Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it legal for an employer to search your purse?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal for an employer to search your purse?

I am a cashier at a retail store in Ohio (the kind where everything is just $1) and the District manager has now informed us that we have to have our purses searched every night and if we do not want to have them searched we are not to bring them into the store. I carry personal things in my purse that I need along with medication that I may need in a hurry ( for severe asthma attacks) and I wouldn't like my things gone through on a nightly basis. We have a locker area where I lock my purse up (with a lock I paid for) when I get in and then only remove it when on break or leaving. I work in the front of the store and the locker area is in the rear of the store. Male employees have not been asked to turn out their pockets, is this fair or legal?

BeachBum
Rating
Yes, I was going to first type that you have to be notified that the company has that right but as I read your statement I see that is what the manager did.

Btw, they can also search your vehicle if it is parked on their property. I have no clue why on earth they have this authority but they do.

Now with that said, you do have a discrimination case based on the fact that the males are not being searched.

Josh
Rating
Search and seizure law does not apply because it only applies to the government and its agents. The fact that men are not being subjected to the same treatment may mean that you would have a cause of action under equal protection. The real problem is that the employer has informed you ahead of time and has reasonable cause (to prevent theft most likely). If you could show that you need a purse (or similar carrying device) for you medications, you could make an Americans with Disabilities Claim (ADA).

It's really terrible and not fair. Unfortunately the law is very favorable to employers and gives private citizens in a voluntary context a lot of leeway. It doesn't sound like a good place to work. If it's really a problem for you, you might want to contact of lawyer.

Kalypso
Rating
If you live in the USA it is illegal and discriminating to not be searching the men...any body can stuff in their pockets and down their pants...

midnightdealer
Rating
Employers Can have searches done on employees belongings that come in and out of their facilities. He can't dig around though, he can only do a cursory search, what he can see in plain view. But you do have a gripe if he only searches bags and since females carry bags the guys are not subject to these searches if they don't carry somekind of bag to work. Very one sided I would say.

manofadvntr
That is illegal. Unless they have a good reason to suspect you, this will violate your 4th Amendment right against unreasonable searches.

dragonfire
Nope. Not even with notification, can they do that. They can search your locker at work and your work email because they own them, but they can't search your personal stuff without your permission.

Yes, if, the employee, as a condition of employment, agreed in writing, to allow a random search. this is done quite often in department stores. internal theft, by employees, is at an all-time high. i guess, from the legal standpoint, in itself, would not be legal. of course, your job may be on the line, if you resist. most employers may or may not give advance notice of a random check. after all, the whole idea of the search would be to catch a dishonest employee. giving advance notice, would defeat that purpose. employers cannot make a profit, if their merchandise is walking out the door, by their employees. and, the employee can be arrested for theft. this would now make it a legal search and arrest.

No! Not without your presence and usually your permission. It may be that they would require a search of your persons/personal belongings perhaps even your vehicle if you are accused of stealing or if there may be a threat to anyone at your workplace if you are carrying a weapon or drugs or the like. Even if accused of stealing or carrying a weapon it should not be an unannounced search it should be with you present and with your consent.
If it (your purse/backpack) is in a company locker there may be a grey area there, but it would not be without you being there or at very least notified that a search would be happening.

Chris
Rating
I'd say this is stupid. If they really want to find anything out, just fricken install cameras! Jeeez.

dragonfly9151974
Well, technically no. They can legally search your locker, but they can not legally go through your purse.

However, if you want to keep your job without having to go to court over the issue than you might want to just let them see inside your purse.

honiebee
Rating
everyone should be searched, not just women. Or no one at all. that seems unfair.

DIRT MCGIRT
Doesn't sound fair, but I'm not totally sure of the legality. I could see them asking if there has been a problem with theft, but, otherwise, it seems like an invasion of privacy. Especially if you didn't sign anything permitting them to search your belongings or it isn't specified in any employee literature.

machiko_146
That's called illegal search and seizure. ILLEGAL being the key word here, your employer cannot do this.

LBauburn
thats stupid talk to your boss about that cause thats bull.

jaded warrior 68
Rating
from what i know it is,as long as you are inside the store.

Crys H.
Rating
Although perhaps the men where you work should be watched more closely, it is both fair and legal. It would be foolish to leave an employee's purse off limits. That would be giving away an opportunity to steal, and while you might not take advantage of it, I GUARANTEE someone would.

michattorney
Rating
Lihsa essentially got it right. Everyone that claimed a violation of a contitutional amendment for doing it was wrong. The constitution applies to government searches, not private. Does your employer have an ABSOLUTE right to search your purse... probably not, BUT they have a right to ask, and if you refuse, they can terminate you. They gave you prior notice that if you didn't want your purse searched, not to bring it in. They gave you an "out". So, if you don't want your purse searched... don't bring it into the workplace.

