Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

Legally can a hospital refuse to take a patient?
Find answers to your legal question.

Legally can a hospital refuse to take a patient?

My mother was taken to an emergency room with a head injury. The ER/hospital didn't have a head trauma unit and began making the necessary calls to transfer her to another hospital. After an hour of contacting 6 different hospitals that refused to accept her do to space availability, a hospital in a different town accepted her. Nearly 2 hours later she made it to a hospital that had a head trauma unit. Is it legal for a hospital to refuse a patient that needs the services they provide?

togatame
Unfortunately yes it is. Hospitals will turn away ambulances frequently claiming no room. Most every county has a hospital that's contracted with the county to take any and all patients regardless of insurance or ability to pay. Call your county office to find out where it is.
I'm talking about the United states. I don't know about other Countries

m
If they don't have the services to treat her, why would you want her to stay. She should get the best health care that a hospital can provide, and if they can't, then they did the best they could ethically speaking.

puttockc
Rating
if she is stable they can refuse her,
if her vitals are falling or she needs immediate care, they MUST help her
but if she was ok after 2 hours
then she was stable

Hey Sweetie
Rating
Yes hospitals are Private Companies run by CEO and Board of Directors. I got turned down once by an all Black hospital. The fact that people on here said it is illegal to turn people away is freaking scary how stupid people are in the U.S.

njr
Rating
So she was never refused treatment now was she? That is the key. As long as we do not have socialized medicine they cannot refuse to treat her. Finding adequately equipped facilities is not refusing treatment.

Phil F
If the hospital doesn't have the facilities to provide care then I think it's legal to refuse & transfer the patient.
If it has no room then it must transfer the patient, because you need the room in the hospital to lie down and be treated.
It's common sense to refuse a patient if they have no room.
Weather it's legal or not...

xaargh
Rating
I don't think the hospitals technically refused. The issue was more likely that since those hospitals were so full, if she had gone there she would have had to wait even longer for treatment. They were probably telling your first hospital that they couldn't see her right away, she still could have gone there and waited hours and hours for a spot to open up...

soundftc
Rating
Sounds like Albuquerque, the waiting time in the ER is 6 hrs
I'm not joking, we took my father in-law in to the ER in ABQ, he had congestive heart failure and was so swollen he couldn't stand or sit, his legs felt like plastic, we waited from 9 am till 3pm before he was even seen, he died about 3 days, that was at Loveless hospital

spychic19
Yes.

scraven68
Rating
Apparently yes. Do you think this only happened to you this one time?

Core
The first hospital can't help because they don't even have the equipment, they can ship you elsewhere. If a hospital doesn't have room, they don't have room. If their beds are full, all the doctors are busy...do you even want to go there?
ERs do not work on a "first come, first served" policy, they work based on injury. If your mother didn't get ANY care until she was seen 2 hours later and then suffered permanent damage/death you could sue. You may be able to sue if she didn't get any care for 2 hours period. But if they checked her over and she turned out fine in the long run, no, you can't sue because they evaluated her health, judged that she would be okay, and she was.

matt
surely it cant be.

bac_1976
Rating
My understanding of these things is that if a person doesn't have insurance and shows up, they're only responsiblity is to stabilize the person, after that they can be sent away.

sensible_man
Hospitals cannot refuse emergency services. They have no requirement past that.

Gentle Giant
If they do not think they are qualified, or the best qualified, to treat a serious injury than they are duty bound to send the patient to a facility which can give her the best treatment and where the best outcome can be expected.
Why on Earth would you want your Mother, or anyone, to be treated for a serious head trauma by someone who told you upfront that they are not qualified to treat her properly?
Had they treatefd her and things not gone well you would probably have sued them for treating her when they were not qualified to do so. They did the proper thing.

pay it forward
It happens all the time when they don't have enough room. I don't think they can kick her to the curb. I worked at a hospital & they would triage. Which means they would take the ones they could handle & actually take the worst ones & send others home to call their doctors cause they can only handle what they can handle.

hml_0205
In that case they followed the right procedure.it's sad,but that's what they have to do.but how irresponsible of a HOSPITAL to wait that long before getting assistance in curing a HEAD TRAUMA INJURY?! that is crazy.you need to file a lawsuit.she could have died

jossu_candelario
yep

Fatboy
Rating
There are many times that hospitals have to divert patients to other hospitals, especially when their census to too high, or capacity is maxed out, as well as when there isn't enough care providers, due to the same. They can legally divert patients. Look at it this way. If they don't divert when they're maxxed out, anyone else coming in won't get the medical attention they need.

michael_depolo
Yes, they can refuse that is why in the ambulance drivers ask if you are insured or uninsured if you are uninsured you goto a City or County Facility if you are insured you go to the nearest hospital or provider that your insurance uses... If you insurance does not work with that hospital you may have to locate to another hospital after being there to comply with your insurance. However in most emergencies this will be waved by your insurance company... ( I was taken by ambulance to a Round Rock, Tx. Hospital and after arriving, within 30 minutes, I was told to move, by ambulance, to a Georgetown, Tx. Hospital just because Scott and White did not work with the Round Rock, Tx.)!

