Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is Hannibal Lecter based on a real person?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is Hannibal Lecter based on a real person?

M.C. Screwdriver
Rating
no he's not here is a little something you can find out more ...
"Hannibal Lecter is a fictional character in a series of novels by author Thomas Harris. Lecter is introduced in the 1981 thriller novel Red Dragon as a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer. This novel and its sequel, The Silence of the Lambs, feature Lecter as one of two primary antagonists. In the third novel, Hannibal, Lecter becomes the main character. His role as protagonist continues into the fourth novel, Hannibal Rising, which explores his childhood and development into a serial killer. Lecter's character also appears in all five film adaptations. The first movie, Manhunter, was loosely based on Red Dragon, and features Brian Cox as Lecter, inexplicably spelled as "Lecktor". In 2002, a second adaptation of Red Dragon was made under the original title, featuring Anthony Hopkins, who had previously played Lecter in the motion pictures The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. Hopkins won an Academy Award for his representation of the character in The Silence of the Lambs in 1991."
i would also like to add at the mention of ed gein :

"The story of Ed Gein has had a lasting impact on popular culture as evidenced by its many appearances in movies, music and literature. Gein's story was adapted into a number of movies including Stephen Johnston's In the Light of the Moon, later to be retitled Ed Gein for the US market[7] as well as Ed Gein: The Butcher of Plainfield and Deranged. [8] Gein also influenced the nature of characters such as film killer Buffalo Bill (The Silence of the Lambs), Norman Bates (Psycho)[9], and Leatherface (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre).

Gein's influence can also be seen by the number of musical groups drawing inspiration from his crimes. There are a number of songs written about Gein including Blind Melon's "Skinned", [10] Macabre's "Ed Gein", [11], Mudvayne's "Nothing to Gein", and Slayer's "Dead Skin Mask", to name a few. In addition, a number of band names were derived from Gein including a band by the name of Ed Gein and a New York punk band by the name of Ed Gein's Car. Gidget Gein, a former bassist for the band Marilyn Manson even derived his stage name from Ed Gein. The band Plainfield, which includes the drummer and bassist of Mr. Bungle, took their name from the town that Gein lived and murdered in."

so he did inspire buffalo bill who made the movies silence of the lambs, but not actually based on him.

trey3113
Rating
the character Hanibal is based on several people, but none that are decidedly similar to the character.

sugarbritches
Rating
no he is a work of fiction. i do however the behaviors exhibited by him and those in books about him are compilations/synopsis of various real life serial killers i.e buffalo bill in SOTHL(ed gein) hannibal lecter (andre chikatilov,jeffrey dahmer) enough serial killer talk i'l have nightmares LOL

dad of four
Rating
Loosely based on several people- he's a composite of several notorious monsters-
Ed Gein- Plainfeild Ill. serial killer/canibal from late 50's.
Hitler- You've heard of him
Sigmond Freoud- Can't remember his name spelling, but he was considered a genius, like Hannibal very wise.
Ted Bundy- Another serial killer, from 70's though.

smcgilli
Rating
No, though Buffalo Bill the serial killer in Silence of the Lambs was.

JOHN
Rating
Actually, yes. or more precisely, a few real serial killers.
The most focus was on Buffalo Bill. He was from Wisconsin. He used to skin women alive and use their skin to upholster his furniture.

bigclaire
No, but I heard Buffalo Bill is based on Ed Gein.

gr8advice
Yes he is.

eddy8901
Rating
yeah he is based off denis rodman... nice wikiapedia refrence too thats real factional

massked m
Yes he is.
His name is ,or i should say was Eddie Gien a wisconsin farmer who ate human organs and tanned skin for clothing and skull and bone for furniture

tongue in cheek
yeah - rumsfeld

valgalallen
Rating
yes he was

Natalie O
Rating
I've heard that he was loosely based on a serial killer from Wisconsin named Ed Geen (spelling?)

asdfghjkl;
Rating
NO hes fictional.

songndance1999
i remember something about him in history. Something about elephants and the alps...

walmart_security
Rating
just a movie

Amber W
Most Definetly google it and you will see

angie_skaterchic
Rating
He's a fictional character.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I sue my marriage counselor........?
......for reading things from my file to my wife that was said in a private session with another counselor that works at the same place. Actually, she did more damage then she helped. She told my ...

Gordan Brown getting tough on 16-17 yr olds with knives on them?
Ive just heard on TV that one of the reasons kids have knives on them is because they are afraid, whats your view, to me that seems stupid, they have knives on them to feel big and cause trouble. The ...

If you could make anything legal or illegal what would it be?
If you had the power to make something legal that isn't what would it be? How about if you could make something illegal that is currently legal? And why?...

I met an ugly guy,but when I found out he was VERYrich,it made him look more attractive to me . Is this wrong?
I had no intention of dating him til I found out he owned gold and diamond mines. (Yes it's true)

Am I wrong to want him more after I found out he has $$$...

What do you think of these stupid UK laws?
1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down
3. It is illegal for a ...

Is it legal to evict only one tenant from an apartment?
My sister got mad and talked our landlords into evicting ONLY me from our apartment for my boyfriend being there (he doesn't even live there; these are false allegations).

Is this ...

Are my parents allowed to take my car away from me, it's mine?
This car is mine, my name is on the title and so is my grandma's name.

My dad has said stuff like he will never let me have it back, not going to support me anymore, and many other ...

Should it be illegal to:?
Should it be illegal to smoke in a car with kids in it?
Why or why not?

There is a petition to get a law voted upon, in Ohio making it illegal to smoke with kids in the car. It is ...

What do u think about abortion?
Should we legalize it? Is it moral?
Additional Details
hey I'm just asking this thing out for a survey..please don't fight out guys..=)...

Would I be violating any federal, state or local laws if I did the following?
The tax appraiser for my county has aerial maps attached to their website, where one can view their property as it's seen from the air. I believe they update these photos every few years, ...

I have been robbed!!!?
the other day i woke up to find that everything in my house was stolen and replaced with an exact replica.
what should i do?...

How do you go about grassing up a dug dealer/user?
my next door neighbour has spread lies to my landlord telling him that the house in a state. im very houseproud and shes spreading lies because she sees we spend time as a family and all she looks ...

Because the UPS truck driver carelessly ran over my elderly dog in MY PRIVATE driveway, is UPS liable?
He was also afflicted with aurthritis and was recovering from a leg injury. The guy was driving like your typical UPS driver this time of year. It was in a confined space and he hit him as soon as he ...

Are smokers really that bad? (Or SMOKERS vs CARNIVORES.)?
I just came across a question from "returnofkarlos", asking "Will the smoking ban in England make you kick the habit?".

"elaine692981" commented:
".....

Would you say, that Abortion Doctors, are Serial Killers?
Many people do not think that killing babies is a crime...It's funny to me, that if they didn't abort them, then they would go on to grow up and be adults.
That being said...
W...

Do you think that pregnant women found guilty of crimes should be executed?

What do i do with a fake £20 note?
I went to sainsburys last night and when i went to pay i took out a £20 note and i handed it too the cashier.
She looked at it and said im sorry but i cant accept this because its fake.
Soo ...

Do u think Israel was wrong for bombing Lebanon,which hosts terrorists?

Now theres the new smoking law, is it ilegal to smoke around your own children in your own home?

Should it be illegal to own or fly the confererate flag in America?
It is illegal to burn the American flag, because that amounts to a desecration. That is according to many politicians. By that same logic, shouldn't the possession of a confederate flag be ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links