Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it illegal to burn down your own house?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to burn down your own house?

Not to collect insurance money. Maybe because you want to use the land for farming, or just because you're rich and want to do it for fun. What about if you know you're about to be found guilty of a crime and you know they government is going to take your assests?

Heh, i swear Im not in this position. I just read an article about a criminal who had to forfeit his house, and the thought crossed my mind.
Additional Details
I can't believe this got 92 answers.

allsthrnlady
If it's for farming or something of that nature, no it's not illegal. I'm not sure what's required in your state in regards to burning permits, but in Arkansas all that is needed is to contact the fire department and tell them of your intentions and when you plan to do this. You may want to contact the mayor's office or Prosecuting Attorney's office and find out what your legal rights are in your area.
As far as foreclosures, criminal investigations or something of that nature, it would definitely be illegal.

elysialaw
Rating
You would need a permit at the very least.

And yah, if you are ordered to forefit your home, it is no longer your home.

lalablurp
Rating
If they had to forfeit their house, then the house was somebody else's property. So, to burn it down would be bad, yes.

Archangel
Rating
It's called arson...even if it's yours. Same applies to a car. So that criminal that has forfeit his house just added a few more years to his/her sentence. The main reason it's a crime is that once a fire starts, you have no idea where it's going to go...your neighbors homes...forests...whatever..and can cause the death of someone.

laughter_every_day
Many cities prohibit open fires of any sort, including piles of leaves and houses. In addition, if one has a mortgage, most mortgages have a clause prohibiting willful damage to the home and so the mortgage would become due immediately. If the fire spread, then the charge would be arson. However, there is no universal law that specifically prohibits burning a home.

Mike
Rating
It probably varies by city and county. I doubt that it would be legal to burn down your house in in a big city since it would jeopardize the safety of others. I also doubt that it would be legal in areas that are prone to forest fires also.

I would check with your local city and county laws.

Roger M
Rating
yes it is illegal

it is a danger to others

Get a permit if serious

Lttlehrse
Rating
Promise me you'll never have children.

Nathan W
It would create air pollution from burning paint, carpets, plastic, roofing material, etc. no way that would be legal.

IgnoranceIsYou
Rating
Burning down buildings is a lot easier to do then standard demolition. Guess why they don't do it? It's dangerous. I doubt you could even get a permit to do such a thing.

mark h
contact your local fire dept FIRST. they can use your house for training purposes. if you dont? youll have a lot of explaining to do

kennycampbell7
Rating
Yep, it is definitly against the law to burn down your own house. It is arson in the 1st degree.

NeoNerd
You have the right of use and abuse of your own prperty - you can estroy it if you want. The exception is arson, mainly because you could set fire to the houses near you too.

michelob86
No, as long as you don't try to collect insurance on it, or that it doesn't damage someone else's property.

If you know the government is going to possess the property, that is different. That would be illegal. That's avoiding a fine payment.

I know of a famous basketball player that just built a new house. His wife found out he was cheating. The only things in the house were some of his trophies and professional mementos. She burnt the place down. He didn't file any insurance claims and didn't press charges against his wife....he just rebuilt the place.

Marvin the Martian
Rating
I may know of some parties that had a old and quite dilapidated house on a large piece of otherwise empty property. This house, if it did exist, was of no value and not insured.

These parties would have hypothetically cleared back all vegetation from the structure and hypothetically doused it with gasoline. Had this actually happened they would have started the fire in the latter afternoon, so that most of the burn would happen at twilight, thus, hypothetically, making the two signatures of a fire, the flame, and the smoke, least likely to be detected.

Keith V
Now childrun, drugs are bad.

King Midas
Yes it is illegal for you to do it, but you can get the fire department to do it for you. The reason being is a fire can get out of control and you could damage someone else property

CHRISTOPHER R
Yes it is. Unless you can obtain a permit to do it. Then you have to pay for the fire department to stand by while they do it for you.

If you just do it on your own you can get arrested for arson and reckless endangerment.

ladydreamer24
Yes it is considered Arson. No matter if you own it or not.

Steven P
yes

Proud to be an AMERICAN
Yes. It's a safety hazard.

krollohare2
Rating
At common law it was illegal to burn your own house down because to do so meant that you were endangering your neighbor's property.

Though not strictly called "arson" back then, "house burning" was a felony and you could be hanged or beheaded for it.

However, if you insist on burning your own house down, provided there are no mortgages on it, you aren't doing it for the insurance money, its in the middle of sand dunes; and by burning it you will not release toxic fumes into the atmosphere, endanger other peoples' homes and properties, and you get a burn permit, well have at it.

Asmarino
Definitely you will not be charged of common law arson as it requires "...burning of another persons dwelling", yet you will be responsible for attempt/endangering your neighbor’s houses as it can be reasonably foreseen that the fire can be transmitted to your neighbor.

