Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it illegal for a 16 year old to learn to drive in an empty car park at night (supervised)?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal for a 16 year old to learn to drive in an empty car park at night (supervised)?

Additional Details
ok. If I am not on a public road then I am not commiting an offence by driving (as this only applies to public roads). If I am in a private car park, then I may be tresspassing but that is a separate issue and one for the civil courts.

What if it is a coucil owned car park?

?
No. It is private property.

elijahyossie
Rating
You would be guilty of no insurance for a start. The Road Traffic Act 1988, section 143 makes it an offence to use, cause or permit to be used a motor vehicle on a road or other public place when there is not force a policy of insurance or security against third party risks.

A car park is, by definition, a public place, in almost all cases. It might well also be a road, and therefore it would be an offence under the RTA 1988 s. 87.

Setanta
In the UK it is against the law to operate a car without a full or provisional driving licence, which must be on your person at the time.

You cannot get a provisional driving licence until you are 17 years old (you can apply two months before your 17th birthday), unless you are in receipt of the high rate of Disability Living Allowance, in which case you could have a provisional licence while you are 16 years old.

Additionally, you must display L-plates and be accompanied by a 'responsible adult', who is at least 21 years of age who has had a full driving licence for at least three years.

Having said that, many people do it - parents teach their kids in empty car parks and similar areas all the time. Good luck.

Jackie M
It's illegal if it's a public car park and you'd need permission if it a private one

davidmi711
If you have all of the following:
1. A learners permit
2. You meet the requirements of driving with the permit (hours, persons with you, etc)
3. Permission of the property owner to be on the property. Many parking lots and park-and-ride lots are posted to specifically prohibit drivers education on the lot.
4. Permission to be operating the vehicle you are driving.

3thinker
Rating
Sure as long as you have permission from the land owner and the car park only has one entrance.

Car parks with more that one entrance are classed as highways.

Nutty Girl
Rating
with no insurance and no license yes its illegal only if was private property would it be ok say it was your land that is ok

Sunny Day
You can only drive on private property with the owners permission

Perfectionist
Rating
yes it is illegal

king_tots
Rating
if you don't have a permit, then yes it is illegal, even on a closed parking lot, and even that can be considered private property, and you can be trespassing on the property, which is illegal also.

Josh
Legally, you're supposed to have a learner's permit first. That gives you the ability to legally drive whilst supervised.

BlackSheep
If you were on your own farm, you would be o.k, but not in the public domain.

Phil McCracken
Rating
Trespass is not a crime in England, it is a civil taut.

Anyway, a person of any age may drive on private land to which the public is excluded. This does not include the car park at Asda, but if you owned a large home with land, the 16yo (or younger) could legally drive in that area.

david b
Rating
it is private property if you have permission from the land owner you could let 6yr old drive there. if you do not have permission you are trespassing but the only thing the police can do is tell you to get off. Traffic laws do not apply to private property. As long as you dont let him tear around like a tw@t the police wont waste their time.

NORMAN W
Rating
It is illegal. If you were to drive on private land to which the public didn't have access, then it would be OK. That is providing you had the permission of the land owner.

You wouldn't even have to supervised, there no legal requirmements.

Hollie-Raie's Mummy!
Rating
yes because its not your property. if you had a field or something then you could. you can drive on private land but to drive in an empty carpark is illegal

sawyer
of course its illegal. but if u dont get caught.......... then keep driving!.. dont worry i did that too

Lisa
Rating
If you live in the UK then
yes its illegal as its still public road REGARDLESS of if its empty or not
the only way you can do it and not get in any trouble is if its on your own private land
and at 16 I'm guessing you don't own any land

Lavrenti Beria
Maybe, depends on if there are no trespassing signs posted. If the cops come by just tell them what you are doing.

lilswiss2002
It's not illegal if you have your learner's permit.
If you don't, then it is.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I was called for a interview, but I need to know if you have a felony that is 15 years old, will you hire me.?
I was charged with welfare fraud back in 1992, and I did my probation and completed every thing and have not been in any trouble since then....

Why is "under god" in the pledge of allegience?
every now and then at school we do the pledge of allegience. im the only one in the whole class who does not stand up. the teacher then starts asking me why im not doing it and tells me to do it and ...

Whats it called when a man lives off the prison system? doesn't comit bad crimes but ones that score jail time
one who doesn't want to get a real job or real work and just use the system as an escape. whats that called?...

When should a father stop paying child support , when his son or daughter turn 18 or when the courts say so?

What exactly is "reverse racism?"?
Why is it called "reverse racism" when people hate or discriminate against whites people. Isn't hating another race simply racism regardless of what race the haters or the hated are?...

If my finger prints were taken, will they always be on file?
My fingerprints were taken as a stalker victim, with several damaged properties of mine. I know they wanted to know if I was doing it to myself for attention (good lord). Anyways, are my finger ...

Is the death penalty considered cruel and nusual punishment under the U.S. constitution?

Does your Social Security No. have your age in it?
Does your SSN have your age in it?...

Do you think that cigarette smokers should be allowed to smoke in public areas?
Tell me what you think!
Additional Details
Okay, would some one who actually is a REAL deal cigarette train like to answer my question? OBVIOUSLY smoking out side makes sense to you non- ...

DO u know of any muslim legal and illegal migrant without car tax, MOT and driving licence driving?
driving in the uk like his ****ing father owned the place and even after reporting to the police they will not get caught and if they do are not jailed?The police have been told secretly to let the ...

I have an 18 year old daughter in jail for fighting with boy friend dont have money to get her out need help?
The boyfriend was trying to help get her out of jail but the bail bonds person he gave me was a scam that took the money and ran is there anyone who can tell me how to get some kind of help to get ...

Should marjiuna be legalized?

Why should rapist be punished?
I know they did deserve it but two wrongs don't make a right.
Additional Details
You all are not undrestand the question. Of course I will want to punish a rapist what you think I ...

Why hate Heather Mills McCartney for telling us the truth?
Heather Mills McCartney is not mad she is merely highlighting what can happen to any woman who divorces someone with enough money and connections to turn a divorce into a nightmare from Dante's I...

What are the Consequences of blackmail?
i want to know what the Consequences of blackmail are because this person is threatening me with it and i want to know how much trouble they will get ...

Traffic Violation? Honest Response?
Check this out: I recieved a ticket in the mail from the new camera systems operating at the traffic intersections. It took pictures of my car running a red light. I did not remember running a red ...

What has been the worst atrocity committed by man - ever?
Some people believe that the Hitler's "final solution" was bad, some believe Stalin's purges were evil, some suggest that salvery was the worst; but what do you think?...

Are you for capital punishment or not?
This is just a survey......

Should the drinking age be lowered to 18?
I'm doing an essay in English about why the drinking age should be lowered to 18. Also, have any of you ever done something because you knew you WEREN'T supposed to do it? I need answers to ...

My ex boyfriend is threatening to release intimate photos of me what can i do?
we were together for 3 years and we recently split up, hes hear rumours off people that i cheated on him which i didnt and now he is threatening to send out these photos of me is there anything i can ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links