HOSPITALS REFUSE PATIENTS ALL THE TIME, and ambulance drivers know where to take the uninsured....

Kayla LaBayla
Yes. There's many reasons why they could refuse her, such as, they don't have space, they don't have staff on hand, yadda yadda.

♀hawty♀
Rating
Depending on how serious the injury (or whatever it is) is, yes. If the injury is minor most likely you'd have to wait for a room, but if the injury is as serious as head trauma most hospitals will have a room or make room.

Bitten_Plum
Rating
yes

Ernie
Rating
Hospitals reject patients all the time due to lack of insurance so yes. Their duty is to stabilize the patient and thats it.

speciallittlemush
Rating
I Don't Think They Can In The Uk

But They Can In The USA Because You Need To Pay Like Rent For A Hospital Bed

Wall Street King
it depends on what type of health insurance ur mother has.

and the type of hospital it is.

mtchndjnmtch
No

Babycakes
It depends on where you live....generally speaking a patient can refuse treatment but not the other way around....I would speak to an attorney...

La bella vita
Rating
Its not legal. I would bring them to court for sure.

caligal1971
Rating
No hospital can refuse a patient for any reason what so ever.

minesde
it is sad to see what's happening in America. i went to the emergency room because i had terrible pain in my stomach, i waited over 3 hours never get called. my blood pressure was 187 over 102 they did not care. i left the hopital when i asked for the record of the vitl that the had on her hands she refused to give me a copy.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My freind keeps trying to get with my pregnant partner!?
I was at a party with my pregnant partner and my freind. He started trying to touch my partner,me thinking he was extremely drunk just told him to leave it. He told me at work today that he has ...

I don't understand...murder & abortion?
OK IF MURDER is the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law THEN WHAT'S ABORTION?
Is it the same or something and if so why isn't abortion illegal ...

If you found 30 thousand dollars, would you turn it in for someone to claim?
Think about a wad of bills with a rubberband wrapped around it.
Additional Details
My thinking is 30K is too much cash for some person to be carrying around unless it was made through ...

Should my wife and I conceive to provide my son with a much needed kidney?
What are your thoughts on this....

Is it against the law to kill your self?
wouldnt it be considered murder and how can u be punished if your dead???...

My friend gave me her ipods a month ago and her mom wants me to give them back.?
My friend was getting a 180gig or around that ipod and she didn't need her ipods anymore so she gave them to me. That was around a month ago. The ipods were givin to my friend by her mom around ...

Valerie Plame was in the CIA. What is the big deal about leaking her name?
What did she do for the CIA?...

Can I be given a written warning for being late to work by 28 seconds?
I have been put on a written warning for being late twice to work once 9 seconds and the next 28 seconds?...

Is it legal to be a cannibal in the united states?

Can a cop do this?
okay so my bf came over i'm 15 turning 16 in october and he's 17 turning 18 in march. Well my parents are not home and he came over and then this cop showed up and made him leave. Can he do ...

Let's see, marijuana is illegal. Should we make broccoli illegal? How about cabbage?
Shouldn't marijuana be sold fresh in the supermarket next to the lettuce?
Additional Details
Let's EAT it! Like a salad with croutons and ranch dressing....

Are you against death penalty? Why?
Hi there! I am doing a research on death penalty and would like to know what you folks out there think about the issue. I am mostly looking for people who are against death penalty. Tell me, why do ...

Since abortion is legal...?
Shouldn't we legalize such crimes as rape and murder? After all people commit them anyway, and isn't that one of the left's most popular reasons for abortion?

People claim ...

Should tobacco products be banned?
do you think tobacco products should be banned?
if yes why? if no why?...

Should Marijuana be legalized in the United States?
YES or NO answers ...

If a man kills, cooks and possibly eats his girlfriend should he receive the death penalty or the mental ward?
TYLER, Texas (AP) -- A man killed his girlfriend, then filleted and cooked parts of her body before calling police to tell them what he was doing, authorities said Sunday.

Christopher Lee M...

If i buy my 16 year old gf a cell phone can they get me for child enticement?
hello im 19 and i bought my 16 y/o girlfriend a cell phone. well her parents got mad at that and reported it. can they get me for child enticement (in texas) since i bought it and there are text ...

Do you believe the death penalty should be brought back to Britain?
If so why and fo which sort of crimes? Murder only or do other crimes deserve death?

If not, why not?...

In your opinion, public officials taking oath on the quran, should we allow it?
I say..heck no!

I wouldnt touch the thing except to hold a match to it....

If you are arrested do you get a criminal record?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links