Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it legal for people to go through someone's trash?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal for people to go through someone's trash?

There are various people who go through my trash looking for things they can recycle such as cans. They untie my tied up plastic bags, spilling my private trash from bathroom trash bag to kitchen stuff with all my torn up bills etc. Now that the weather's getting warm this attracts a lot of flies. Is it legal for them to be doing this?
Additional Details
What about if the trash bins are on my driveway, not on the sidewalk?

evilattorney
In the US, it's legal to search through someone's trash. It's not legal to trespass to do it and it's not legal to leave a mess.

ck9opferrari
trash is public property.. you can probably get them for making a big mess though..

ATTENTION: Testicles That Is All
If its on a public street or sidewalk I'm like 90% sure it is. Shred anything thats important.

flika
Unfortunately, in 1988 the US Supreme Court ruled trash-picking is legal.

Unless your community has certain ordinances/restrictions regarding the issue, there isn't much you can do about it.

If also depends on where you keep your cans. If they are next to the curb they're up for grabs. If they are on your property, that's another story. You might wait until morning to set the cans out for pick-up instead of leaving them out over night. It's a pain in the butt, I know.

Get a shredder for your own protection, that's what I did.

http://www.paghat.com/dumpster.html

mhmd
Rating
Once you put it out on the curb it's abandoned and anyone can take it. Only exceptions would be if they are trespassing onto private property to do it. An example of this would be if it was in an apartment complex or in a gated community where the roads are not maintained by the county and the person collecting the trash is not a resident or otherwise authorized to be there.

Jinny
Rating
Thats gotta be annoying. It's legal if the trash is outside on the curb of your driveway for the garbage man to come pick it up, the only time its illegal is if they're going through your trash while its on your property. Your driveway is considered to be your property so thats tresspassing.

Hellaskinny E
Rating
throw some anthrax in the trash, or a bunch of dead squirrels (both?)

tabbi8407
contact you home association

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is there a legal age for two girls to stop sharing rooms.?
I have two daughters -One is 7 and the other is 16. I know it's different for boys but at what legal are girls suppose to ...

Is it fair to suggest Texas is its own worst enemy?
I am from Texas. I was born and raised here. I'm not your stereotypical Texan. I'm a staunch Democrat, and I loathe George Bush. I like Barack Obama, and I despise country music. Anyway, my ...

Reasons FOR the legalisation of cannabis - DEBATE?

Do you think that justice exists?
what is justice anyway?...

Do Illegal Immigrants Threaten U.S. Health Care?
this is for the opposing part of my paper. once again, as much input as possible would be lovely....

Jail sentence charge?
i just harrassed my neighbor, how much jail time will I get?...

Can a doctor be sued for doing THIS?
Adminitrating wrong dosis of anesthesia like this:

-Duing epidural, not applying local anesthesia first

-During c-section, administered too much anesthesia causing the woman&#...

Why are my neighbors upset?
I no longer acknowledge Obama as my President, I fly the Stars and Bars with the American flag upside down under it. I feel the nation iis in distress and the upside down flag is a international ...

I need to know how to write a motion for civil court?
I was told by the first district that I need to write a letter to file for a motion to excuse a debt that is not mine, but I am not sure how to go about it....

Can i sue my ex for wrecking my car?
My ex was in an accident with my car almost a year ago (July 08). He has been promising to fix it. I have even broke down and bought the parts needed. He has not fixed it yet. I am still paying ...

Child support from NY to Fla.?
I live in NYC and my daughter in Tampa, Fla. Recently my ex went in Fla and applied for public assistance and with that they had her put me in court for child support. I went to court and asked for ...

Custody and counseling question?
if the parents share joint custody of the minor child and one parent wants the child to attend counseling sessions does that parent have to get the other parents permission?...

People keep throwing stuff on our yard and we get clean up notices LEGAL TYPE advice please?

Physician malpractice insurance?

My solicitor is waiting for the response letter from the other party from who we r suing what happens next?
we are suing the nhs and are quite a way down the line she says she is waiting for the response letter to the letter she sent to say we are issuing ...

Why is the American penal system so f***** up?
I mean the prisons.

It's common for prisoners to get raped in prison. It may not be encouraged, but at least it's tolerated, I think. Many rape victims then contract AIDS and ...

What does a reverse mean in court?
But for reasons heretofore stated this claim cannot, consistently with the First Amendment, form a basis for the award of damages when the conduct in question is the publication of a caricature such ...

I would like 2 b a vet r a crime sene murderer investigation person is that wierd coz u need 2 b realy smart ?

Is it legal in arizona to have a expandable baton for self defense?

What rights do I have when it comes to rental apartments and this problem?
We live in a rental community, and we are having noise problems everytime our neighbors turn on the water. There is like a loud knocking sound in our wall. We have our apartment professionally ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links