Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is it legal to BBQ on my balcony?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it legal to BBQ on my balcony?

We live at the apartments. I've been told by my crazy neighbor that it is illegal to BBQ on my balcony. I live in Washington state. Does anyone know if that's true?

Owlwings
Rating
Ask your landlord. Or if you own the place, check with your deeds and the local bylaws.

If you aren't actually disturbing your neighbour (with noise or smell) there may be nothing she can do.

la buena bruja
Rating
I don't know about Washington state, but it's against the fire code in Michigan to barbecue on your balcony.

Scullycj
Rating
I have a gas grill on my deck and I'm on the 3rd Floor
Check your local fire department

tons on idiots here
Rating
i dont know about washington state, but in lansing mi it is illegal to grill on any surface that is not in direct contact with the ground. ie using a grill on a second story apartment balcony. the reasoning is if the grill gets knocked over hot coals in theory could land on and injure a bystander.

joyceeleann
Rating
It depends on where you live. Sometimes you are allowed so long as the bbq'er is tiny..ask your management office

fr_chuck
It would be most likely against apartment rules.

caffeyw
It's most probably a city fire code rule. The state normally doesn't go this far on the code unless there's been some major event in the state to cause it to see a need for a statewide ban.

minus
Rating
The thing to do is ask the landlord or his Representative.,

As a state law or national law probably no such. The owners can say no BBQ if they want. Read your lease carefully because it probably says wht you can and can't do.

That is the kind of thing you should know before you move in.

Dunja
i believe it is because i think you have to barbacue 10 ft away from the apartment on your property so that the apartment doesnt catch on fire...stupid rules but i think your neighbor is right...

oh and this is the rule in texas so im not sure about washington

LIAR-KILLER
Look in your lease!
I wouldn't ask the apartment Management.............
Just DO IT! If it's Brought to your attention that it is illegal by the management........claim ignorance.............

Over and Over
Rating
I know this probably sounds stupid, but we bbq on our garage roof.(second story appartment, and the way its set up our back porch is the garage roof) and they dont say anything to us about it,although it may be against your lanlords rules, and you may want to check into it though. And there are lots of people that bbq on their porches so the 10 feet law does not apply, and also there is no law that it has to be directly on the ground, unless its an open pit bbq which im assuming you would not have on a balcony!

Walter M
Depending on the area this is entirely true. College kids setting fire to thier apartments while grilling spurred some of this. That's how it is in Hennipen county in MN. As far as Washington state goes, the case of a building code going back to International Code Council is being cited.

daddyugi
as long as u do not get caught

Ibredd
it would be unwise to bbq under an overhang, Call the fire department

Beth
Rating
Most apartment leases have in them something saying you cannot use a grill, especially not a charcoal grill and especially not on a balcony. They are simply trying to eliminate the fire hazard. Check your lease--if there's nothing in there about it, then you're fine. If there IS something in the lease about it then your neighbor is right.

RUDOLPH M
Rating
Check your rental agreement. The might be a rule against charcoal BBQ but a gas grill might be ok. I had a neighbor once tell me the same thing, they just objected to the sell of meat cooking, they were vegetarian. I suggested that they close their windows and door.

EAGLES
Rating
Yeah kind of because of the smell and smoke and all that crap but you gotta ask somebody more professional

good luck :)

Jay
I hope not! I BBQ on your balcony all the time. I shot your crazy neighbor the bird. Your welcome.

deep blue
Rating
haha it sounds like he's jealous of smelling your food.

i've never ever heard of it being illegal!!

Though i'm from australia, bbq's are pretty much used as often as stoves!

Radar_Monkey
National fire code specifies 10' from a combustible structure.

Stu
It is illegal to have a propane BBQ above the first floor in Massachusetts, but that doesn't stop my neighbors. Just about all of them have one on the 2nd floor in my neighborhood which is predominately 2 family homes. So far, no fires. I'm a little worried about my home because it might not be covered by our insurance policy if my neighbors upstairs have a fire.