However, you might be criminally held under house burning-a misdemeanor crime.

See also if your state also has some provision to impose criminal liability on burning one's house.

If you try to claim insurance or if you owe a mortgage on the house-you will be still liable.

Well if you want to do it for fun or for farming you need a permit from the citiy same when you need to construct ot renovate a building-they want to meke sure it will be done properly;-)

Republicans: politically spent
i could not imagine how it would be legal unless you were in construction and you were in the process of building a replacement building. But to torch a building for the "hell" of it I can hardly think is legal and would not fly in court

Amanda F
Rating
It is against the law. In the past some people would burn their house down out of anger, sadness and frustration if it was going to be repossessed.

larry h
Rating
yes,, you must get the home condemned and unlivable /unfix-able and donate it to the fire department to burn for training

jlf
Rating
Yes, unless it is permitted by the local government as an acceptable means of demolition.

Ed
Yep, You will have to get a permit and the fire dept will have to be informed and many of the materials in the construction of the house you won't be allowed to burn. You better check with DEHEC before you burn anything or you may face federal charges.

Effin Engineer's ☮
They didn't need permits to drop bldg 7 of the wtc on 9/111, so I DON'T SEE WHY YOU CAN'T DROP A TINY HOUSE!

sassy2
Arson is arson So yes. If you owned the property and wanted to burn it for clearing the lot you would have to make arrangements with the fire dept. If permission granted, you pay the fire dept. to standby.
this is called a controlled burn and is use in rural areas
It is not cheap.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you think it's ok for second cousins to date or marry?
just curious b/c my friend's aunt recently got married to her second cousin..& strangely enough it's legal in every state in the ...

Should the voting age be lowered to 16?
do u think teens will pick the right person? or should the age stay the same as it is now?...

I got an email from a guy in s.africa who needs to send me $10M, however he wants me to send $20k first...?
...for administration purposes.

Now he is from the Oil Sector, and that industry does have that kind of money, so do you think I'd be 'covering all my bases' if I just sent ...

Would this be considered rape?
Okay this has been irking me for a year. When I was 15 I was a virgin at the time and I was dating a guy who was 18. We were in the back of his car making out. Is it going too far if he pushed me ...

If you were murdered in cold blood how many years in prison would you want your murderer to serve?
Or would it be the death penalty?
Additional Details
Ha Ha! I'm laughing my *** off reading the answers that say "You'd be dead so couldn't decide" you're ...

Court rejects death penalty for raping children?
what do you think about that?

"The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in his majority opinion. His four ...

Should alcohol be banned in the united states?

Is this against the law?
okay, i highly doubt i am in the wrong here but tell me what you think please.
My brothers ex girlfriend lived with him at my mothers house, she had a dog, and they broke up, she left, she also ...

Does anybody feel bad for Suddam Huisain?
or do you feel some sympathy for how he was killed. do you think he deserved to be hung or should he hav died maybe a different way....

Legal or Not?
Is it illegal for a company to hire someone, then fire them 2 weeks later for the back ground check. Even if the application says nothing about misdemeanors, it only asks about felonies. He doesn'...

I'm 14 I was molested by an "Uncle" (family friend) almost 6 years ago?
can I still press charges or take him to court or is it to late. And what are the odd's of him spending jail time. No one knows about what he did to me....

If a woman wears heels & bright lipstick, is that a reason for rape?
Women in a northern Malaysian city ruled by conservative Islamists are being urged to forsake bright lipstick and noisy high heels in an effort to preserve their dignity and avoid rape.

S...

Death Penalty: yea or nay?
And please explain why you are for or against it....

How does one go about legally changing their name?
i want to get a full name change but i'm not sure where to go about doing it. i live in maryland in case that's helpful. no i'm not trying to hide from creditors or anything, more ...

Do You Think Marijuana Should Be Legalized?
I 100% support the legalization of marijuana, both for medicinal and recreational use. I would like to hear why you are for or against marijuana legalization. I have all the responses to the ...

Can wife-beating ever be justified?

Additional Details
It's odd -if I asked "can beating a child ever be justified?" I imagine a good third of you would reply, "yes, within certain limits, it's ...

How much trouble can you get into for......?
1. punching someone in the face
2. just slappin someone
3. beating the pulp out of her

PS i know fighting is'nt the right way to solve issues...... but this girl ...

HELP! My neighbor threatened me with his hamster!?
I have a neighbor that breeds black siberian dwarf hamsters. One day, I told him how he needs to get more and see the world because his hamsters are taking over his very SOUL! For some odd reason he ...

What do you think about Muslim women being allowed to wear full veils?
Is it a safety issue or is it discrimations of personal choice? Your thoughts?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com...

How do lawyers choose jurors?
What is the process lawyers use in choosing a person to sit on a jury? What are they looking for?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links