Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Is someone who is legally blind allowed to have a driver's license?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is someone who is legally blind allowed to have a driver's license?

The person I am inquiring about is declared legally blind by the VA. This person still has a license. Is there also anyplace where I might be able to find this info? Thanks!

melark
Rating
No, they have to pass an eye sight test .... so I think they would fail ... ... ...

supergirl2243
I think when someone is declared legally blind, there license is revoked. They would be issued and ID card, but not legally able to drive a car. Check with your local DMV for more info.

leaptad
If a person has vision problems they can still get a license, but there are restrictions put on it. For example, you can only drive while wearing corrective lenses (glasses or contacts), or you can only drive during the day. If you have specific quesitons about the law in your state, call the BMV or check to see if they have a website.

SANAT
Rating
NO

ThePerfectStranger
Rating
You need to understand the definition of legally blind. This does not necessarily mean totally blind. Vision correction can permit the legally blind to see well enought to drive.

smedrik
You can be declared legally blind, but full sighed with the assistance of corrective eye wear. Your divers license will just have a marker that indicates it is necessary for you to wear corrective eye wear.

JAN
Rating
My husband who is legally blind had to voluntary turn in his license. The department of motor vehicles has no way of telling when someones eye sight may diminish to the point of being legally blind. So unless the person has an accident and in the case of many elderly this is what it takes, no one knows how a persons eye sight may be. We can only hope the majority use common sense as my husband did. Even then it was a hard thing to do.

strech
Try the state in question's Department of Motor Vehicles.
I'll bet they say no, but he could get a state issued i d card from them, for id purposes.

Mickey Mouse Spears
Rating
I would say no, but it probably varies from state to state. My grandmother who lives in Illinois is legally blind and she is not allowed to have a license, even though she can see. She's never had a license or driven a day in her life.

Teddy Bear
I don't see how it would be allowed for a blind person to be permitted a license to drive. I would inquire at your local Motor Vehicle.

togs
wouldnt have thought it was very safe!!!! no prob not legal at all, try your local police station. they would be able to help.

Russell
depends if it's just one eye or both, one of my mates is legally blind in one eye and she is learning to drive at the moment

Lane
Rating
with corrective lenses, sure. although states definition of "legally blind" differs.

Through the use of certain low vision aides such as a bioptic lens, visually impaired and even legally blind patients can obtain a drivers license in some states, including Ohio.

nana4dakids
I live in Florida and my husband used to live in Georgia. He is legally blind but he wears glasses. He has a drivers license in Florida and used to have one when he lived in Georgia too. He is allowed to drive as long as he wears his corrective lenses. Of course, he can't see where to put the key in without them so he can't drive without them at all. In most states, if you are legally blind but the problem in corrected with glasses or contacts, then you can get a drivers license.

Lt. Dan reborn
Rating
According to state statutes someone who is given a driver's license has to pass the eye exam. Not that it is terribly difficult to do this, but it is at least a minimum standard.
The person you are thinking of has, I hope, passed the test years ago and couldn't pass an eye exam today.
Although, this would explain a lot of the driving that I do see out on the roads today.

No, because a person legally blind cannot see any better than 20/200 with glasses, or contacts. They are a safety hazard to the public, if behind the wheel.You can verify this with your state DMV office.

BarbieQ
He shouldn't drive a car when he's blind.

jivesucka
Rating
yeah, driving on the footpath isn't even slightly hazardous to pedestians

Wendy 1
Rating
If the person is medically, legally blind, then you should notify the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state before someone gets hurt. PLUS the person must be legally blind even with corrective lenses. Some people are legally blind but when they use corrective lenses, they are not.

FlatBroke
Rating
i'm sorry to answer a question with "I don't know" but i thought that if i told you what i DO know then you might find it useful.

most states won't give DLs to legaly blind. often times, in states, doctors have the authority to confenscate patients licenses and report it to the motor vehicle department.

however, several states - depending on the level of visual impairment - will grant 'Restricted' licenses to drivers who have vision problems. these restrictions will include such things as "may not drive after dark" and "may not drive more than 2 miles from home address".

again, it depends on the state.

virgina's website:
http://www.virginia.gov/cmsportal2/

Tapestry6
Rating
Probably using the license as an ID card.
The driver's license and the ID card in California look identical.
In fact a teenager can have an ID card with a number on it and when they go for their license they keep that number they both look the same except at the top it says identifcation. Just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you drive a car. I didn't drive for serveral years and just kept it for ID purposes. Legally blind people can ride bicycles it doesn' tmean they don't see.. it just means they don't see well.

