Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it legal for people under 18 to smoke cigarettes?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal for people under 18 to smoke cigarettes?

I know it sounds stupid but is it true that it is only illegal for minors to buy cigarettes, but they are free to smoke them?

mastermind242424
No, it is illegal to smoke cigarettes if you are a minor. Just like it is illegal to drink alchohol if you are under 21.

rdhedhottie
no, they aren't supposed to smoke and they can get ticketed which cost approx. $50.00 a ticket, if the police wanted to pursue it. It is a law now in Michigan that a person under the age of 18 cannot purchase a lighter either. Any person found purchasing for a minor can get fined big time!

RATM
Yes, they just can't buy them... Smoking is stupid though..

Carolyn T
Not only illegal but not very smart either. Once you start that nasty habit it's very hard to quit. Not to mention the effects on your health. Take it from one who kicked the habit! You'll thank yourself when your older and wiser!

wendy b
in missouri, if you're under 18, whoever supplied them could get in major trouble

fred_rubbles
Rating
It is illegal to possess cigarettes under the age of 18.

rhino_man420
its illegal for both

Tigerlily3030
Its always been illegal to smoke cigarettes under 18. My sister got a ticket for having them in her possesion when she was like 16, which was like 9 years ago!

shadowman
Rating
No. Your individual state has specific laws relating to possession of tobacco products by minors.

D greendesk
Forget 18. is it legal for a government to allow the sale of cigarettes knowing it to be poison and that it endangers the health of all and sundry.

Jacques
nope.. it's illegal to smoke or do any drug under 18 UNLESS you are with your parents. if you are with your mom and dad you can, but it has to be in a private residence i believe.

sway_ii
Rating
No it is now illegal to be in possesion of cigarettes if you are under 18.

Double 709
Rating
If a cop catches you smoking them and you´re under 18 he has the right to confiscate them from you.

captmhunt
Rating
If it isn't illegal, it should be. Smoking cigarettes is NOT cool... it's NOT smart... it's NOT adult... it's NOT desirable... and, regardless of what you may believe.. it's DUMB, DUMB, DUMB... to put something that will kill you with cancer into your body and think you are doing something intelligent.

Back Porch Willy
Rating
If you are talking about in the U.S., then the correct answer will vary depending on what state you are in. Most states just make it illegal to buy them , but in some it is illegal to use them.

shamruq
doesnt matter... just dont smoke....

robbie h
In Ohio if a minor is caught with cigarettes either on person or smoking, the police officer will give them a ticket(of course this depends on the cop--some just let it go) and make them go to court and have to go to a smoking seminar, which shows them the effects smoking has on their bodies. Personally I think this should be shown in school at a young age 9-10yrs. and every year after that.

idontkno
Rating
no

ismoke
so what if younger people smoke i smoke lol and so what? what is the problem with that? we got one life and law is taking over it! we can do nothing all we do is get in trouble and its not fair so FU!-

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If I pay child support to my ex wife and she gets remarried, am I still obligated to pay?

Is it legal to lower your salary?
I know a co-worker of mine gave his two-week notice because my boss lower his salary. My co-worker wanted to cut his days of work. I guess my boss didn't like that. I know that was seriously ...

You're running from the police and you fall, while you're down on the ground- you are tazed. Is this legal?

Which law is worse: Mandatory seat belt use or price gouging?

I rcvd a mail from stating that I have a job in nigeria ? Is it true ??
SHELL NIGERIA INC. (SNI)
Job Vacancies
TITLE: PRODUCTION SHARING CONTRACT
Job ID: PSC/JV/SNI 01145-07 Nigeria.
Shell Nigeria Incorporation (SNI) has immediate employment

How stupid and unconstitutional are hate crime laws?
Very, in my opinion. How can liberals - the alleged defenders of the constitution - support laws which force you to spend extra time in prison for allegedly having thoughts or feelings deep inside of ...

Should Anna Nicole Smith be buried it TX, or Bahamas?
Why?...

If you see someone hit a child can you legally intervene?
If you
see a parent or relative hit or kick etc. a child can
you legally intervene?...

Is toilet papering houses legal?

What do you have to say about this?
Okay so my boyfriend and i are together. He is 24, and I am 16. My parents are trying their hardest to keep me from him, but I'm at the age of consent. When I asked them why they kept me from ...

Can you get in trouble for drawing a swastika on a sidewalk with chalk?
Freedom of expression, right? And if I could get in trouble with that, I should get in trouble for drawing a Star of David, since Israel has committed immense atrocities and displaced millions of ...

When people commit a crime, and go to jail, why do so many not serve their full sentence?
If someone is sentenced , why should they have a chance to get out through parole. why doesn't the sentence they get stick???why is parole even available???
Additional Details
I THIN...

I owe a drug dealer some money?
a few months ago this guy let me borrow a knife, but i lost it and now i have to pay him back his $50 by tommorow at 5:30 or he'l probly kill me. now obviously you would just pay him back, only ...

Can you be fined for speeding in the uk if you live in ireland and hold an irish licence?

Are gypsies/travellers an ethnic minority?

Those that answered "who should go to jail"?
I'm a Native American just recently I went fishing without a fishing license and recieved a ticket. How do you justify whites stealing my peoples land then trying to make us pay to fish or hunt ...

What are your views on this?
do you think the goverment should call for every man to have a DNA test and have them put on file for police use?
and, if men who dont want it done, should they be forced to? or do they have ...

Will/Should I be charged for shoplifting?
Hypothetical: While shoplifting a $20 CD at Circuit City, the store got held up by three armed men and I was able to help the Security Guard along with another shopper to jump the three men.

I'm a member at a gym which I can no longer afford!?
I signed a year contract and the only way I can get out of it is if I move 25 miles away or if I get a note from the doctor stating I'm not able to workout. Does anyone have ay brilliant ideas ...

Is it really okay with you that the richest country in the world.....?
denies over 45 million people access to medical treatment? How can you honestly and morally think it is okay that real people really do die because of the current system? I am just wondering your ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links