scene. You could also be charged with defacing a body, or perhaps even attempted murder.

witchtriumvirate
It would never stick. If they really bother you, just demand that you didn't know the gun was loaded. :)

Lucky
Rating
Attempted Homicide
Discharging a firearm in a residential area
Disturbing the peace
Disturbing a crime scene
Waisting finite resources (copper/lead/gun powder)
Improper target aquisition

fartman
YES,

shoshidad
Attempted murder. Factual impossibility (he was already dead) is not a defense to attempted murder.
Other, minor offenses involving use of a gun, if appropriate in that jurisdiction.
Offenses regarding mutilation of a dead body or disturbing a crime scene do not appear to be well founded. Mutilation of a dead body requires knowledge that the body is dead. The location was not a crime scene until the shooting made it one. It was undisturbed afterward.

j_chan9
yup

Pineapple Hat
Yes, several crimes.

Gartenzwerg
Rating
Unlawful discharge of a firearm.
Mutilation/ disfiguring a dead body
Conspiracy to commit murder
and probably falsifying testimony to a police officer/ court because you would never admit that you wanted to kill the person, but didnt know they had already died.

jonniesgurl777
Rating
that is known as abuse of a corpse. not a nice charge to have on your record.

viablerenewables
Rating
Need more info. Was the person your spouse & the person that poisoned them you were having an affair with.

zeus_daughter2
Rating
Nope you can;t kill the dead.

abroad121458
Rating
Do you anticipate the situation as described ever coming up? I am not a doctor but, 6 hours after death, rigormortis may have set in. Have you found any cadavers propped in your yard lately?

Shashie
I am sure intent to kill and or firing a weapon would present charges of some type.

jgmafb
Rating
It's called mutilating a corspe.

death_cab_driver_5005
i believe that is attempted murder unless he or she knwos that the other person is dead

old66
Rating
maybe unlawful discharge of a firearm
endangering others
carelessness & recklessness with a firearm
no murder charge but was he really dead?
could be close
or interfering with a crime location

MP US Army
Attempted Murder (you tried to kill him)
Wreckless Discharge of a fire arm
Criminal Trespass (if it is not your back yard)

kristincoburn21
Rating
Wow... what a question. I was watching one of those court shows on tv one night and they had a case where they were tryin to figure out if some guy had died from a heartattact before he was shot, cause if it was the heartattact that killed him, they would not be charged with the murder but would be charged for attemped murder

Out of commission
Maybe tampering with a dead body? There's some weird law like offering an indignity to a dead body or something like that.

slatka_zeka
Rating
Ummm Good Luck!

thumper
Rating
Not murder but other laws like defiling a corpse comes to mind.

Texas Cowboy
How can you kill a dead guy?
What charge can they convict you for if you shoot dead meat?
It maybe good target practice but no crime.

mikewolcott
Rating
One crime - depending up the gun - being registered or not.

ThereseRose
Rating
I would think it would still be investigated as to why you had a need to shoot the person that many times.

Kenny
Probably attempted murder, because hey, you did TRY to kill him right?

jackdinah
Rating
Yes but I forget the legal term.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I have heard that we are legally obliged to carry a minimum amount of cash on us at all times. Is this true ?

Why does America STILL have the death penalty?

Additional Details
"The death penalty is the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment. It violates the right to life. It is irrevocable and can be inflicted on the innocent....

Smoking - Prohabition?
Should there be a 'TOTAL' ban on smokin?

Do you agree with the new ban on smoking in workplaces and in public.

What are 'YOUR VIEWS' on this subject?
<...

Is it illegal to throw stuff from tall buildings?
i visited seattle last month and we went to the space needle. my friends and i pretended to be snipers and we flicked some coins off the top deck. now i wonder if it actually hurt anyone who happend ...

I got served papers by my ex-bf parents... PLEASE HELP!!!!?
I got Served papers from my ex boyfriends parents. He's in Prison, We broke up, I lived in their apartment for a while until last march. Now they are trying to get $2100 from me!! I don't ...

Driving a drunk friend home when you and him are minors illegal?
Well I was wondering, say, if me and my friend go to a party, and he gets drunk and I'm sober. If I give him a ride to his house and get pulled over going there, can I get in trouble if he is ...

If three teenagers commit a crime, two girls and one boy. Who should be charged?
Last fall, here in Buffalo, NY two teenage girls (both 15) and one teenage boy (16) went to a Christian church and with spray paint vadalized the church with "LONG LIVE THE ATHEISTS" ... ...

Why are black employees allowed to bully whites on the job without real consequence?

Should Abortion be illegal?
In the situation that They Forgot to use Protection....

I have to know! How long do you get put in prison for child rape?

If someone broke in your house and tried to harm your family but you stopped him?
and accidentally killed him, would you be done for murder or would the courts see it as self defence?...

Ex not willing to share custody?
have a young child and my attorney advised that i would only be able to get joint legal with good visitation for the first few years. the soon to be ex however, believes that she will get sole ...

At what age should I stop opening my 13 yr old's post/letters?

11 pence per pack of twenty are we smokers being ripped off? what do you think???

What happens if you get caught with weed?
Say, you get caught with a pound of marijuana - what do you get?...

Do you think all those who voted George Bush for President, should be charged as accessories to war crimes?
There has to be accountability, for the atrocities in Iraq and Afganistan....

What do you think of the Wal-Mart shoplifter's being made to wear a sign saying "I am a thief?"?
Details at http://www.msnbc.com/id/...

Why do smokers keep banging on about their rights!?
What about the rights of a non smoker to enjoy clean air in pubs and enclosed spaces! Let's face it, I can stand next to a drinking alcholic without my health being affected at all, but if I ...

I pay child support on my own without a court order. If no order since birth will I have to pay when he is 18?
I pay child support on my own without a court order. Since the child has been born no court order has been established. When the child turns 18 years of age can I stop payment legally....

Can I be charged and arrested for this?
Suppose I hang out in an alley way and sell my friends bags of sugar. And a cop comes by, can he arrest and charge me for this?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, April 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links