Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it illegal to spy on your neighbors?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to spy on your neighbors?

Additional Details
and its nothing like disturbia

Undecided
Rating
That depends entirely on the level of "spying". Now if you're just keeping an eye out on them (you know... from your yard) that's normal and perfectly legal.
However, sneaking around their yard and peeping into windows can get you into trouble. (or telescopes trained on the master bedroom - teenage daughter's bedroom window - Not OK)
Getting into their home (invited or not) and planting bugs or hidden cameras, etc... Can get you into a bigger heap of trouble.

Mr. Hallowe'en
It depends on how you define "spy".

If you're just looking out your window and they're in their yard, then no, it's not illegal.

If you're hacking their internet or bugging their house with cameras...yes. Very illegal.

tena
Rating
depends on what kinda spying you're doing.

wire taps and invading privacy then yes, but if they just so happen to have their window open, or garage door open .. then no. =)

Jack
Rating
Like peeking through their window at night? ....yes it is.

coyotecoup
Rating
depends on how far you go

I don't think its illegal to look through an open window from your own property or from a public right of way

<3.love.tennis.
Rating
yeah lol it is actually, kind stupid, i know but i dont make the laws!!!!! or enforce them!!!!!

acierinox
Rating
neighbors should be spied on cos they get up to the strangest things

melodytcromer
Rating
yes it is

tim r
Rating
yes. iop

Mister-meaner !
Rating
I dunno, buts it wierd and rude.
well have you seen disturbia, if its that situation, I guess its ok

U.S.Veteran
If you are peeking in their windows, or tapping their phone line then this is very illegal.

surfergirl
Rating
i dont think it is illegal but im sure its not morally right..........unless your stalking and taking pics of them then eh that illegal

twowords
Rating
If you're caught, you'll risk getting your a$$ kicked.

Nyanna
It depends on the state/country's law.

NONAME
Rating
Depends what kind of spying you're doing. If you're watching out your window and/or sitting on the porch watching/listening - it's no big deal. If you're hiding in their closet an watching them sleep - not so cool.

Sweetpea
No, I never saw the police pull up in front of the Kravitz house and arrest Gladys.

bolton12
Rating
No! Completely legal, and, completely encouraged by President Bush and this fascist administration. Its called the Patriot Act.

Vote for Ron Paul 2008!

treesaver123
Yes it is illegal to spy on em!!!
They need privacy! If you think they r doing something bad call the police and they will take care of it!!!

emma
I have a neighbour who has a listening device and has been causing me enormous problems.

Jess
I asked the police about this, because I when I became disabled the insurance company sent people to spy on me costantly. The spies would notify the police that they would be illegally parked (I guess if you're a spy you can park anywhere you want) so they could aim a telephoto lens at me across the lake and record everything they could see through my windows. Since they didn't see me do anything, they made up interesting stories of all of the things I MIGHT be doing. Apparently, if a person with ruptured discs is not seen leaving a house for weeks, and not seen through the windows, this proves he is inside lifting boulders in awkward positions, since they can't see that you're not... Bottom line, if it is possible for someone to see you using a telescope, they are free to do so. Same thing at night using infra-red, or listening using sensitive sound dishes, any sort of passive thing. I'm not sure about shining a laser on a window to measure the vibrations of the glass, which is used as a microphone from afar to listen in on anything they want. Immoral? Yes. Illegal? No.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I saw a job ad that said they were looking for a "Non-smoker." to work at their store. Is this legal?
They also listed other things such as "Must be 21+" "Available Weekends" and "In good health."

I don't smoke; I think it is disgusting. But is it legal ...

Can I stop my neighbor from building her fence on MY property? .?
She is obnoxious and I have had to get the police involved a few times, not my style at all-I hate this. She has now installed 3 wooden fence posts in concrete mostly on my side of the boundary-I ...

Passport taken by landlord?
I asked this this question last night as well and had great feedback... My landlord confiscated my passport 2 weeks ago, because of the fact that my rent was behind (6 weeks), due to the fact that I ...

Is it required to write a will to pass on belongings after death?
My father who is still young, but will be old very soon, rejects to write up a will. He says that all of his belongings will be mine. I disagree because I overheard that the government can take ...

Should racist remarks made privately be subject to prosecution?
Promoting hate is illegal in both Canada and the US. But, should it extend to comments made in private conversations.

In Canada, if one makes hate comments, even in private, they could be ...

Should burning the flag be illegal or legal?
Should burning the flag be illegal or legal?...

How long has the abortion debate been going on for?
Just need to know this for a year 12 research task....

Can you legally be worked in Michigan without pay?
My fiance has been working at Dunkin' Donuts since Tuesday for so called Training He has everyday since then and has not been paid. They tell him he will not be paid for this time. He was ...

I'm getting upset here.?
My 1st ammendment rights are being stepped on. I can't get get a straight answer from you people or any answer at all. Why do you let obviously goofy questions get posted but goofy answers arn&#...

What can you do when you turn 18?
I know you can now:
1. VOTE.
2. TAKE YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE TEST (without having to take the stupid classes and have a permit first).

I know you can't drink alcohol until you&#...

Is it Legal in California?!
is it Legal in california for a 16 year old to get married with a 17 year old?
tanx....

Why should beer be illegal in the US?
I'm doing a project in class. It's everyone versus me and I have to back up why beer should be illegal in the US. I have many points, but I want more to be safe. If anyone could, please ...

Is there laws against lying to obtain employment?

Should Marijuana be legalized?
If it were legal, how do you think socity would act/feel? I think there would be less people incarcerated. what is your opinion?...

Why do they delete it? freedom of speech?
this Q below was deleted

Do you think Yahoo! will allow us to say what we want on Christmas Day, without sending a Violation Notice?

what is wrong with it?
why do yahoo ...

IS the UK a civilised country? if it is how can it jail a mother for three years then admit they were wrong?
And STILL let her out without any help to get over her trauma?

I say if this is civilised then I'd hate to live in a uncivilised nation!
Additional Details
Monetary ...

Euthanasia: Right or Wrong?
Have your say!...

Do we still have morals in America?

Can u refuse to have your fingerprints taken when travelling abroad?

Additional Details
I've nothing to hide but feel it's an invasion of my rights....
I'm travelling to the New York soon from the UK, i have no intentions of ...

Question for anyone who deals or has dealt with Stautory Rape charges.?
My question is:
1)what is the likelyhood that the DA will press charges in a statutory rape case that is three years old, where a child is involved?
2) What do you think the penalty will be?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links