Pissed off neighbor
I love in Olympia,WA and yes its against your lease to BBQ on your balcony... I believe you have to be at least 10 ft. from the building for fire safety reasons. Oh and the person who replied about people just being jealous of how good the food smells. Thats BS.... it has nothing to do with it... Its hot out and i have a fan in the windows and its blowing in all the Smoke/charcoal smell into my house and I have a baby. Also think about it if the BBQ would flame up and catch something on fire near by like a beam.... guess who pays the price I do!... Im in the unit above this person... and is BS! and ive reported them to the managers office with a written letter saying that this couple below is is BBQ'in on there balcony below and i have to keep my sliding door shut and windows so smoke doesnt come blowing into my house... Worried i'll be gone one day and come home to a place thats burnt down. Even if i have renters insurance thats not the point. Its a fusterating because i would like to have my fan in my windows with out it sucking smoke into my home... Like i said its BS to say someone is jealous of the smell of how good food smells like seriously? i could give a shit about how good there food is and i would be happier if they would BBQ safely and follow the rulles of the apartment complex like everyone else has to... 10 feet away from the building please.... says in the lease!!! thank you have a good day hope this helps.. cause this is irritating and been going on for weeks and im getting ready to call the fire dept. because i've complained about it and the management hasn't fixed the situation

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I go to work, get assaulted, call police then get terminated because I did. Wheres the justice in this?
My co-workers ganged up on me and lied, said I did things I did not do. Instead of doing what I was accused of which resulted in my termination I chose to call police just in case. So much for that ...

Anyone feel Bad about Death Penalty even for Saddam?
We suffered alot under his government and destroyed the whole country, but yet I feel bad about that execution. and sometimes mix feelings, when someone defend him make him as "great", I ...

Why do Americans call black Americans "African American" and dont call white Americans European American?
u know what i mean? why cant they all be American?...

I was written a bad check...?
a guy gave me a check whom i thought i trusted... it came back and bounced and said it was from a closed account. i need the money because it's mine... is this fraud and is there anything i can ...

If a school suspends you for swearing couldn't you sue them for violating your right of free speech?
Just a thought, it has never happened to me. Ohh, and how much does someone usually get awarded if someone violated there right of free speech?...

Company dress code, legality question. ?
Can an employer require you to tuck in your shirt, even if you do not have contact with the public in your duties? I understand uniform compliance, but I am not sure about tucking in shirts or ...

My friend stole her friends credit card and spent $300 now cvs saw her on tape, whats gonna happen to her?
My friend stole her friends credit card and spent $300 at cvs, the bank contacted cvs and saw the tapes of her and now cvs is after her, what is going to happen to her?...

Do all dogs go to heaven?
NO, because PETA has them propped up on life support and expensive medication to prevent them from getting there.
Additional Details
Give others a chance? 19 other people have taken the ...

Confused about tv licensing!?
I decided to television ban in my house 3 years ago, as i'm a student (tv is too much of a distraction) and my daughter was getting far too addicted. Have kept the tv - as we have a movie night ...

Things I can legally do when I turn 18?
I'm trying to cheer myself up, so I'm making a list of all the things I'll be able to do once I turn 18! I have all the obvious ones, like voting. Does anybody have anything to ...

Can landlords with hold personal belongings of a tenant, if the tenant was in arrears with rent and evicted?

Can they do this?
OK, my mother lost her job but had emergency money saved for 6 months, and I'm 14-years-old but can be mistaken for an adult.

In my state you must be 16 in order to be hired for a job ...

If my dog hurts a little girl unintentionally....?
If my dog was tied to his trolley run in my driveway, and some guests with little kids come over and go up to him and pet him and play with him, and he jumps (as dogs do when playing) and his nails ...

Why is everything going up?
Morgages, taxes, bills, everything, is all going UP!

How are people going to aford it all if they can't have their wages boosting up?

Ever since the immigrants came here, ...

Prison rape is a huge problem in this country, why?
We can spend billions of dollars on a declining war, but we can not stop 25-50% of our inmates from getting raped.

It is amazing we haven't done more for prison rape in this day and ...

Death penalty?
If someone kills someone you love, would you wish the death penalty on them?...

X- wife isnt paying credit card that is in my name but decree says she has to what do i do now?
is it considerede contempt? or do i need to go to the civil ...

Is it legal for the disiplinary guy at a high school to look through cells phones when they get taken away?
like if someone gets caught with one, they get it back from him at the end of the day, but people witness him looking throught it. and some get them back with scratches on the screen. this is unfair,...

If you shoot and kill a trespasser on your property, are you criminally liable?

Can i pay for things with just pennies?
For example if I have a check at a resturant for $50 can I elect to pay all in pennies? Can they deny them if I use them? Can they legally make ME count them?

I know its rude and all that ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, April 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links