Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is cheating when you are married actually against the law?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is cheating when you are married actually against the law?

Additional Details
I am not married. I am just curious.

whizzbangdood
Rating
Marriage is undertaken as a promise to NOT cheat......why marry if youre not really into the marriage part of it? Plus adultrey is grounds for divorce so why cheat? either way youre not committed to the one you married in the first place so ........youre a skanky hoe bwahahaha.........

salee anabee
Rating
depends on where u live

penydred
in the military it is....

jb
Rating
no,unless you are married to a high court judge

steven e
Rating
yes.

Sunidaze
In some places, adultery is very much against the law...and if these places so chose to pursue, the punishments can be quite tough. Not to mention, i seem to recall several years back a wife in NC sued her husband's lover for the affair and won a substantial amount of money.

Jen G
In some places

betterthanme
not in australia but its still wrong

Tadpoler
Rating
Do you live in the US? If so, in some states there are law against cheating. In most states now there is no fault divorce so cheating does not matter.

There are also some states that have old laws on the books that would allow you to sue the spouse and/or cheater.

o
Against the moral law, if you go by one.

Taffd
Rating
It''ll get you stoned to death in some countries.

Sweetpea
Rating
Only if you can name the person and prove alienation of affections. But no.

Loftitright
Rating
Yes, in most states, but, it is very rarely enforced.

don c
Rating
Twenty-six states continue to have anti-adultery laws on the books.

http://www.slate.com/id/1063/

Worked
There is no law in England and Wales that states that cheating when you are married is a criminal offence. It may be a civil offence only if you have made a contract with the other promising not to cheat. If you breach that contract, then the other can sue for damages.

Mr. Morden
Rating
If you're not legally married then it can't legally be considered adultery. That's a secular view. The church may view it differently.

crankyissues
Adultry. Ever heard of it? Yes, it's illegal.

LYNNSGARETHS
Rating
i dont think its against the law but it is a horrible thing to do.

vdv_desantnik
Rating
not in the UK but go to Saudi Arabia and you get flogged in public for it

Enigma
Not enforceable anymore... why are you considering it or seeking action against it.

It is not a criminal offense. Divorce settles disputes civilly.

Mrkvica20
Rating
Don't think so, but it is against your vows and against God!!!>>which is way worse then the law

leshawatts2002
No it isn't against the law but it can hurt you in divorce court! LOL

LadyG
Infidelity is grounds for divorce, but not illegal.

smithers
When I'm at the end of my life I do not want to be thinking ' I wonder what it would have been like to swing from those wondrous Knockers? To be honest it would be great and I must find her again before rheumatism sets in and I canny hang on for long!!
Being single is to be in a constant state of expectancy, a good feeling, a warm feeling, a tingly feeling..excuse me for a minute.

manforallseasons
Rating
Yes, of course, and where you are caught cheating, we send the ****-slapping police around.

luv books
Rating
Against the law or grounds for divorce?

Most states have no-fault divorces these days because proving adultery is nearly impossible. That said, many marriages end in divorce due to adultery by one, or both partners.

Cheating, however, is a different question altogether. Is it legal to cheat (as in your tax returns?) while married or single?

blacks
I think so because you registered you wife only and not those you have been cheating with so i think its against the law that why some ppl are being punished for cheating by the law.

angelktb5684
Not in this country or else there would be millions of more people in jail.

rrm38
Rating
Adultery isn't illegal in the US. It is, however, an offense that's potentially punishable by incarceration for military personnel. Also, some states permit "alienation of affection" lawsuits in which a spouse, or ex-spouse, can sue the lover of their spouse or ex-spouse. This type of case, however, would be civil and not criminal.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should the UK bring back Hanging for people like Huntley who murder inocent children?
where there is no question of inocence and horrific crimes have been commited, surely it would be better and more economical for the country to hang offenders rather than give them free board and ...

What would happen if an underaged person.....?
was caught smoking?
Like a cigarett?
like a 13yr old.
Thanks!
Sincerely, ME!
=-]]]]]]
Additional Details
By the ...

Straight or Gay?
I'm doing a college research paper on the public's opinion of gay marriage. What's your view...are you for it or against it?

Thanks for you help with my paper....

When Does Child Support End?
Is there ever a time when child support ends when the ex-wife gets remarried or even then does the ex-husband still have to pay? Because I am just curious that my friend's parents are divorced ...

Guns....Yes or No?
Do you think that a person should be allowed to own a gun if the person is liscensed and the gun is registered ? I think they should....

Who thinks maryjuana should be legal in califorina?
i smoke weed and i think that it is horrable that it is illigal oh im 15 years ...

Is it illegal to bury people in your garden?
i am just wondering if a person is declared dead is it legal to bury them in your back garden??...

When a kid gets arrested are they put in the same holding cell as adults?

IS this REALLY stealing?
Its been about three times already that I have gone to the store and the cashier forgets to scan and charge me for certain items. The items are in plain sight not hidden or stuffed somewhere. I am ...

Hello what happens if you dont eat food for 1 whole day?????
help help ...

Which do you view as worse: Pot or Liquor?
Yes, pot is illegal, and liquor isn't, but don't you think there's another reason for that? Think about it: People die from alcohol poisoning all the time. How many people have EVER ...

Is it illegal to strike someone when they say something racist?
if i cant strike them, hows about turning them into to the cops? can they be arrested for saying racist remarks?...

How far are you allowed to go to stop a robber in your home if you feel threatend by him/her?
Will you be prosecuted?
Additional Details
I'm in the UK, for those who wondered....

Why am I so ashamed of my Country America that I claim alliegiance with Al Qaeda and others it calls enemies?
I have no criminal record, I am an honorably discharged veteran with 4.0 evaluations, I am not racist nor am I islamic, I am a white christian male who has a record of helping others in soceity so ...

Why do people think minimum wage is $6.75?

Is there anyone in the US that can make a living for four on $7.25 an Hour?
Our new Congress voted in the min. wage increase. It will rise to 7.25 next two years. Congress voted themselves three raises before ever raising min. wage. I am a Democrat and voted these guys into ...

Does anyone agree with me that Islam is evil?
Or even more interesting, does any Muslim want to kill me for thinking that?.... not that you'd be honest and admit it here... because you're allowed to lie to unbelievers, for one thing. T...

A man is about to be put to death. A family member is overcome w/ anger kills him do u charge them w/ murder?
Seems unlikely but in a theoretical setting if this happened do you charge them with murder?
Additional Details
better yet would a jury convict them....

I'm getting suspended.....?
OK. My teacher called my house today and talked to my mom about drawing pictures.. (My friend did it and I am getting framed) Laughing at dead people (I havent.) I am innocent and now I have ...

Should they bring back in the death penalty??
whats your views???...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links