Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Judge & Jury?
Find answers to your legal question.

Judge & Jury?

Can a Judge overturn the Verdict made my the Jury??

jacg
No, he/she can't. The only way that this can be altered is if there is an appeal by the defendant perhaps because new evidence has come to light in his favour or where there has been some sort of procedural error, in which case there will be another trial.

The judge can direct the jury but cannot reverse any decision that they may make. The whole idea of the jury system is that it is a trial by your peers, not by the judge.

sharkinthewater
Yes. A trial court judge can grant a Judgement not withstanding the verdict (JNOV) if the verdict is contrary to law. (applies to verdicts of guilty only) Also, appeals courts (all judges) can overturn verdicts for a variety of reasons, and often do.

THE WISE MAN
i am not %100 sure, but i think yes

LYN W
Rating
Not in the same court. An application for leave to appeal can be made to the trial judge who can grant it in the first instance. The case is then referred for appeal in the court of appeal.

Wisdom
Rating
no, but a majority needs to be in agreement (i believe) otherwise the judge can post-pone the case until a satisfactory verdict is reached. There is always Appeal...

Jan
Rating
Don`t know for sure, although, don`t think so

ukcriminalbarrister
Okay, I assume that this question refers to England & Wales. If so, then the answer is no. A Crown Court Judge sitting with a jury has no power to overturn a verdict returned by it.

At the end of the Prosecution case, the defence can make submissions regarding the Prosecution case (in essence that it so weak that it ought not to be left to the jury) and the Judge can direct the jury to return not guilty verdicts on those counts. Note, that even this is a direction. A jury could decide to ignore the judge and return a guilty verdict however, this simply does not happen and the Court of Appeal would quash the conviction.

The only instance of a Judge being able to overturn a jury's verdict is the powers of the Court of Appeal. They can, if a defendant appeals against his conviction, quash that conviction (and possibly order a retrial), or substitute the jury's verdict (eg manslaughter instead of murder).

I'm afraid that suggestions that the Judge (the Crown Court Judge) can substitute a verdict on ground of national security, new evidence or proof of lies are simply incorrect. These are all matters that would have be consider by the Court of Appeal.

mummyzgall
yes i think????

tehabwa
I've seen this happen on Law & Order. I don't know whether they make stuff like that up, or use advice of experts.

Please leave this question up, as you're getting yes's and no's, but none so far seem to me to be authoritative.

Maybe someone who really knows what they're talking about will come along and answer.

cassie s
No, that is part of the system definately not. It is a jury of peers, the only way is if a case is at appeal and then it is just a different jury in a higher court!

Frodette Baggins
Rating
I don't think that a Judge can overturn the verdict made by a Jury, but he can direct them to a particular verdict.
The difference is that the Judge must direct the Jury before they make a decision. If they make a decision that he or she doesn't like then he cannot overturn it but I think that somewhere along the line a re-trial can be ordered.

rose_merrick
Rating
yes - their decision is final. Sometimes they have to, if they are given evidence at the last minute. They can order the jury to be changed to, I think - if they have been found to be given false information

Dave S
Rating
the judge can only overturn the verdict of a jury if they have been given information at the last minute, the information is of a snesitive nature and so cannot be released to a jury (eg. national security) or there has been proof of lying under oath. Then, and only then, can a judge overrule the jury and give his own verdict. Even then, he has to explain his decision to i believe the Home Secretary or else it is reversed and the original decision stands.

misspipik
Rating
yes and no ...if a jury decides not guilty the judge cannot decide the person is guilty. if the judge decides the person is innocent or the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof he will probably end the trial before it gets to a jury. not likely to happen but a judge can overturn a guilty verdict.

nadkins26
Rating
nope. The Jury is the final stage of a veredict.

lexo80
Rating
No. The judge is there to advise the jury, and quite often they can abuse this position by giving them biased advice or even bullying them, but they can't reject the jury's verdict. Thank God, or rather thank the legal system.

A verdict can, however, be overturned in a court of appeal.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should an I.Q. test be required for people seeking public office?

Does the FBI e-mail before arresting u?
I was notified by someone claiming to be and FBI agent he told me that I was going to be arrested for not wiring money to a person in nigeria the sum of 524.00 and now the FBI is telling me I got 48 ...

Should smoking be outlawed in bars, restaurants, and other public places?

If I said "stop" and the girl doesn't stop, is it considered rape???
I went to this party and i met a girl, she had a crush on me...and i somehow liked her to....it was all a case of "consenting adults"...until she became reckless...i told her to stop but ...

Why do people ask so many dumb questions?
They can obviously work Yahoo Answers but they've never heard of a search engine????...

Drink driving can my friend be prosecuted??
My friend was out a few months ago now had just filled up car with petrol drove a few miles and his car broke down.
he had a bottle of vodka in car for later that night but decided to drink it ...

Why is it, that we do not all have the right to Free Health Care?
We live in the " Power Belt" of the world called"" AMERICA""and no health ins for our ...

Is it legal to open other people's mailbox to put in some advertising material from my company???
I've being thinking on doing some advertising on my neighborhood for my company. and i'm not very sure of if I can do this........the main objective is to put in a flyer on the mailboxes. I...

What would you do if someone started making threats to you in public and around little kids?

If you ordered a laptop online and received two in the post by accident, would you contact the store?
I purchased a £500 hp laptop online and it seems the store messed up a bit, they were supposed to send it out on Tuesday but they didn't, i received on on Thursday which they had sent on the W...

Is this legal?
I was shopping the other day at a clothing store in El Paso TX. I went to the dressing room to try on some clothes and they told me I had to pay $1 to use the dressing room. At first I was like '...

Is it age discrimination, if you say McCain is to old to become president?

Will i go to jail for drunk and disorderly behaviour?
I got arrested for drunk and disorderly. Ive got a court date and im wondering whether ill get a prison sentence or just fined ,it seems wierd having to go to court i thought it was just on the spot ...

Where can the people of the USA find a honest politician??
We are a nation of complete dishonesty, why do you think so many people want to come here? its because the illegals, and foreigners get treated better than the people who have built this nation., ...

Is a policeman who is off duty and out of uniform still able to enforce the law?

Should the death penalty be abolished?
ALL civil countries other than the USA has removed this penalty. Should the USA remove it too? Why or why not?...

Abortion is wrong?
My friend is wanting to get an abortion. how can i stop her? this IS her 13th aborted child. she said children are problems.
Additional Details
I offered to her that i would adopted her ...

What to do when ex is turning off the phone so I can't contact my children?
My ex is really being unbearable. He has always pushed the limits where our children are concerned it seems like he hates me because our children love me too. I recently this year finally got ...

What are the disadvantages of the death penalty?

Is it legal for a husband and wife to work at a business where one is the other's boss?

Additional Details
This is a federal/non profit organization that I work for whose wife currently works there and her husband is going to be director, her and everyone else's boss. ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links