Babystomper
Yes, because the employer is protecting themselves against pilferage. You could get a clear purse to negate searches because all would be visible.
Oh, YOU don't have to turn out YOUR pockets either. It's fair in that sense. Also, men AND women could have their backpacks searched.
What scurvebags would steal from a dollar store?

viviana_m_sanchez
Rating
i know when my sister use to work for Express they use to have there purse checked when there shift ended

bigmommy240
i dont know if it is fair or legal...but in alot of stores they require that lady employees carry see thru bags to work if they need to carry a purse. i know thats not much better and it is an invasion of privacy .but might not be a bad suggestion to your employer...another suggestion..carry a small bag with your meds and cash ...whatever you need for your time while you are at work. it is unfortunate that it has come to that but today in this world there are thefts in the work place not to mention everywhere else and they have ruined it for the honest person . i dont take it personal because i know i'm an honest person and i have nothing to hide. its not your fault that the boss man doesnt trust you...its the crook that worked there before you....its like that everywhere.... so looking for another job wouldnt change much for you. good luck !

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is the legal age you can leave home without the permission of your parents....16 or 18??
the legal age to leave home without the parents of the young person being able to get the police involved and bring back the youngster as long as the youngster is in a safe environment and being ...

How do i disown myself from my family and live legally some were else without the law after me for 4 years?

What should you do if you know someone that is embezzling but have no proof?
My dad is and has been for years, stealing money from the company he works for. he tells me what he is doing. he gets several checks from his work on the day he gets paid. he burns the proof that he ...

My son got hurt while he was at his grandparent's house?
He swallowed their meds and had to be medivacted (ride the hospital helicopter) to the next town over and stayed in the ICU overnight. I just received all the medical bills and they refuse to pay ...

Will having legalised heroin 'shooting galleries' and 'hash cafe's' help cut the causes of crime

If you had a?
License to kill who would your first Target Be It can be anyone you ...

What is MORAL but Illegal? AND what is NOT moral but LEGAL?
Have you ever thought of some things that you view ARE moral but the law has them illegal? AND/OR can you think of anything that is NOT moral but the law has it has legal??? Any thoughts would be ...

Is there anyway we can outlaw free speech?

Can you be fired for changing your hair into a Mohawk?
Basically I work at this place, Aurora Cable Internet ltd. in Aurora Ontario, I have regular hair now, I want to have a mohawk. My boss told me it was unacceptable, I want to know if there's ...

YES OR NO Should the Patriot Act finally be abolished?
When will the American people be given back there rights?...

I have received a mail regarding winning of a lottory of 400000USD i have contacted them they are from nigeria
i have given them all information about me. now they are asking me to send them an amount of 450USD for affidavit from the federal court of nigeria.please help me if i am going toward a spam and help ...

Jury duty question......?
I have ben summoned to serve as a trial juror and I just want to know do I have a choice at all on what kind of trial I get? I am not trying to get out of it but I don't feel comfortable with ...

Another eviction question?
i was 5 days late paying rent (but i did pay, 3 days ago)
land lord said it was fine
yesterday i got an eviction notice telling me i had to be out in 24 hours
Constable served it

Can I sue my city for injuries my child received at a city owned skating rink they charge admission for.?

Which group of people do you think is currently fighing/struggling for civil rights in America?
what are some issues that the groups have encountered?
any supreme court cases? results?
any answers are appreciated. feel free to say how you feel about the groups. thank you in advance....

Why do people still support Bush?
I'm sorry but I really find it inconcievable why people can still believe that Bush is a great President. After admitting that he outright lied on certain issues, didn't acquire correct ...

Spanish Inquisition...Patriot Act...where's the difference?
We laugh and shake our heads in amazement at how overly cruel and evil the Spanish were for their methods during the Spanish Inquisition, but here we are centuries later with the Patriot Act giving ...

Accused of stealing $60 worth of gas...what the worse that can happen?
An officer called my house telling me how my boyfriend told him that I stole gas yesterday morning (and of course I'm pissed). Anyway it was 6o dollars worth and my boyfriend told him he would ...

Boyfriend in jail for posession of marijuana? Plz Help.?
My boyfriend is in jail for posession of marijuana..he was taken in on Thursday. It was a small amount but he is being charged with posession with intent to sell. His court date is monday and i'...

Is torturing terrorists to give information ethical?
During the republican debates the candidates were asked what they would do if a group of terrorists were captured, if they would endorse torturing them to get more infomation. Is this ethical? I am ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links