Heinz M
IF they can pass the DMV eye test, then yes. Otherwise no.

Alila
No you're not allowed to drive. Ask the Beauro of Motor Vehicles

Bella
If a person is blind they are not allowed to drive a car on the roads,When a person looses there sight they are meant to hand the driving license over to the DVLA.If you need more information contact the DVLA and they will be able to advise you..

marie
Rating
No they should be driving now think about it where would they drive to, it could cause an accident. They should turn in the license and get an ID there not much they can do about this. You should call the DMV to find out more info......

Time4Tivo
Yes, for ID purposes, but it would be restricted.

Nin
The definition of legally blind is visual acuity of 20/200 or worse in the better eye (even with correction) or peripheral field of less then 20 degrees. Either way, they would never meet the visual requirement to drive (even limitedly) in any state. All states offer an alternative form of legal identification for reasons just like this. However, it is up to the individual to turn in their license once they become legally blind. The Department of Motor Vehicles is not informed when someone goes blind. I've been legally blind for almost a year and no ones come knocking on my door for my license. Though obviously I don't drive, it doesn't stop others who are legally blind from driving.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How do you feel about your DNA added to the goverment database?
Regardless if you have a criminal record, or not.
Additional Details
For all those who say that they have nothing to hide..

Would you also feel happy with a goverment camera ...

What would happen if a child was abused by a parent?

Do you think i have a case for discrimination?
i recently applied for a temporary job in woolworths over the christmas period. The application was only 1 page and consisted of asking for my name, address, telephone number, and the hours i am ...

Is George W. Bush a Terrorist?

When G.W. Bush face jail time for his crimes or will he get away with it?
will g.w. bush serve some time in jail and find his bf or will he get away with all that he did to this country and the american people....

I was arrested and kept in a cell.?
I was kept in the cell from 6am Friday morning untill 10pm Monday morning. I was not once allowed out of the room. This was not jail I was just kep in the cell untill I went to court and FOund NOT G...

I found a Wallet with $268.00 today. I returned the Wallet and the money to the owner did I do good?
Honesty is my best policy!
Additional Details
In closure the Man just cashed his paycheck so he needed his money. I didn't want a reward, but he works at the Express Oil Station so ...

Should the United States take over the world and end terrorism once and for all?

The supreme court rules (abortion is legal), 20 million dead, is everybody happy now ?
Because of a few judges, over 20 million dead babies.
Now tell me Satan's not laughing his xxx off....

Do you think its right that prisoners get tv's in their rooms & other luxuries?
also their meals cost more in the UK than children's school dinners. Is it me or is something profoundly wrong about this?
Additional Details
some interesting answers here and maybe ...

Should death penalties be introduced to the uk once again?

Is this illegal or legal????
if you could have a liscense plate that had swear words on it.
i was just curious if it was or not....

What is more important to you as an American? Security, Freedom, Social Welfare.?

Is this rape?
me and my friend went out to this guys house party. She got completely wasted, i was pretty drunk but not so bad as her.
Anyway, this guys older brother started hitting on her and trying to snog ...

Why do drive on the left In Great Brittan?

How are you on Abortion? For it or against?
I am totally against it! You can't kill a baby because he or she will be inconvient for you! Also you can't do things without having consiquences! If you have a debate that you think can ...

If you got caught with drugs at school as a child does it go on your record?

Additional Details
i had tobacco and pot and gave it to my friend at age 10. got suspended for a day and had to go to court. yea...stupid me. they only knew about the tobacco though....

3 years in jail for hurling a shoe at George Bush?
Isn't that a bit harsh?...

Is it illegal for a man to try on lingerie at a store?
So the other day I was minding my own business trying on some lingerie at Victoria's Secret (I love the lace!) and then they had security kick me out of the store, apparently they didn't ...

Who actually thinks marijuana is bad?
-smoking a lot of weed doesn't make you lazy, lazy people smoke a lot of weed. I have a 4.0 and a 2030 (1360) sat, and will go to college next year. That is a lot better than plenty of people ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links