Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it legal for parents to allow their children to consume alcohol at home?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal for parents to allow their children to consume alcohol at home?

for other than religious reasons.

please provide a link to a law reference.

danb135
Rating
It is illegal for anyone under 21 to purchase alcohol. Rules for consumption and possession vary from state to state.

Whether or not you are allowed to let your children consume alcohol in your home depends on state law. Use the following link to find what your state's law is regarding this issue:

http://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/stateprofiles/

For example, in Texas, you can drink or possess alcohol if in the presence of your spouse, parent or guardian. I know this because I was just in Texas and my wife is under 21 and could go to bars with me for a change.

Asad Hassan
Rating
child -endangering-children services- then you go to jail!!!

Skull
Rating
In most states it is legal for parents to allow the consumption by minors, while they are present with them. However, that does not make it a good idea to do so. Minors have a much lower tollerence and it makes them susceptable to depression.

Elfwreck
Rating
Different states have different rulings on this. While it's illegal to buy or sell alchohol to a minor in all 50 states, *providing* alchohol to them is permissible in some settings.

Note that the Catholic church provides alcohol to minors every week. It's a tiny amount, but the laws don't say "it's okay to give a alcohol to children, as long as it's only a little bit." In some churches, the altar boys finish off whatever section of the communion wine isn't used in the services, and it can be almost a full cup.

In most states, I believe it's technically illegal for parents to give alcohol to their children, but as long as it's kept reasonable (a glass of watered wine with some meals, a small glass of champagne at a wedding or New Year's party), it's not enforced.

DivaStar
Rating
not really.............it can be deady and u can go to jail for life by that

johntadams3
It's illegal. The parents can be charged with a crime if they get caught.

lagreendown
no thats sad

Mama Pastafarian
Until the child is 21, it is illegal for them to consume alcohol (other than a sip of wine at communion). The parents could be arrested for contributing to the deliquency of a minor, and the child could be arrested for illegal consumption.

21 is the legal drinking age in all 50 states of the US.

kimberly0627
Rating
Depends on state law.

wancarol
This would be considered child abuse-well NO unless they are 21 years old!

KathyS
Rating
The legal drinking age is 21..therefore under 21 is illegal.

Veteran Garfield
Rating
Not only no, but hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jack f
Rating
Who knows? Depends on the mood of the judge that day. They seem to make the laws, instead of congress.

B Y
It used to be many years ago. Now, or at least in Texas, it is illegal, even in your own home.

is not legal, but some parents allow that, because they said that then we can have our kids home and watch them and nothing can happend to them, so let them drink alcohol. But you have to be 21 so you can drink alcohol.
take care and do smart.
:)

us veteran
Rating
ARE YOU NUTS?? IF YOU CAN NOT ANSWER THIS ON YOUR OWN THEN YOU NEED TO TIE YOU TUBES OR HAVE A VAS.

dukebluechic12
No. If the child is under legal drinking age, and the parent buys the alchohol and allows the child to drink it, the parent can go to jail if they are caught. Look it up under your state laws to see what the charges are.

tristansanfelippo4
IT IS ILLEGAL TO GIVE YOUR CHILDREN BOOS!!!!!!! NO MATTER WHAT IS IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE ILLEGAL!!! DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE!!!

marie
IT IS STILL LEGAL IN TEXAS... Providing/Furnishing Alcohol to Minors In Texas, a person may provide alcohol to a minor if he/she is the minorís adult parent, guardian, or spouse, and is visibly present when the minor possesses or consumes the alcoholic beverage from:http://www.tabc.state.tx.us

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it fair that alcohol which causes thousands of deaths is legal and marijuana which has caused none is not?

Should I sue my mom???
If she would have never had me, then I would have not had to deal with anything bad ever????...

At what age should people first be able to earn a driver's license?

Can my employer fire me for being pregnant?
I have a great job that I love. I have been here for three months and have been told I'm performing very well. However, after taking three pregnancy tests all with positive results I am ...

If an employer finds out you have a criminal record can they sack you?
I'm still in my probation period at work in a bar and it is going well. They were looking for more recent references than I gave them but I was in prison and my last employer knew about that. If ...

If there are less guns available in the USA wouldn't there be less illegal guns?

Additional Details
Bill M: Are you saying they should legalize illegal immigrants and illegal drugs so there will be less of them?...

Is reading diary illegal?
when someone read ur diary and it cost a lot of conflicts??
is there any law that cover that?...

A life of honest hard work or a life of crime ?

How do you feel about the amnesty bill?
Are you against it? Do you even know what it is? (Hint, it deals with illegal immigration) Are you for it? Why, or why not?
Additional Details
Don't you think that Congress needs ...

What am i looking at if i am going 2 court for being an accomplace in a beer run.?
this kid did a beer run, and i was the driver.. we got stopped, and i am now being charged with transportation of alcohol as a minor, and accomplace 2 a robbery.... could i be looking at jail time ...

I have been getting some letter from some company telling me that,i have won some quantity of money,how to tru
i have got some letter from ""The Lottery of U.K telling me that,i have won some quantity of money(930.000.00$.
Your e-mail address has won yhe quantity below.This is a weekly P...

The Good Samaritan Question: What would YOU do if you saw a person being murdered on the street?
1. How would you feel?
2. What would you say?
3. What actions would you take in that very moment to try and stop it from happening, if any? (Not everyone is a Good Samaritan and sometimes ...

If you could vote for marijuana to be legalized, would you?
My opinion:
Marijuana is no worse than alcohol. A person who is high on marijuana many times seems to me more in touch with reality than someone who is intoxicated.
Marijauna has some ...

Against or with the death penalty...?
Obviously, a very controversial subject...& I sit on the fence for this one...
I believe, in most murder cases, it should be a life for a life, if you take away the life of an INNOCENT (not ...

What state are you living in now?

Do You Agree or Disagree With The US Supreme Court Split Decision Not To Impose Death Sentence on Child Rapist
http://wcbstv.com/nation
As a liberal I gree with not to impose death sentence, not even close.
Additional Details
Bob K. Enjoy the ...

Should gun owners be held liable for accidents involving children and firearms?
This is for my English **Final** paper. Let me know what you think, I'm looking for all opinions (opposing and agreeing), any websites...just let me know! The question is: Should gun owners be ...

Do you think we should bring back capital punishment for certain crimes?
If so, why?/If not, why not?
What are your views on this?
Additional Details
(In UK by the way)...

Should men be allowed to enroll in all girl colleges?
i thought the purpose of all girl colleges was to provide an education (private education) to girls without the stress factor of having men around?

personally im for public coed classes ...

Do you believe we should fix chronic welfare abusers?
You know, those who have one kid after another and feed off the government without lifting a finger to help themselves?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links